LF Central Oregon tips

Evilidea

Hi,
I'm going to be in central Oregon (Madras, just north of Bend) on Aug 16-19 and was hoping to find a decent day trip for some family style Jeepin'

Anyone here familiar with the area and have any advice. I lived there once but that was 21 some odd yrs ago and I only remember a few roads that you can't really call wheeling cause we used to run em at high speeds in tiny lil Datsun pikups.

Evilidea

No one live in this area. It's OK Madras is one of the last places I would live too. I'm thinking maybe goin down to Smith Rocks or maybe follow the metolius river out towards Mt. Jefferson but no definitive plans yet other than getting the kids to Madras to see my grandpa for his 96th b-day party at the DI in Metolius

I will also be traveling through the Ochoco Nat'l Forest if anyone knows any great destinations there.

Last edited:

Evilidea

My Inet skills are weak sauce apparently. Either that or there is nothing to do in the Ochoco's other than big bull elk hunt. Trip is creeping up on me fast so any advice for fun is needed. Any links some of you Inet ninjas can post would be appreciated.

David1tontj

Hey I am new here and this is my first post, but one of my favorite trails is only about an hour west is bend. It is called the "quack attack trail" at santiam pass on hwy 20. Near hoodoo. This is a trail I have run 3 times, once in 12" of snow. That was a crazy trip!! It is on the extreme side of things and you should definately bring some bug spray this time of year!

David1tontj

I would definately recommend looking at some videos of it on YouTube or something before committing to it. The first time I went the only other rigs I saw were straight up rock buggies!

Evilidea

Holy crap a reply, and with some info for me too. I will check out youtube, but this is full family trip and solo, (w/winch) so if it looks too hairy I will continue to look. Thanks again for the info.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hey I am new here and this is my first post, but one of my favorite trails is only about an hour west is bend. It is called the "quack attack trail" at santiam pass on hwy 20. Near hoodoo. This is a trail I have run 3 times, once in 12" of snow. That was a crazy trip!! It is on the extreme side of things and you should definately bring some bug spray this time of year!

Hey David. Welcome to wayalife :standing wave:

I have a really good friend who is from Philomath. Given the size of the town I'm sure you know him. I didn't have a jeep when I lived up there (Corvallis), but we put a lot of time offroad in his trucks. I'd love to get back up there and wheel now. :yup:

David1tontj

It is on the tough side. ( they require you to carry a spill kit, fire extinguisher and shovel, along with a couple other normal things) but I didn't know how built your rig was. I always try to run it with at least one other rig. As far as family goes, it ends near a pretty cool lake I can't remember the name of. Wish I had more info for you, and I really wish I didn't have plans for that weekend so I could show you in person. Hope you find something fun!

Top Bottom