Which Or Fab carrier should I get?

Tranquillity

Yeah, time to sell my TF hinged carrier for something else. Or Fab is more likely my best bet and I see there's a couple of models like jerry can version or non jerry can one. Found some people complaining about departure angle. Is it something really bad ? I kinda like to carry some jerry can but still.

Also, would anybody have anything bad to say about this carrier ? I don't want to switch to a third carrier in two years...

Any other suggestion? Keeping in mind that I'm plenty satisfied with my 35" I think that EVO is a little overkill... And I'm paranoid carrying it to the tailgate so I don't mind investing a little on this, plus it get a better look :thumb:

Kneece

Yeah, time to sell my TF hinged carrier for something else. Or Fab is more likely my best bet and I see there's a couple of models like jerry can version or non jerry can one. Found some people complaining about departure angle. Is it something really bad ? I kinda like to carry some jerry can but still.

Also, would anybody have anything bad to say about this carrier ? I don't want to switch to a third carrier in two years...

Any other suggestion? Keeping in mind that I'm plenty satisfied with my 35" I think that EVO is a little overkill... And I'm paranoid carrying it to the tailgate so I don't mind investing a little on this, plus it get a better look :thumb:

I really like my OrFab Tire carrier with Rotex fuel cans. It doesn't stick out as far as the Gerry can version. I pull a trailer for work sometimes.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375710762.537862.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375710782.134614.jpg

Sent by Pony Express

GCM 2

Yep, get the Rotopax version! I had the older Gerry can version since they had not yet made the newer version for the Rotopax. For the price you get a really solid, well designed, practically bomb proof carrier. I carried a 40" spare for two years with mine and put the thing thru hell and it never failed. I no longer run it due to an early morning, fog of sleep, airport parking garage accident when I backed into a large cement column at the perfect angle to bend it really bad. Other than that, I would still be running it

Attachments

• image-2117670607.jpg
    image-2117670607.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 167
  • image-1230737780.jpg
    image-1230737780.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 165
  • image-2335231680.jpg
    image-2335231680.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 168

Napalm90

Yep, get the Rotopax version! I had the older Gerry can version since they had not yet made the newer version for the Rotopax. For the price you get a really solid, well designed, practically bomb proof carrier. I carried a 40" spare for two years with mine and put the thing thru hell and it never failed. I no longer run it due to an early morning, fog of sleep, airport parking garage accident when I backed into a large cement column at the perfect angle to bend it really bad. Other than that, I would still be running it

Look at that nice, non smashed hood. Bet you miss that.

GCM 2

Look at that nice, non smashed hood. Bet you miss that.

Haha! The photo with the hardtop was a long time ago, I have managed to put my mark on that one, plus one more! It's like I have something against hoods, or hoods with ORE stickers :idontknow:

GCM 2

Glad to hear good things about it. I will go down the rotopax path then :beer:

There are not a whole bunch of guys on this forum running OR Fab stuff, but on a few others there is a huge OR Fab following. The company is an Arizona based mfg and they are definitely known for awesome customer service, and the way they pack items for shipping, it's crazy how much protectition my carrier was packed in. They company had actually used a thread on the 'old JK Forum' to design a bumper and rear quarter armor based solely on forum input. It was actually kind of cool watching the revisions get posted and voted on.

Check the for sale section, I think Strizzy Chris is selling one.

Edit: it's the Gerry can version, sorry.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?9411-OR-Fab-Tire-Carrier

Last edited:

OH9JK

I have been running the Gerry can carrier for a few years now and have zero complaints.

One thing I would tell you is that the Blitz metal Gerry cans are hard to come by anymore. You can get NATO can adapters from OR-FAB but will set you back another $50 or so each.

I like the ability to carry 10 gallons of fuel so the rotopax would not be my first choice.

Here is a good picture showing how far the Jeep will climb before hitting the spare tire (33")

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375723638.688801.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Great comments from GCM2. I'm looking strongly at this carrier as well. Obviously EVO is great. But this carrier saves a few bucks and doesn't require rear skins (though can be added later or on initial install).

The Gerry version does stick out a little too far for me. So the rotopak version is a great alternative. Or they also have a non-can version if your not set on extra containers.

I'll be running one of these two in the coming months once I start/finish my build.

Tranquillity

Great comments from GCM2. I'm looking strongly at this carrier as well. Obviously EVO is great. But this carrier saves a few bucks and doesn't require rear skins (though can be added later or on initial install).

The Gerry version does stick out a little too far for me. So the rotopax version is a great alternative. Or they also have a non-can version if your not set on extra containers.

I'll be running one of these two in the coming months once I start/finish my build.

Yes there's a non jerry can version. Would have been a "reasonable" alternative since it's way cheaper but it seems it won't be as strong as the one with rotopax. On northridge they say that the rotopax can go up to 37" while the two others are up to 35". Also, on the rotopax they say that it relocate the spare 5.5 inch higher and no info about the other two.

I just noticed that the third eye isn't there anymore. Might be a problem with the law here. Gotta check it out, else I will have to figure something out.

Kneece

Yes there's a non jerry can version. Would have been a "reasonable" alternative since it's way cheaper but it seems it won't be as strong as the one with rotopax. On northridge they say that the rotopax can go up to 37" while the two others are up to 35". Also, on the rotopax they say that it relocate the spare 5.5 inch higher and no info about the other two.

I just noticed that the third eye isn't there anymore. Might be a problem with the law here. Gotta check it out, else I will have to figure something out.

My 35" tire sits so high in the back window I don't even look out of it anymore. And as for the third brake light, I just removed it. It's not a requirement here in TX.

Sent by Pony Express

JAGS

Hooked

If you go to orfabs site, they give more/different info than Northridge. Might want to check from the source.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Those Delta lights are great! I ran them for a while when I had my LOD bumper and carrier. :thumb:

this is great news! makes the decision to purchase them even easier then. was the install of the light easy? (if you remember) im not eletrical savy so i dont want to splice to many wires.

Conman

I run the OR-fab rotopax and love it. It has absolutely no rattles at all. Instal is kind a pain in the ass but it is solid.

Tranquillity

Just asked OR Fab, there's no difference at all either all three version beside departure angle but nothing else. All three are equally strong so it's up to the buyer's taste. I think I will go with the rotopax, just need to pile up some cash. Evo slider are first on my list. :rock:

JAGS

Hooked
Just asked OR Fab, there's no difference at all either all three version beside departure angle but nothing else. All three are equally strong so it's up to the buyer's taste. I think I will go with the rotopax, just need to pile up some cash. Evo slider are first on my list. :rock:

Yup. That's what I was referring to in my post about the info on orfab's site. They are the same construction/capabilities and just a personal preference. What I wish was that they had measurements on the extension from the tailgate for rotopax and basic carrier. Obviously there is a cost difference, but if the rotopax only sticks out "x" more, might help sway me one way or another.

You didn't happen to get this from the guy you spoke with did you?

Tranquillity

Yup. That's what I was referring to in my post about the info on orfab's site. They are the same construction/capabilities and just a personal preference. What I wish was that they had measurements on the extension from the tailgate for rotopax and basic carrier. Obviously there is a cost difference, but if the rotopax only sticks out "x" more, might help sway me one way or another.

You didn't happen to get this from the guy you spoke with did you?

I didn't get the numbers but here's what he told me ;

"Departure angle is affected but not by much. If you think you will never use the cans go can-less. If you want cans even someday go Rotopax."

So I guess departure angle on the rotopax is nothing to be worried about !

Top Bottom