JK Trailer Towing

matt08jk

My wife and I are moving next week down to Fort Rucker and need to pull a 5x8 Uhaul trailer (around 2000#) behind my 08 JKR (it has a factory hitch package but Im not sure how to tell if its the "max" tow package or not). I have found confusing info showing that 2000# OR 3500# is the max tow capacity. Can anyone shed some light on what is actually safe to tow? Are there any tips that anybody has with towing behind a JK?

Skid_Kid

I don't think you will have an issue. Just make sure the weight is evenly distributed and your not too heavy or light on the tongue.

Sent from my PRC-119

jeeeep

Hooked
if you have an automatic, disable your OD - don't wait until the trans starts lugging or searching for gears, it'll heat up your fluid faster.

Rebel JK

I just towed a 12' trailer up to the sierras and as a precaution I went ahead and installed a transmission cooler. Also gave me a good excuse to pick up the traildash so I could watch the tranny temp and reprogram for tow mode. Don't know if you'll be rolling down any long grades or not but I would recommend using your engine braking as much as possible.

matt08jk

Ill disable my OD. No long grades for us, luckily. We have trimmed some of the trailer weight, so should only be about 1500#. Thanks for the help/advice everyone. That's what I like about this forum! Just got my WAL cowl decals and windshield decal and put them on...Im thinking they will balance out the trailer weight? Better aerodynamics?

suicideking

Might want to consider the brake controller too if the trailer has brakes. Not sure it would be worth it if you're just towing one time though.

I have a tent trailer and am going to get the brake controller.

Devallee

X2 on the tranny cooler. I installed one because I frequently pull quads and camping gear and had an issue with the tranny overheating. Installed the tranny cooler and switched OD off everytime I tow and haven't had an issue since :thumb:

Top Bottom