Help with vibration and whine from front end.

DirtyJeeP

Ok so recently my front end started vibrating and then a squeal developed. It vibrates in 2 or 4 hi at any speed over 20mph. I removed the front drive shaft and the noise and vibration went away. I inspected the D/S and found the front u joint was going bad. Replaced both u joints and made sure to mark everything prior to disassembly and match up marking on assembly to prevent the D/S from being out of balance. The vibration is not as severe but still have the whine. Put it in 4hi and noise gets quieter under a load but comes back when I lift off the gas. As of right now I have the front drive shaft off. If I put if in 4hi there is no noise but obviously the same load is not on the front output shaft. What could it be. Bad driveshaft or transfer case. Need to figure it out fast going out of town Thursday and I'm driving my Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When you say you replaced "both" u-joints, are you saying you have an aftermarket drive shaft and if so, did you mean to say that you replaced all 3 u-joints? If so, did you check the condition of your double cardin's centering ball?

Mr.T

Ok so recently my front end started vibrating and then a squeal developed. It vibrates in 2 or 4 hi at any speed over 20mph. I removed the front drive shaft and the noise and vibration went away. I inspected the D/S and found the front u joint was going bad. Replaced both u joints and made sure to mark everything prior to disassembly and match up marking on assembly to prevent the D/S from being out of balance. The vibration is not as severe but still have the whine. Put it in 4hi and noise gets quieter under a load but comes back when I lift off the gas. As of right now I have the front drive shaft off. If I put if in 4hi there is no noise but obviously the same load is not on the front output shaft. What could it be. Bad driveshaft or transfer case. Need to figure it out fast going out of town Thursday and I'm driving my Jeep.
Maybe the DS is bent, but in any case here's what I'd do: Jack the front up and put it on jack stands. With the xfer case in 2HI rotate the DS with a straight edge (or dial indicator) at a few places along the DS. Something is likely bent or running out.
:beer:

DirtyJeeP

Yes it is an aftermarket 1310 driveshaft unknown manufacturer. Looks like an RE though. The splined slip joint in the middle of the D/S has a lot of play in it. Is this normal. I will try to see if the shaft is bent tomorrow.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it is an aftermarket 1310 driveshaft unknown manufacturer. Looks like an RE though. The splined slip joint in the middle of the D/S has a lot of play in it. Is this normal. I will try to see if the shaft is bent tomorrow.

Depends on what you mean by "a lot". Your shaft doesn't need to be bent to give you vibrations, could just be out of balance or in need of a rebuild. Squealing typically comes from a bad centering ball on the double cardan.

DirtyJeeP

It doesn't have a double cardin joint just a single Cardin. Cardin mounts to flange on front axle housing, and u joint is bolted up to the yoke on the transfer case. I'll upload a photo of the driveshaft in the morning. My phone isn't letting me right now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't have a double cardin joint just a single Cardin. Cardin mounts to flange on front axle housing, and u joint is bolted up to the yoke on the transfer case. I'll upload a photo of the driveshaft in the morning. My phone isn't letting me right now.

Well that could be a part of your problem right there. Depending on how much lift you have, you're more than likely way beyond the operating angle of your shaft. Could be your splines are just worn out now and behaving like a jump rope.

DirtyJeeP

I think your right. I bought the jeep used so I'm trying to find out what parts were installed. It has a RE 3.5" long arm lift based on measurements. The play in the drive shaft was more than I'm used to seeing but had to ask. Thanks ill buy a new driveshaft and see how that goes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think your right. I bought the jeep used so I'm trying to find out what parts were installed. It has a RE 3.5" long arm lift based on measurements. The play in the drive shaft was more than I'm used to seeing but had to ask. Thanks ill buy a new driveshaft and see how that goes.

"measurements"? Unless you have all new mounting brackets and much longer radius arms bolted to them, you probably just have a regular kit.

DirtyJeeP

No it's a standard long arm lift kit but I based the amount of lift using that useful diagram you posted on how to verify/ check the amount of lift. That's what I meant by measurements.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No it's a standard long arm lift kit but I based the amount of lift using that useful diagram you posted on how to verify/ check the amount of lift. That's what I meant by measurements.

Right, but that diagram only helpd you to determine how much lift you have, not if you have a long arm or short arm kit. So, for instance, how long are your front lower arms? Standard front lower control arms will measure about 23" eye to eye where as a long arm will be closer 34" eye to eye. Again, lift height has nothing to do with how long your arms are.

DirtyJeeP

It is a long arm lift with radius arms without measuring them they are approx 36"-48" give or take. They mount from the front axle to the crossmember mid chassis.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, just checking.

Also, I've installed a set of RE drive shafts in the past and they are made by a company called Powertrain here in SoCal. They are all double cardans just like most every aftermarket shaft I have seen so, you might have some kind of custom shaft. Either way, replacing it should help things out.

Top Bottom