cb radio static

seanb123

So im new to the whole cb radio so bare with me but i installed one today. I am getting a lot of static i can pick up some guys being that i live close to a highway but its pretty staticy. Being that I dont have anyone to test it with my question is when im on the trails with the static become less with squelch

jeeeep

Hooked
which model CB did you install, which antenna are you using and can you post pics of your antenna mount?

seanb123

its a uniden 510 nothing special just basic setup with a Firestick. As im thinking i might have installed the antenna mount wrong. I have the spacer, bracket, stock carrier then washer then bolt. Im thinking i should move the bracket to the door right?

jeeeep

Hooked
its a uniden 510 nothing special just basic setup with a Firestick. As im thinking i might have installed the antenna mount wrong. I have the spacer, bracket, stock carrier then washer then bolt. Im thinking i should move the bracket to the door right?

having the antenna grounded is important - can you take a pic?

did you get a SWR meter with the CB?

depending on how you have your coax, here are a couple of ways the antenna coax should be put together, there was a post that also discussed CD install/ static:

ant-mount.jpg

AntennaMountInstructions-1.JPG

seanb123

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375686809.179619.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375686825.768994.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375686837.718939.jpg

Here's what I got I'm thinking to move the bracket to the front? And the antenna and mount were all set up when I got them kinda just screwed in the antenna and called it a a day. No meter so I'm kinda winging it

jeeeep

Hooked
yes move the bracket to the front and make sure you have a good ground- you may have to add a separate ground cable to the bracket, you can test it after you move it, just run a ground wire to a bare portion of your bumper or somewhere close - if the static clears up you'll have your answer

seanb123

I have messed with it with no result. Only thing is I'm just kinda scanning could it be that I have no one close enough

JaySC

I'm also getting a lot of static with my cobra 29 and 2' Firestik...except when I switch to the weather channel. The calibration seemed ok, so I'm just going to leave it alone for now. Man, I wish they built a police scanner in this radio.

Tackerdown

Banned
upu8a5ad.jpg

Get a good ground for sure. You can do a mock one just to test it before you put it in the right way. Your squelch should silence the noise regardless ov your swr setting. I have a swr meter if I see you at Rausch. Its a good 35 years old but still works good

Sent from my SPH-L720

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375923633165.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375923633165.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 85
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375923676072.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375923676072.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

xtremefx4

U might need to ground the radio too. Do u get engine whine too? Like when u rev up u can hear it through the speaker?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

WHITECHOCDADDY

I'm using a cobra 18 with noaa and a firestik ant mounted on the spare tire carrier with a spare spacer. I did a lot of research and most say you should mount the antenna on the front. Mine comes in good but does not go out far. My buddy mounted his on the front driver hinge and does well maybe its just a faulty radio.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JaySC

This is how my antenna is mounted. Where in the front did your friend mount his antenna?

Attachments

• 20130804_192757.jpg
    20130804_192757.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 79

jeeeep

Hooked
mine is mounted in the rear, center on tire carrier no issues. it is just slightly above the roof line but also adjusted SWR so I have the same levels on the 3 testing channels indicated 1, 19 and 40 all below 2.0

Ldogg

There is a nylon lip on the fire ring, it needs to face towards the bracket and not the bolt. Make sense? I have a cobra 75 and a tailgate mounted 4' firestik firefly. You need to get an swr meter to calibrate unless your cb included one. Make sure the coax isn't shorted out because of damage and make sure you test outside of a garage with 20-30 feet of open air around and you are in the jeep, not standing next to it.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375929093.387338.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375929104.297849.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375929125.798477.jpg

Xodius

Banned
You can always add a noise line reducer, (not sure if that is what it is actually called) If you have any spare USB cords you have one. It is the plastic piece that the line wraps around. Worked great on mine.

Top Bottom