Steering Assist Help

steadfast91

I am looking to put on a hydro assist but want to do it right the first time.
Looking for recommendations from others who have used and abused their set ups.

Is is best to go with the PSC full kit right around 2k? And what a about a in line cooler?

Thanks

JeepFan

Hooked
I'm running the PSC w/ram assist on my rig and I'm pretty happy with it. From what PSC told me, a cooler is not required. PSC support is very helpful and can advise you on whether or not to run a cooler. I ran a dual pass cooler for a while but noticed it caused the PS pump to whine at high RPM. Honestly, with the reservoir mounted so close to the exhaust manifold and the pump mounted to the engine, I don't think it made much difference. Now that I have it removed, the pump runs quieter and power steering assist seems to work better when crawling over rocks or around obstacle's at low RPM.

If you do any moderate to hard core wheeling and like to play on the rocks, ram assist will make a huge difference in your ability to steer. :yup:

pastorwug

I'll be running 37s very soon - BUT $2k for a power steering assist?
I had no idea!
Will the stock power steering just give up at some point because of the strain crawling with 37s?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running the PSC w/ram assist on my rig and I'm pretty happy with it. From what PSC told me, a cooler is not required. PSC support is very helpful and can advise you on whether or not to run a cooler. I ran a dual pass cooler for a while but noticed it caused the PS pump to whine at high RPM. Honestly, with the reservoir mounted so close to the exhaust manifold and the pump mounted to the engine, I don't think it made much difference. Now that I have it removed, the pump runs quieter and power steering assist seems to work better when crawling over rocks or around obstacle's at low RPM.

If you do any moderate to hard core wheeling and like to play on the rocks, ram assist will make a huge difference in your ability to steer. :yup:

Like JeepFan, we run a PSC on both our JK's and without coolers. They work fine without one.

Atch

I'll be running 37s very soon - BUT $2k for a power steering assist?
I had no idea!
Will the stock power steering just give up at some point because of the strain crawling with 37s?

After just sheering off my sector shaft (stock steering with 37's) 2k on hydro assist isn't that bad!

pastorwug

After just sheering off my sector shaft (stock steering with 37's) 2k on hydro assist isn't that bad!

I went online and looked at what offer for the JKU and there are two options under $500 - maybe that's the better choice for me.
I'm going to be dropping $9K at EVO soon so I'm getting a little numb.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Like JeepFan, we run a PSC on both our JK's and without coolers. They work fine without one.

Did you get the one on Rubicat working properly? I thought on JKX you had said it wasn't working right. :thinking:

Top Bottom