5.13s in a dana 30

Yeahright

Has anybody out there run 5.13s in a dana 30 with 35s and wheeled them reasonably hard, what I want to know is are they strong enought for average wheelin, I will not be giving them a really hard time, just average use with minimal locker use.

Yeahright

JandSJK

I have been running 5.13's in my D30 for alomst a year. I have 35" tires and the automatic. Offroad in low range i love this setup. RPM's are a bit high on the freeway for my taste but thats just me. I'm around 2750rpm at 70mph. I have wheeled quiet a bit over the last year and have had zero issues. Mostly mud and sand with a little bit of rocks thrown in for fun.

Yeahright

JandSJK,
Thanks for that mate, that is exactly what I wanted to know, when you are on a bit of a long road trip does the auto hold top gear well on small hills?, I am willing to put up with the rpm at what you said, because I have been driving mine with the overdrive switched off and it sits at about the same rpm anyway.

mmccurdy

Has anybody out there run 5.13s in a dana 30 with 35s and wheeled them reasonably hard, what I want to know is are they strong enought for average wheelin, I will not be giving them a really hard time, just average use with minimal locker use.

Yeahright

I have 5.13's and even a locker in my front D30. I'm pretty sparing with the locker, and try to be as gentle with it as possible, but I've wheeled this setup pretty hard. I've had breaks at the u-joints, about the same as anyone running a D44, but so far no issues with the ring and pinion.

Since I posted this, I'll just assume I'm going to break my R&P next time I'm out... ;)

JandSJK

I have 5.13's and even a locker in my front D30. I'm pretty sparing with the locker, and try to be as gentle with it as possible, but I've wheeled this setup pretty hard. I've had breaks at the u-joints, about the same as anyone running a D44, but so far no issues with the ring and pinion.

Since I posted this, I'll just assume I'm going to break my R&P next time I'm out... ;)

working in a sawmill ive learnded not to say thing like that cause it never fails to happen after ive said it lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
working in a sawmill ive learnded not to say thing like that cause it never fails to happen after ive said it lol

:cheesy: that's what i was thinking.

as far as u-joints go, if you run a set of basic chromoly shafts, they will come with full circle clips and that will help prevent the common failures you will see on factory shafts.

O_M_Jeep

:cheesy: that's what i was thinking.

as far as u-joints go, if you run a set of basic chromoly shafts, they will come with full circle clips and that will help prevent the common failures you will see on factory shafts.

Depending who you get shafts from, Ten Factory and Alloy USA still use the just over half round clips under the caps, I changed mine from what was sent with the shafts.

A lot of buzz right now about RCV fronts, I cant decide yet about them, but if I break my chromos again this year I'll try them. (thats the excuse I have preparred anyway lol)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Depending who you get shafts from, Ten Factory and Alloy USA still use the just over half round clips under the caps, I changed mine from what was sent with the shafts.

where did you hear this from? i can't speak for Ten Factory but their website shows their front shafts with full circle clips...

frontAxleSm.gif

also, the Alloy USA shafts I ran came with full circle clips...

image-1270241241.jpg

A lot of buzz right now about RCV fronts, I cant decide yet about them, but if I break my chromos again this year I'll try them. (thats the excuse I have preparred anyway lol)

and really, that's all that it is, "buzz". i've run a set before and while they're nice, they're far from being the best thing since sliced bread and can still fail just like anything. for the significantly higher price, i personally don't think they're worth it.

O_M_Jeep

this is what I got from them, I thought I had a pic with the clips, sorry, they are just the little have round pop-on clips, not the full ones that you got, I wish I had gotten the larger clips.

2011-09-14_13-36-42_884.jpg

and yeah, I was just watching the RCV videos, eh, I'll save the extra few hundred for an extra Moab trip lol

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
this is what I got from them

2011-09-14_13-36-42_884.jpg

do you have a shot of the clips you got with the u-joints?

and yeah, I was just watching the RCV videos, eh, I'll save the extra few hundred for an extra Moab trip lol

that's the way i see it. that or what i tell most people is to use the money you save to help pay for a set of prosteer ball joints or on some other more useful mod.

O_M_Jeep

Ok, sorry for the quality, on monday the shafts will be out and I could get a better pic (Im switching to a HPD30 and regearing both axles, right now my Jeep is on 4 V-head pipe stands with no axles under it lol, this shows the clip though, well, one end of the clip, but you can see what kind of clip it is from this pic

2012-05-10_12-06-52_858.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yep, those look like c clips. that totally sucks! i wonder when they started to do that? i can't tell from the pic but, is it safe to assume yokes at least clearanced enough to run full circle clips?

O_M_Jeep

yep, those look like c clips. that totally sucks! i wonder when they started to do that? i can't tell from the pic but, is it safe to assume yokes at least clearanced enough to run full circle clips?

Yes, had I had them they would have fit and worked very well, at the time I bought them I was very new to the world of axles (like Im not now lol), I think I'll be looking for full clips put put on when I pull them out of the LPD30 this next week.

mmccurdy

I've gotten Alloy USA ones that come with both types of clips. The other problem is that the inner OEM shafts are not clearanced to fit the full rings. In fact, there's a little shoulder that the ends of the C's meet up with. It would probably be possible to (carefully) grind the little shoulder and make the full rings work on the OEM shafts, but I was not about to do that on the floor of my Moab condo garage.

The clips are definitely problematic -- I blame most of my failures on them. This is an issue with both D44 and D30 OEM inners though, I think.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've gotten Alloy USA ones that come with both types of clips. The other problem is that the inner OEM shafts are not clearanced to fit the full rings. In fact, there's a little shoulder that the ends of the C's meet up with. It would probably be possible to (carefully) grind the little shoulder and make the full rings work on the OEM shafts, but I was not about to do that on the floor of my Moab condo garage.

The clips are definitely problematic -- I blame most of my failures on them. This is an issue with both D44 and D30 OEM inners though, I think.

yep, both the factory dana 30 and 44 have this problem and yes, you can technically grind down the factory yokes to allow for the use of full circle clips. however, i'm quite sure that all chromoly shafts come with enough clearnace on the yoke to allow for full circle clips to be installed and without any modifications needed. or, at least that's how they used to come standard.

Top Bottom