matt08jk's build thread

matt08jk

Slowly but surely...here's my build thread.

Started with a 2008 JK Rubi that had 32" Firestone Destination M/Ts and otherwise stockalicious. These pics are over the last 3-4 months:

First thing: Smittybilt XRC8 Winch on SB Winch Plate, Stubby Bumper Conversion, Pulled out all the Carpet.
winchplate.JPG

Then I drove it some:
jeep fay.JPG

Then: US Flag Decals, Mirror Relocation Bracket and Bedlined the wheels.
matt08jk.JPG

Fender Chop:
jeepavatar.JPG

Teraflex Leveling Kit and Spydertrax 1.75":
jeepor1.JPG

...and then...WAL Decals:
WAL decals.JPG

Next up: 35" NITTO TGs or 315 GY Duratracs, Metalcloak front and rear bumpers...and a growing list of more stuff.
:beer:

matt08jk

I am trying to get the rig ready for 35s. With the fender chop, spacers and leveling kit I think they will fit. Would anybody recommend the AEV Procal for the speedo correction or is there a better bet? That said, is it a good idea to throw on some c-gussets first as well? I have read up on strengthening the Cs, and I want to progressively wheel harder and harder (as my driving skill hopefully improves :blush:). Is there anything else I am missing before throwing 35s on? I want to do everything in an order that makes sense.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I am trying to get the rig ready for 35s. With the fender chop, spacers and leveling kit I think they will fit. Would anybody recommend the AEV Procal for the speedo correction or is there a better bet? That said, is it a good idea to throw on some c-gussets first as well? I have read up on strengthening the Cs, and I want to progressively wheel harder and harder (as my driving skill hopefully improves :blush:). Is there anything else I am missing before throwing 35s on? I want to do everything in an order that makes sense.

yes get s procal or something that allows you to properly set your tire size. this will fix your shift points (if you have an auto) as well as your speedo. Gussets will be needed as well. i have 35's on now and am paitently waiting for mine to arrive from evo before i wheel. (im a little schechy about driving now without them). also if you wheel i think eddie has said a few times that for flex purposes you should run at least a 2.5" lift and flat fneders to clear 35's. the leveling kit is good for DD, flat fenders and 35's

matt08jk

yes get s procal or something that allows you to properly set your tire size. this will fix your shift points (if you have an auto) as well as your speedo. Gussets will be needed as well. i have 35's on now and am paitently waiting for mine to arrive from evo before i wheel. (im a little schechy about driving now without them). also if you wheel i think eddie has said a few times that for flex purposes you should run at least a 2.5" lift and flat fneders to clear 35's. the leveling kit is good for DD, flat fenders and 35's

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info. Another noob question, since the leveling kit is only a few coil spacers and some longer sway bar links, can I leave those parts on and get some new shocks and a few other pieces to turn the lift into a 2.5"?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok, cool. Thanks for the info. Another noob question, since the leveling kit is only a few coil spacers and some longer sway bar links, can I leave those parts on and get some new shocks and a few other pieces to turn the lift into a 2.5"?

to be honest with you i truely dont know. i can make an educated guess tho and say no. reason is because you (and i) have 2 doors which are lighter than 4 doors obviously. from my knowledge all, if not a vast majority, of lift kits are made for 4 doors. this means we gain more than the 2.5" advertised.

i guess you should try it out with the 35's first and see if and/or how much you rub at full flex before you go and buy any new suspention parts

matt08jk

35" NITTO TGs are arriving tomorrow! CANT WAIT! Waiting on my procal/c-gussets and rear d-ring mounts to show up too!!!

matt08jk

35" Trail Grapplers mounted. Need to repaint the new weights and cut my pinch seam/rubi rail (later today). Very happy with the look, cant wait to get them on the trail!
matt08jk351.jpg
matt08jk352.jpg
matt08jk353.jpg

matt08jk

Did a few more additions today...EVO Rear-D Ring Mounts and the Smittybilt SRC Oversized Tire Carrier.
matt08jk rear.jpg
matt08jk rear2.jpg
A couple of notes that I wanted to share:
First, the frame opening on the passenger side was about an 1/8th of an inch narrower than driver and the EVO D-ring mount would not fit. It was as easy as grinding down one corner of the mount, blasting with bed liner and then it slid in just fine.
matt08jk dring.jpg
matt08jk dring2.jpg
Next, with the oversized tire carrier...I also put in the MBRP reinforcement kit which comes with the following brackets that mount inside the tailgate on the opposite site of the body. You have to reach through the vent to put them in place.
matt08jk bracket.jpg
To put these on, you had to "simply" break the welded nuts from the inside of the tailgate that took the original bolts for the stock carrier. The bolts they send to help with this broke, so I just used the bolts that came with the tire carrier and a rubber hammer. It took some sturdy knocks to break each one free.
matt08jk bracket2.jpg
Last, I put 35x12.5r17 Nitto Trail Graps on the carrier and the two upright supports stood so far out from the tailgate that you could barely set the hub of the wheel on the carrier post. If you look at the pic below, the instructions have you install two spacers for each bolt, I took one spacer out from each and the 12.5" wide tire now mounts securely on the carrier post and fits snug now.
matt08jk bracket3.jpg

Hope that helps anybody that wants to do either of these mods! Cheers ! :beer:

JKbrick

Looks good! My d-rings slid right in but the nut in the frame took a few minutes to get in and started

matt08jk

looking good, i was wonder how well that mount worked out.

Thanks, it seems pretty solid sitting in my driveway :blush: We will see how it holds on the trail...I am glad that I put in the reinforcement kit, makes it seem sturdier.

Top Bottom