Sedona Arizona

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rather than heading straight for home after the awesome weekend of wheeling we had in Arizona last week, Cindy and I decided to make our drive back a bit more interesting and took side trip up through Sedona. I mean hey, it's not everyday that you find yourself in a state with so much to see and do and wheel and we just felt that it would be a crime to pass up the opportunity... or, at least, that's what we told ourselves. Fortunately for us, the weather was outstanding with the days being as long as they are right now, we were able to get in multiple trails including the famous Broken Arrow, short but interesting Soldier Pass and visiually stunning Schnebly Hill before ending our fun filled day in Flagstaff. Here are some pics from our trip - I hope you enjoy :cool:

Before starting our side trip back home, we made a quick stop over at the Crackers & Company Cafe in Mesa, AZ and had an amazing breakfast there - It's a bit tough to find but I highly recommend it if you're ever in the area....
main.php

As we approached our turn off to Sedona, we spotted a fire in the distant and hoped it wouldn't muck up the skies for us...
main.php

After pulling into Sedona, we stopped over at Bell and Courthouse Rock viewing area to take in the view and buy a pass (required if you plan on stopping anywhere)...
main.php

main.php

Pulling up to our first trail of the day, Broken Arrow...
main.php

If you can believe it, this "speed bump" was installed just past the trailhead sign to help prevent vehicles who do not have the proper clearance from running this trail - I think we can make it...
main.php

Around the first bend, there are a set of Moab style ledges that you can have a little fun on. It isn't much but, we still managed to find a way to flex Moby out...
main.php

Heading up the well worn path up to Submarine Rock...
main.php

Stopping over at the Submarine Rock parking area to get out and do some exploring on foot...
main.php

main.php

The view from the top of Submarine Rock was just awesome...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Our lil' Tessa posing for a quick shot before heading out...
main.php

Standing on top of Chicken Point taking in the view and taking some poser shots of Moby...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Just before you get to "The Steps", there's a fun section of slick rock that reminds me a lot of Moab. Here's Moby climbing to the top of this small dome...
main.php

main.php

Taking some poser shots from the top...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Here's a shot of Moby coming down the overly hyped up "Steps". I'm sure it was fun at one point and time but at least on this day, it looked and felt like it had carefully placed pavers installed all the way down...
main.php

On the way out, we made a quick stop over at the Devils Dining Room sinkhole...
main.php

main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Our next stop was over at the very short but interesting Soldiers Pass Road...
main.php

While this trail is rated "difficult", I can assure you that it's anything but. Here's a shot of Moby taking on the only climb on the whole trail and it's more of a concrete ramp than anything...
main.php

main.php

Stopping over at the Devil's Kitchen which is really cool. From a distance, it almost looks architecural in shape...
main.php

Our next stop was over at the Seven Apache Pools...
main.php

main.php

Rather than taking the highway out, we decided to leave Sedona via Schnebly Hill Road which is touted as being one of the most photogenic 12 miles you can off road in the area. Here's a few shots of Moby on our way out...
main.php

main.php

At the top of the pass looking back down at Sedona...
main.php

Sitting at over 6,500 feet above sea level, the cactus give way to pine trees and much cooler temperatures...
main.php

Enjoying the cool mountain scenery up by the old Foxboro Dam...
main.php

main.php

Finally, finishing up our fun filled day with one of Flagstaff's finests ales - a Lumberyard Red over at the Beaver Street Brewing Company...
main.php

I hope you've enjoyed following our adventures through Sedona, Arizona. If you'd like to see all the pics we took along the way, simply click on the link below:

Sedona Arizona Photo Gallery

:cool:

htweelz

Great pictures. We were out there two years ago and we all want to go back so badly. Sedona and the surrounding areas are so beautiful.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Dang! We missed you guys by a couple days there. We also ran those three trails, including Broken Arrow again at night under the full moon! That was much more fun than during the day. You are right, the steps are all hype even at night!

