My spacers bolts and nut is rusting

cuongdyna

I was rotating my tires today. This is what I came across. What can I do to prevent the rest from coming back again?

image-1162024221.jpg

Millerj87

Aluminum won't rust but if steel touches it, it will ie studs, lug nuts, or socket

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

Millerj87

You could spray with fozz rust killer/ preventative and use lightweight loctite on threads to seal from elements

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

Tcdawg

If those are Spidertraxx then they are aluminum, no rust.

If you are talking about the lugs, you could use anti-seize.

JKbrick

I think that is called electrolysis, so you could use a dielectric grease I assume? Never have put grease on wheel studs before so ask someone smarter than me is your best bet 👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it's just me but, I'm not really seeing a whole lot there. Is it really that big of a deal to address? If you do use anti-seize or the like, just make sure not to get any on the part of the stud that requires red loc-tite.

Clean up the bolts with a wire brush with out scratching the aluminum. Use WD-40 on the bolts prior to using the wire brush. Wipe clean and then spray them down WD-40. To preserve them I would recommend using a spray preservative like Fluid Film. You can google it. I use Fluid Film prior to closing up panels on the aircraft I work on. It is a corrosion inhibitor.

Top Bottom