Repairing & Re-securing Moby’s Exhaust
Being that we no longer live in California and no longer need to run catalytic converters made specifically for that state, Cindy and I decided to have them removed from Moby and had a new high performance exhaust system installed in their place. Essentially, we are now running just 2 small cats instead of 5 large ones and we also have a new low profile muffler that sits nicely above the frame rails. Overall, we’re super happy with what we now have but recently found that there was one small issue that needed to be addressed. As we recently discovered, the exhaust hanger welded onto the tailpipe wasn’t up to the job of holding everything in place especially when bombing across the desert. After hearing a knocking sound that we didn’t have before, we took a look around and discovered this.
An exhaust system can see a lot of big movement on a Jeep hitting big bumps and it was pretty clear that the thin metal on the tailpipe wasn’t strong enough to support everything especially with a hanger welded onto just a small patch of it. Fortunately, a little bailing wire was all that was needed to tie things up again and it was more than enough to get us home and knock free.
Being that the hole in the tailpipe was literally just a couple of inches away from the dump, fixing it properly by welding on a patch was really unnecessary. Certainly, an exhaust leak here wouldn’t be much of a concern, if any and so what I decided to do instead was to just wrap it up with some exhaust patch tape. As far as securing it back onto the frame goes, I decided to recycle the old hanger, clean it up a bit and then weld it onto an exhaust clamp. Doing this would allow a greater amount of the hanger to be holding things in place and of course, a clamp would be able to wrap around the entire pipe and do a much better job of distributing the load. Here’s a shot of what I did.
And there you have it, Moby’s exhaust has been repaired and re-secured.