If you can believe it, at Chicken point you see that white line about halfway up the mountain above Moby? They actually mountain bike that white line. A guy did it when we were there and there are a few youtube videos showing that craziness!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great pictures. We were out there two years ago and we all want to go back so badly. Sedona and the surrounding areas are so beautiful.

well, right about now is getting to be a bit on the warm side but otherwise, yeah, it's real nice out there. i could do without all the stupid pink jeeps though - there are so many of them out there that they kind of ruin the feel of where you are - kinda make it feel like disneyland or something. :rolleyes2:

Dang! We missed you guys by a couple days there. We also ran those three trails, including Broken Arrow again at night under the full moon! That was much more fun than during the day. You are right, the steps are all hype even at night!

If you can believe it, at Chicken point you see that white line about halfway up the mountain above Moby? They actually mountain bike that white line. A guy did it when we were there and there are a few youtube videos showing that craziness!

no kidding, bummer we missed you. also, that's crazy that people mountain bike that line :shock:

DManuel

Beautiful photos! On our list for a future trip. So many places to go, so little time to get there. Stupid job!

Drumr90

Wish i could make these trips even though id have to ride with someone but only get 2 weeks vacation.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The pink jeep tours really are a burden. The owner of one of the tour companies out there, pretty sure it's the pink tours, is always petitioning to get the Sedona trails closed to everyone except the local tour companies. Their reasoning is strictly for profitability reasons, but they claim everyone is tearing the trails up. 200 of those pink jeeps and other tour jeeps out there everyday surely doesn't help, and is surely wearing down trails that used to be a challenge, but the trails are certainly not getting "torn up".

Serg5000

Someday ima grow up and be just like you. Lol.

On a more serious note. Eddie, Cindy. I want to thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Some people may never get the chance to see such beautiful places in person. This is the second best way to see them.
And for folks that may be able to, it gives us an idea of what this wonderful country has to offer if we just explore.
I will say, that because of the videos you guys post, I have wanted to do the Rubicon. That dream will become a reality this June. Then I hope to go after my next dream trail. The Dusy Ershim.
Thanks again Eddie & Cindy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful photos! On our list for a future trip. So many places to go, so little time to get there. Stupid job!

there really are so many placed to go. we try to see them all and find it's next to impossible in spite of all our efforts. i guess that's what makes living out in the west so awesome :cool:

Wish i could make these trips even though id have to ride with someone but only get 2 weeks vacation.

well, if you can find a way to do it, i would highly recommend that you do. :yup:

The pink jeep tours really are a burden. The owner of one of the tour companies out there, pretty sure it's the pink tours, is always petitioning to get the Sedona trails closed to everyone except the local tour companies. Their reasoning is strictly for profitability reasons, but they claim everyone is tearing the trails up. 200 of those pink jeeps and other tour jeeps out there everyday surely doesn't help, and is surely wearing down trails that used to be a challenge, but the trails are certainly not getting "torn up".

the pink jeeps can stick it where the sun don't shine. when we were there, they had groups of 3 jeeps coming up every 15 min. at times, it felt like rush hour traffic and it really tainted the experience for me. we literally had to wait almost an hour at chicken rock to find an opening in the crowds before we could take a pic free of any pink jeeps or people. as far as tearing things up go, i don't know how that's possible when every rutt has been essentially paved over. it's a beautiful place but i'll be honest, the commercial aspect of sedona is annoying enough to almost keep me away from it.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
the pink jeeps can stick it where the sun don't shine. when we were there, they had groups of 3 jeeps coming up every 15 min. at times, it felt like rush hour traffic and it really tainted the experience for me. we literally had to wait almost an hour at chicken rock to find an opening in the crowds before we could take a pic free of any pink jeeps or people. as far as tearing things up go, i don't know how that's possible when every rutt has been essentially paved over. it's a beautiful place but i'll be honest, the commercial aspect of sedona is annoying enough to almost keep me away from it.

