I'm torn between front bumpers

bl17z90

I decided that I want to go with a stubby stinger after I get my rear bumper, which is hopefully soon. I am torn between the LoD Rock Crawler Bumper, and the Evo 1/4 Pounder with the Evo Stinger.

I know some have switched over to the Evo From LoD but I know there are still people who use the LoD. I know the Evo stinger sits higher than the hood which is a great idea but i don't know if the LoD does that. Not really a deal breaker but its the little things like that that I want to hear opinions on. Also living in Maryland we have a law where a front license plate is required, which sucks, so I need to be able to mount one to the bumper that I go with, so if anoyne knows of any quick release setups that work with these or another bumper that is similar post it up please.

So if anyone has experience with either please give me some feedback.

Thanks! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run them both and both are great bumpers. What I do like about the EVO bumper more is that you cut off the lower chin and gain more ground clearance there. Also, the EVO bumper is pulled in as far as it can go providing maximum approach angles and has no sides to get in the way of big tires - a real problem I was having with 37's and up.

bl17z90

Ok, one thing that was drawing me towards LoD was the option to have it powder coated. Evo doesn't seem to offer that on the ORE site but I'm sure painting it with bedliner can't be too difficult. :thinking:

BTW is that Moby in the picture on LoD's site?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, one thing that was drawing me towards LoD was the option to have it powder coated. Evo doesn't seem to offer that on the ORE site but I'm sure painting it with bedliner can't be too difficult. :thinking:

BTW is that Moby in the picture on LoD's site?

Yup, that's Moby and really, powder coating isn't all that it's cracked up to be especially if you live in a state that sees salt on the roads. But, if I recall, LoD does now offer an optional ecoating to help prevent rust. But, maybe I'm thinking of something else.

bl17z90

Yeah we get salt atleast once a year. Is bedliner a good choice for bumpers? Thats what I did on my sliders.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah we get salt atleast once a year. Is bedliner a good choice for bumpers? Thats what I did on my sliders.

Depends on the bedliner and if you applied the optional UV top coat that some offer. The problem with bedliners is that some tend to get porous with time and sunlight and that can become a trap for things like salt. But, this is only with some, not all. Paint is still the easiest to maintain and touch up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Depends on the bedliner and if you applied the optional UV top coat that some offer. The problem with bedliners is that some tend to get porous with time and sunlight and that can become a trap for things like salt. But, this is only with some, not all. Paint is still the easiest to maintain and touch up.

I think he means rattle can bedliner.

Hightower

I've run them both and both are great bumpers. What I do like about the EVO bumper more is that you cut off the lower chin and gain more ground clearance there. Also, the EVO bumper is pulled in as far as it can go providing maximum approach angles and has no sides to get in the way of big tires - a real problem I was having with 37's and up.

I couldn't agree more with Eddie.

I decided that I want to go with a stubby stinger after I get my rear bumper, which is hopefully soon. I am torn between the LoD Rock Crawler Bumper, and the Evo 1/4 Pounder with the Evo Stinger.

I know some have switched over to the Evo From LoD but I know there are still people who use the LoD. I know the Evo stinger sits higher than the hood which is a great idea but i don't know if the LoD does that. Not really a deal breaker but its the little things like that that I want to hear opinions on. Also living in Maryland we have a law where a front license plate is required, which sucks, so I need to be able to mount one to the bumper that I go with, so if anoyne knows of any quick release setups that work with these or another bumper that is similar post it up please.

So if anyone has experience with either please give me some feedback.

Thanks! :thumb:

I have run both I am currently running the EVO bumper but still run LoD rock sliders and rear bumper. I am not going to make this easier for you with this comment but both companies have given me great service and products good luck.:yup:

bl17z90

I have run both I am currently running the EVO bumper but still run LoD rock sliders and rear bumper. I am not going to make this easier for you with this comment but both companies have given me great service and products good luck.:yup:

I already have my evo sliders and I like them and I know I am for sure going to use the LoD rear and the front is the reason this thread was created :bleh:

NY1982JK

Also living in Maryland we have a law where a front license plate is required, which sucks, so I need to be able to mount one to the bumper that I go with, so if anoyne knows of any quick release setups that work with these or another bumper that is similar post it up please.

I'm up in NJ and am going to have the same issue.

Depending on what type of winch fairlead you end up running there are several options out there.

You have this if you end up running a steel cable
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13028_2000.htm

Or if you plan on going synthetic you can go this route
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12107_0912.htm

These are just the first two I found. I'm sure there are plenty of other varieties out there that people could recommend. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Eddie is running something similar to the second link only for a Roller fairlead with a small length of steel cable attaced for security purposes.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

NY1982JK

Just realized I'm not sure if those links are allowed in this thread. My appologies if they aren't, I'll review the thread rules.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I loved the fact that the 1/4 pounder doesn't stick out as far as the LōD bumper. If you don't have E-discos then I would also look at the T&T customs stinger.

bl17z90

Just realized I'm not sure if those links are allowed in this thread. My appologies if they aren't, I'll review the thread rules.

Links are perfectly fine.

I am leaning more towards Vvo, I also like how Eddie had the PureJeep winch gaurd loop on the 1/4 pounder on Rubicat for awile. It would give me the chance to change to a different look if I wanted to.

JK's JK

Banned
I loved the fact that the 1/4 pounder doesn't stick out as far as the LōD bumper. If you don't have E-discos then I would also look at the T&T customs stinger.

How does the winch mount?

Does anyone have pics? I haven't looked at the EVO bumper at all. What about the electric sway bar? Is that protected?

bl17z90

How does the winch mount?

Does anyone have pics? I haven't looked at the EVO bumper at all. What about the electric sway bar? Is that protected?

Based on my research and what others have said, the winch is almost between the frame rails, and Eddie and Cindy still use the e disco sway bar (i think) so I assume it is protected pretty well since they have it on both Jeeps.

Berzerker

So with the Evo bumper the E-discos just need to be rotated up. Your winch does sit forward of the grill between the frame rails. On the T&T Customs bumper you have to completely remove the E-discos and your winch sits under under the grill between the frame rails. That is why I went with Evo rather than T&T. You can only run a 9.5ctis with the T&T. I can run just about any winch with the EVo.

Berzerker

You CAN run a warn Zeon with the EVO, but it requires you to cut out the fair lead hole and flip it to re center the hole.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Based on my research and what others have said, the winch is almost between the frame rails, and Eddie and Cindy still use the e disco sway bar (i think) so I assume it is protected pretty well since they have it on both Jeeps.

With an EVO bumper, your winch will sit down and in between the frame rails. The e-disco just needs to be clocked to get it up and out of the way. Unless I'm not wheeling hard enough, it's plenty safe where it is.

Berzerker

I prefer the Evo 1/4 pounder because I can run a powerplant low enough that it doesn't take significant airflow from the radiator.

Top Bottom