Sway bar not disconnecting

JK's JK

Banned
So I got all my crap done today along with the skids and fixing the lights on my dash. I decided to find a small hill and see my flex for the first time. I placed my 4w low, lockers and hit my sway bar button with no affect at all. The sway bar light starts to flash and then comes in solid. I tried this several times with turning the sway bar off and then again back on. I know I am not flexing this at all since the front end still looks to be straight. Any thoughts?

MTG

Caught the Bug
The solid sway bar light means it is disco'd. Did you drive it and try to flex it out?

JK's JK

Banned
I went forward a few feet before going up on a baby dirt hill. Just keep in mind this is the first time trying this out.

Paisano

The solid sway bar light means it is disco'd. Did you drive it and try to flex it out?

What he said... Maybe next time drive it over that baby dirt hill. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
I went forward a few feet before going up on a baby dirt hill. Just keep in mind this is the first time trying this out.

Just reread your first post and this.

1) if you are on the pavement do NOT turn on your lockers.
2) you do not need to put it in 4lo to use your e disco it will work in 4 hi
3) you will not notice whether it is disconnected unless you are on an uneven surface where one tire is higher than the other.

:yup:

JK's JK

Banned
Just reread your first post and this.

1) if you are on the pavement do NOT turn on your lockers.
2) you do not need to put it in 4lo to use your e disco it will work in 4 hi
3) you will not notice whether it is disconnected unless you are on an uneven surface where one tire is higher than the other.

:yup:

Well maybe I should state what I did a little bit better :shock: I went up a baby hill on one side of the jeep to see the jeep would flex. When I performed all this I was about 6 feet away with a solid light on. I thought it would disconnect right away!!! I did have a TJ before this but it was manual disconnects.

HLKSMSH

Try the hill or a load ramp if you make it this far its disconnected.

Attachments

• 1000579_10151796412252958_1087557306_n.jpg
    1000579_10151796412252958_1087557306_n.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 140

MTG

Caught the Bug
Well maybe I should state what I did a little bit better :shock: I went up a baby hill on one side of the jeep to see the jeep would flex. When I performed all this I was about 6 feet away with a solid light on. I thought it would disconnect right away!!! I did have a TJ before this but it was manual disconnects.

Yeah, you probably should have. :)

It should disconnect right away. :thumb:

JK's JK

Banned
Try the hill or a load ramp if you make it this far its disconnected.

There was no flex at all. The front end was almost straight but the backend was doing what it should. I'll have to investigate a little bit more it seems!!!

Paisano

There was no flex at all. The front end was almost straight but the backend was doing what it should. I'll have to investigate a little bit more it seems!!!

Be sure to take a pic so we can see. On a side note you shouldn't need your lockers on for a baby hill.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I've noticed with a lift there's quite a bit of flex before you'll notice the disconnect having an effect, find a good ramp or big boulder to get one side really off the ground

TheStick

If the light was solid it should be disco'd. Unless it pulled a tire up off the ground on this baby hill not sure what you're getting at.

Maybe try a bigger hill and see what happens.

xflstl

If your driving say even 5 mph and hit the disco, you should be able to feel it disconnect.... It will be noticeable.

JK's JK

Banned
Ok Guys,

Here are the pictures of the baby hill. I first tried without placing the jeep in 4x4 but the sway bar light was flashing. Then I tried it in 4x4 and the light was solid.

The backend is doing what it should do but as you can see the sway bar is in place!!!

DSC01253.JPG DSC01254.JPG DSC01255.JPG DSC01256.JPG

JeepFan

Hooked
Approach that hill at a 45 degree angle. your right front tire needs to ramp up and your left front tire should be at the bottom of the hill. Then, look at your sway bar. The right side will be up much higher than the left.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Approach that hill at a 45 degree angle. your right front tire needs to ramp up and your left front tire should be at the bottom of the hill. Then, look at your sway bar. The right side will be up much higher than the left.

What he said. You could even do that on the burm you posted up. Or, remove the bottom bolt securing one sway bar link to the axle and try rotating the sway bar up and down. If it's locked, you will not be able to do this.

JK's JK

Banned
I'll remove my manual disconnects and see if they rotate. Do i need to be in first gear for them to disconnnect? Ill get back to u guys

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll remove my manual disconnects and see if they rotate. Do i need to be in first gear for them to disconnnect? Ill get back to u guys

You need to be in 4WD. Push the button and then wait for the light to stop blinking. Once it's solid, you should be able to rotate the side of the sway bar arm that has it's link disconnected. It may take some effort as the rubber bushing can be tight but, if it is disconnected, it will rotate.

JK's JK

Banned
I found a bigger dirt mound and sure enough it worked. I then disconnected the front end all together with the manual disconnects and it stuffed the tire 2-3 inches more into the wheel well. I then tried it again with the disconnects connected and the sway bar disconnected and sure enough it wasn't as much. I think its some how binding on the passenger side. I also did notice the springs seem to be really stiff or is that common?

Top Bottom