My thoughts exactly. Falls under the been there done that section of my AZ trail guide book, and have no desire to really go back because of how packed the trails are with commercial tourism. It was fun once for the scenery.

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
there really are so many placed to go. we try to see them all and find it's next to impossible in spite of all our efforts. i guess that's what makes living out in the west so awesome :cool:

well, if you can find a way to do it, i would highly recommend that you do. :yup:

highoctane said:
My thoughts exactly. Falls under the been there done that section of my AZ trail guide book, and have no desire to really go back because of how packed the trails are with commercial tourism. It was fun once for the scenery.

Now you guys are just bringing me down. :cheesy:

4x4Brit

Awesome photography and scenery there. Whilst the commercial aspect of it doesn't sound much like fun, definitely seems like trails you have to do at least once just to appreciate the pure beauty of the landscape. Being so close, I don't have much of an excuse not too :yup:

WOH111

Great pic of Tessa on the rocks, just what all jeepers needed is a good dog, that enjoys the trail as much as everyone else.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I agree that you really only need to run the Sedona trails once for the beauty! Doesn't even compare with Moab for both trails and scenery. Everyone needs to visit it one time though to see what it is all about.
:beer::beer:

htweelz

While I understand the hatred for the commercial tours...that is the only way we got to hit the trails when we were there. We were there pre-Jeep and we flew out there. I'm sure our Altima wasn't going to make it far and we looked at renting them and it was really expensive for a day. We were the only ones out on the trails and never saw another pink, or red tour Jeep the entire day...or any personal Jeeps for that matter.

That tour also convinced me that I really wanted a Jeep and convinced my wife that it would be cool to have one. So while I can see everyone's side it enabled me to become part of the Jeep community. And for that I thank them. But now I'd rather drive my own out there and hit the trails myself.:brows:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now you guys are just bringing me down. :cheesy:

:cheesy: sorry about that, just giving it to you straight.

Awesome photography and scenery there. Whilst the commercial aspect of it doesn't sound much like fun, definitely seems like trails you have to do at least once just to appreciate the pure beauty of the landscape. Being so close, I don't have much of an excuse not too :yup:

oh, i agree and there's plenty to see and do nearby that it's definitely a place i would recommend people go.

Great pic of Tessa on the rocks, just what all jeepers needed is a good dog, that enjoys the trail as much as everyone else.

oh yeah, we love our tessa and it is nice having her with us on our trip :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that you really only need to run the Sedona trails once for the beauty! Doesn't even compare with Moab for both trails and scenery. Everyone needs to visit it one time though to see what it is all about.
:beer::beer:

eh, maybe more than once. as far as beauty goes, i think i would be more impressed if every vista i stood on i saw wilderness instead of homes and buildings but, maybe that's just me.

While I understand the hatred for the commercial tours...that is the only way we got to hit the trails when we were there. We were there pre-Jeep and we flew out there. I'm sure our Altima wasn't going to make it far and we looked at renting them and it was really expensive for a day. We were the only ones out on the trails and never saw another pink, or red tour Jeep the entire day...or any personal Jeeps for that matter.

That tour also convinced me that I really wanted a Jeep and convinced my wife that it would be cool to have one. So while I can see everyone's side it enabled me to become part of the Jeep community. And for that I thank them. But now I'd rather drive my own out there and hit the trails myself.:brows:

even before going, we were well aware of the commercialness and touristy aspect of sedona and thought that visiting it on a monday would be better. unfortunately, we were wrong and that kinda disappointed us. as far as the pink jeep thing goes, i think i would be more accepting of them if they were more pleasant and friendly toward other jeepers. when you see them, you almost get the feeling that they're pissed off at you for being on their trail or something. i don't know, maybe it's just me but i got an uncomfortable vibe from them.

still, i'm glad that they helped you to get into the jeep way of life :thumb:

Top Bottom