What's after JK??

RedRockIt

Haven't done much research on the matter. I know a many of us are dying to one day see a Jeep truck again. Any thoughts on what the next model wrangler would look like or be capable of? I believe I read that the timeframe would be around 2014 or 2015.

Better pay off my JK by then:D

ichthus

I've got a buddy who's dad works w/Chrysler engineering and says they've done some testing with the new 8-speed autos. While they could have made them work for 2012, production capacity wasn't there... A few think the 8 speeds could fin their way into JK's for 2013 or 14, I just don't see Chrysler running the 5-speed for a single year, or swapping trannies a year before full vehicle redesign.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't done much research on the matter. I know a many of us are dying to one day see a Jeep truck again. Any thoughts on what the next model wrangler would look like or be capable of? I believe I read that the timeframe would be around 2014 or 2015.

Better pay off my JK by then:D

the wrangler model has always been a 10 year vehicle which means, we most likely will not see a new version of it until 2017. like you, i would love to see a truck but, i'm getting tired of holding my breath and if it happens, great and if not, i'll remain happy with my 4-doors.

I've got a buddy who's dad works w/Chrysler engineering and says they've done some testing with the new 8-speed autos. While they could have made them work for 2012, production capacity wasn't there... A few think the 8 speeds could fin their way into JK's for 2013 or 14, I just don't see Chrysler running the 5-speed for a single year, or swapping trannies a year before full vehicle redesign.

from what i understand, the new 8 speed auto is slated to be relased on the new liberty which will be built around the new dodge dart and be even less of an off road vehicle than it is today.

ichthus

They're using the 8 speed in everything. It's in the new Ram, will be in the Grand Cherokee, it's in the 300, Charger... Just about anything with a Pentastar (which means just about everything Chrysler sells).

As far as a 10-year cycle? TJ was 97-06, YJ was 88-95, the CJ's lasted for decades. I think Jeep redesigns it's vehicles on an as-needed or as-time-&-resources-permits basis. Marchionne has hinted @ 2014-2016 in different interviews, without any pattern that I've been able to detect. The only constant I've been able to find is that new model years hit showrooms in September.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They're using the 8 speed in everything. It's in the new Ram, will be in the Grand Cherokee, it's in the 300, Charger... Just about anything with a Pentastar (which means just about everything Chrysler sells).

As far as a 10-year cycle? TJ was 97-06, YJ was 88-95, the CJ's lasted for decades. I think Jeep redesigns it's vehicles on an as-needed or as-time-&-resources-permits basis. Marchionne has hinted @ 2014-2016 in different interviews, without any pattern that I've been able to detect. The only constant I've been able to find is that new model years hit showrooms in September.

fair enough, "about 10 years" is what i should have said. the TJ was scheduled to come out in 96 but had all kinds of problems with bugs as i recall and so the YJ was sold throughout 95 as a "95-half". the last year for the CJ was 86 and, it wasn't a wrangler. but, if you look at it that way, the XJ was also sold for a very long time - 84-01 and so, i suppose it's entirely possible that the JK could go longer too. marchionne has hinted at a lot of things including a new jeep truck and i guess for me, i'll believe it when i hear it from the people i know inside.

arockylypse

from what i understand, the new 8 speed auto is slated to be relased on the new liberty which will be built around the new dodge dart and be even less of an off road vehicle than it is today.

Just read an article saying the same thing. It's pretty sad. I wish they would just put the Dodge name on something like that.

As far as the JK goes I'm not sure it needs any major changes especially when the design lends itself to so many options, like the pickup for instance.

The one thing i would change is lockers and 44's all round for every model. Then give the Rubi the mopar long arm lift, 35's, bumpers to justify the model. Make it a true Rubicon model.

Prime8

arockylypse said:
Just read an article saying the same thing. It's pretty sad. I wish they would just put the Dodge name on something like that.

As far as the JK goes I'm not sure it needs any major changes especially when the design lends itself to so many options, like the pickup for instance.

The one thing i would change is lockers and 44's all round for every model. Then give the Rubi the mopar long arm lift, 35's, bumpers to justify the model. Make it a true Rubicon model.

That would be cool, but don't think it would sell too well. Anyone wanting to customize their jeep with bumpers and a lift seem to be pretty picky and particular on just which one they want. That's why, when looking at the 2012 Rubi vs CoD, I decided on rubi (actually holding off till the '13 comes out). I can't justify paying that much for AEV components that I would be replacing with better components anyways. The market for trail rigs is fairly small, and most of us want to customize. Which is why the rubi is so great. They give you some mechanical upgrades and everything else is up to you.

ichthus

Yeah, I think they'd have a better chance of selling a stripped down model. Give it the offroad goodies of the Rubicon, but standard 1/2 doors or soft doors, no carpet, replace the stereo with a built in CB & an audio jack for your iPod, cheap 15x9 alloy wheels w/32" mud tires... Offer it in 3 colors each year to keep costs down (black, silver/white, & whatever bright yellow/orange/green/blue is offered that year)

arockylypse

Don't forget it's a lot easier for people to buy the modded Rubi from the dealer on their loan than it is to buy parts later. I really think a lot of people would go for it.

ichthus

It's lazier and more expensive, especially in the long run, but yeah, a good number of people aren't patient enough to practice fiscal responsibility

StrizzyChris

Don't forget it's a lot easier for people to buy the modded Rubi from the dealer on their loan than it is to buy parts later. I really think a lot of people would go for it.

