Electric Jeep

So a friend of mine just purchased a Tesla S last week and yesterday we went out for a drive. I have to say the car is beautiful, fast and rides great. After an hour of goofing off we headed back to my place and shot the shit for a little while when the topic of an Electric Jeep came up. Other then the limited range, we both thought a Electric Jeep would be awesome.

So question is, what do you guys think and would you buy one if Jeep offered one up?

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yes, with separate completely waterproof electric motors in each hub. At low speeds you could run the wheels in different directions to turn the vehicle around like a tank.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I am sure the mall crawler model would be popular but for real jeeping probably not so much.

Like you said limited range and limited locations to recharge are going to kill it. Most places that people go wheeling are remote and there is no way there will be anywhere to recharge.

Not sure what the weight is between the motors and batteries but I am guessing they are pretty heavy.

Water crossings and wet wheeling could spell death for an electric jeep.

NTRubicon

Agreed on the separate motors for each wheel, would be great. Maybe solar panels in the hard top, or by that stage in technological development, maybe we can figure out how to use graphene as a sort of 'paint on' solar panel system that can be applied wherever we want. Hard top, soft top or no top, you could be getting a perpetual battery charge so long as you are out in the sun!

Or do what Chevy did with the volt and install a small gas generator or even better diesel generator

Last edited:

Aeraun

If they figured out a way to integrate the electric drive train and still give us everything we love about our Jeeps, then sure, why not. But we all know electric cars will never really be the next mode of transportation. At least not anytime soon. The oil companies will never allow it.

EasyE

I am sure the mall crawler model would be popular but for real jeeping probably not so much.

Like you said limited range and limited locations to recharge are going to kill it. Most places that people go wheeling are remote and there is no way there will be anywhere to recharge.

Not sure what the weight is between the motors and batteries but I am guessing they are pretty heavy.

Water crossings and wet wheeling could spell death for an electric jeep.

RC electric jeeps drive underwater with ease !! Not just the motors the whole vehicle..

Tcdawg

EasyE said:
RC electric jeeps drive underwater with ease !! Not just the motors the whole vehicle..

RC trucks still need to be waterproofed before the motor and ESC can be submerged

bornjeep

haha.. you'd have to use direct drive motors for each wheel or build it with something like Moby's new pro rock 80. Otherwise the torque from the electric motor would shread current jeep axles/drive shafts.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
haha.. you'd have to use direct drive motors for each wheel or build it with something like Moby's new pro rock 80. Otherwise the torque from the electric motor would shread current jeep axles/drive shafts.

Boy, you got that right. Electric has its place, and the trail is a good place. Probably torquier than diesel. But like trash, you gotta pack it home (trailer).:D

Top Bottom