EVO oil pan skid

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

I was reading the write up on the oil pan skid. The torque says 85 in lbs. Now was this a type'o and meant to say ft. lbs? I went to sears to see about a torque wrench with inch pounds and found all of them are foot pounds.

Skid_Kid

Hi Guys,

I was reading the write up on the oil pan skid. The torque says 85 in lbs. Now was this a type'o and meant to say ft. lbs? I went to sears to see about a torque wrench with inch pounds and found all of them are foot pounds.

I don't think it is FTLBs. I believe the write up is correct.

Markymark420

If you are referring to the re-installtion of the oil pan bolts it is most likely in inch pounds. If you try to apply 85lbs/ft of torque to those bolts you will surely strip the shit out of the threads and/or snap the bolts.

Inch pound torque wrenches are common. Sears should have them. If not check Lowe's, they had some on sale a couple of weeks ago.

You could convert by dividing by 12. But, 85 divided by 12 is only about 7lbs/ft and good luck finding a foot pound torque wrench that will register that low.

JKbrick

Please verify this but the sheet I have says 105 in. pounds. That is for the 3.8, (not sure about the 3.6,) which is 8.75 ft. Lbs

JK's JK

Banned
Thank you guys for the input and I went back to Sears and sure enough it was not on the shelf. I asked the clerk and it was in the back!!!!!! $59 later and a hell of a lot of heart ache, I got that thing in!

So I went over to my trans skid plate...................................Let me tell you it should have been a EASY install but NO it was not. I got all the bolts in and the last one........................................................stripped (my heart sank). I was having issues with that hole and seemed the previous person may have cross threaded or something because the threads did not look in good shape. So I went and got a die set. I started to do that and cleared out the hole with break cleaner.There was enough threads to get another bolt into the hole. Went over to OSH and picked up a M8X1.25 20mm length bolt with a washer. So I put everything back together and placed lock tight on that bolt. Just hope I didn't need to place lock tight on any other ones!!!!! I do however believe there should be new bolts placed in with the package or pick some new ones up that are longer.

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
Very stupid question. My trans fluid is now leaking since i placed place the skid on. Should i remove and reseal?

JK's JK

Banned
I think i bumbed the seal and saw some fluid at the bottom of the skid plate after driving 10 miles. The bolts are tight and im very sure

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think i bumbed the seal and saw some fluid at the bottom of the skid plate after driving 10 miles. The bolts are tight and im very sure

On your transmission sump pan? Are you sure you're seeing ATF and not oil?

JK's JK

Banned
I installed the oil pan and the trans skid and the plate that that goes between them.

Sorry didnt see the post

JK's JK

Banned
Thank you Eddie for the input. I'll keep a eye on the problem and hope it doesn't increase. Thank you for the link as well

pastorwug

Exact same thing happened to me.
Put the oil pan skid on - no problems
Put the tranny skid pan on - constant leaking
Got tired of the oil stains on the driveway and just yanked it off - so it sits in my garage, not sure what to do other than the entire tranny pan taken off and putting new RTV on along with the tranny skid pan.
If it leaks after all that then I'll make a planter out of the skid pan.:thinking:

Actually, the tranny skid pan I purchased from Northridge came to me bent, I tried pounding out the dent and I think I'll call EVO to try and get a replacement before totally giving up.

Here was my previous thread:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?9581-EVO-Transmission-Skid-2011-JKU

Last edited:

pastorwug

As I hoped both EVO (Mel) and Northridge 4X4 (David) were great helps and a new EVO 1102B Tranny Skid Pan is on the way. :clap2:

JK's JK

Banned
I did notice the steel that butts up against the pan wasn't a 100% flat. I figured it would be ok.........I hope.

I however was discussing with a mechanic at work about the issue I ran into over the weekend on the aluminum block. He didn't seem to think it's a smart idea to bolt a steel plate against a aluminum block. If it did get hit at what force could it take and at what point can the bolts hold since the bolts are now shorter? I'd hate to have those bolts shear off, cracking the aluminum block....... Just a thought

Top Bottom