Not really. Just like the COD version there are SOME people who would buy it, but if your on a budget you get a base sport or x...if you have the money to spurge you get a Rubi and if you really have the money to splurge you will customize it just how you like it! They already have the market pretty locked in.

socalrubi

The Rubicon should at least come with a 4" long arm lift and minimum 33" Goodyear Wranglers, and of course the D44 front and rear w/lockers...no fender flares or body change keep it simple and let the owner do what they want with the bumpers and etc...

Prime8

socalrubi said:
The Rubicon should at least come with a 4" long arm lift and minimum 33" Goodyear Wranglers, and of course the D44 front and rear w/lockers...no fender flares or body change keep it simple and let the owner do what they want with the bumpers and etc...

I will be trading in my current JKU and buying a 2013 Rubi in October and there's no way in hell I'd want to pay extra for a 4" mopar long arm kit on a $38k+ vehicle. I would immediately remove it for the Double D. If your making the investment for the Rubi, why put crap (AEV) components on it? That would be like putting flame decals and a big goofy spoiler on a new ZO6... Would I like an ARB airlocker upgrade option over the stock e locker? Yes. Or a beefier D60 option? Yes. Bit those are only minor suggestions... I think they narrowed down the components (lockers, front D44, 4.10 gears, T-case, upgraded suspension) to the minimal amount that MOST people looking at a rubicon will want. Obviously a small amount of us would want a PR44 option, or a D60 option, but we are such a minority that it wouldn't be fiscally feasible, so I understand why they don't. A larger tire option might be nice, but most of us would pick a different tire than the KM2 anyway.

ichthus

Yeah, see, I wouldn't buy a Rubi if it came 4 inches taller than a standard JK. Reach for the stars if you want, but I'd rather stay nice and low.

The Rubicon can handle the Rubicon, straight off the showroom floor...that's it's purpose.

nacho

with the power in the pentastar and possible v8s. I think the rubicon should get 60s out of the box and base wranglers should get the 44s all the way around. Other than that, I dont really see a need to change much, the factory pickup would be nice but wonder what the true market for it would be. Just do the jk8 at factory as an option.

RedRockIt

Very interesting comments on the rubicon. Although we would all like to see some more aggressive upgrades, I don't think it would happen. For one, look at all of the stock JKs out on the street. For a lot of people, rubicon is most most aggressive they would wanna get. Also as it has already been said, anything more than it already comes with, I would rather choose my own equipment.

Any further knowledge on the future of the wrangler in general? Year??

arockylypse

I think my point has been distorted.

I\'m saying a Jeep Wrangler should be stable, survivable, and completely capable out of the box.

The D30 axles are stupid and all Wranglers should be \"pure\" offroaders out of the box. The only way to complete this is 44\'s and lockers all round. Nothing else is required including lift and larger tires. This would mean the purchaser wouldn\'t have to worry about occasional offroad trips destroying an axle or climbs over small rocks getting them stuck while one wheel spins and the opposite wheel does nothing.

What happens to the Rubi after that I really don\'t care but it would need some type of major upgrades to make it worth the name and extra $$.

Prime8

arockylypse said:
I think my point has been distorted.

I\'m saying a Jeep Wrangler should be stable, survivable, and completely capable out of the box.

The D30 axles are stupid and all Wranglers should be \"pure\" offroaders out of the box. The only way to complete this is 44\'s and lockers all round. Nothing else is required including lift and larger tires. This would mean the purchaser wouldn\'t have to worry about occasional offroad trips destroying an axle or climbs over small rocks getting them stuck while one wheel spins and the opposite wheel does nothing.

What happens to the Rubi after that I really don\'t care but it would need some type of major upgrades to make it worth the name and extra $$.

Most soccer moms and mall crawlers don't want to pay for things they'll never use. Especially expensive things like beefier axles and lockers. The majority of wranglers stay stock or are budget boosted just for looks. That's the whole reason jeep made the rubicon package, for those who want "pure offroaders right out of the box". Nothing has been distorted, you just aren't grasping that Jeep is a company out to make money, like every other company, and most wranglers will never see anything more intense than a graded dirt road.

StrizzyChris

Most soccer moms and mall crawlers don't want to pay for things they'll never use. Especially expensive things like beefier axles and lockers. The majority of wranglers stay stock or are budget boosted just for looks. That's the whole reason jeep made the rubicon package, for those who want "pure offroaders right out of the box". Nothing has been distorted, you just aren't grasping that Jeep is a company out to make money, like every other company, and most wranglers will never see anything more intense than a graded dirt road.

My point exactly, but you stated it much better :clap2:

Prime8

nacho said:
with the power in the pentastar and possible v8s. I think the rubicon should get 60s out of the box and base wranglers should get the 44s all the way around. Other than that, I dont really see a need to change much, the factory pickup would be nice but wonder what the true market for it would be. Just do the jk8 at factory as an option.

I agree that 60's should be a factory upgrade option on the rubi. Not familiar enough with trucks, but I'd assume some of the big rams have D60's, right? So most of the work of finding a supplier is done. Just need to tweak the design a bit to fit the wrangler frame and voila! Wouldn't be hard to do, but the market would be fairly small I guess, figuring only a fraction of rubicon buyers would opt for that.

Top Bottom