Wifes JL build up...Suger Booger

deantac

Got some things from FedEx ....waiting on a few more things.
Yoke/flange holding tool

IMG_1800.jpg
Install kit
IMG_1801.jpg
Covers
IMG_1803.jpg
5:38 gears
IMG_1805.jpg
JE Reel shafts 1350's
IMG_1808.jpg

jdofmemi

That Gen Right bumper looks great. I'm thinking about the same one.

Are you going to change the center brake light, now that the license plate is blocking it?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my license plate, not sure I want it in the center.

deantac

Are you going to change the center brake light, now that the license plate is blocking it?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my license plate, not sure I want it in the center.

What I should of done was just get the Genright license plate light that has a brake light built in...like I have on my jeep.... way simpler ! I will probably swap it out in the near future.

I went to the DMV to get personalized plates I ordered for the wife and I could not remove the plate with out cutting the wire ! to say this has been a struggle is a under statement. I had to go to Napa and buy tools to take it off...because the kit uses a 10mm and a 5/32 hex screw. I added bullet connecters today so they will go through the holder mounting holes. :banghead:

deantac

I ordered a LOD front bumper... Destroyer stubby..... I want to run the factory LEDs as my wife works in Tehachapi and I'll probably add two more lights up front for her, fog and snow lights. she works at Home Depot right now.

She is from Florida add even though we live in the desert it's not what she is used to driving in...much less snow and ice. she made the comment the roads here have a lot of curves...back home you don't turn until you get to a intersection....LOL

deantac

You know there is just no room for the plate...It would hang down below the bumper if you tried to mount it to it. there is a mount that attaches to the body but it sticks out and will get damaged.... not much choice unless a aftermarket bumper has a provision for it and then the bumper will be thick, the Genright is small and tight... It's not really a bumper they call it a cap, it is not going to take a hard it.... I think backing up into a bolder will result in body damage... it fits tight to the body and is aluminum.... real light and lots of clearance.

deantac

Getting things ready for next week , when I do the gear swap. I found the gears have some damage to them.
Both ring gears and one pinion have damaged teeth, not sure if I’m going to install them. 942C3297-BB60-4D69-9B03-8D72E126323B.jpg
39E0100C-AF9E-46E6-BDC2-F041B665C781.jpg
9F1DCBA2-E5BB-4569-B267-7171CC2713FE.jpg

morricus

That’s weird that they came from the factory that way... what brand are those?

Indeed, I'd like to know what brand those are too so I can avoid them. Which might be difficult because I believe there are only two real manuf of these. But still, that's poor quality control.

deantac

That’s weird that they came from the factory that way... what brand are those?

Spicer gear... the packaging was not great . most gear sets come in some foam fitting clam shell, these were wrapped in wax paper in a box and the teeth ate through the paper.

I took a cleaning disk to them and smoothed out the teeth. considering the location I think it will be ok to run them. I've run worse LOL...... It's just not ok though, don't want to get on my high horse here BUT... Everything I have purchased for the JL has had some issue to deal with, like missing bolts and nuts to no instructions and not fitting right as in quality control that I have to modify to make work, here is some pics of the gears now.

IMG_1823.jpg
IMG_1824.jpg
IMG_1826.jpg
IMG_1825.jpg

deantac

Indeed, I'd like to know what brand those are too so I can avoid them. Which might be difficult because I believe there are only two real manuf of these. But still, that's poor quality control.

Here is the box they came in, I set the pinion on top of the gear to take a picture, the pinion came in a box and was wrapped in paper. That's why I think the damage was before they through them in the box as you can see the teeth ate through he paper.

IMG_1805.jpg

morricus

Here is the box they came in, I set the pinion on top of the gear to take a picture, the pinion came in a box and was wrapped in paper. That's why I think the damage was before they through them in the box as you can see the teeth ate through he paper.

That's outrageous. I don't understand why they would ship like that. Whatever, looks like you have everything under control and despite Spicers best effort, you'll have gears installed soon. Are those 5.13 or 4.88?

WJCO

Meme King
I wouldn't install those. Way too much labor and they'll likely make noise. Looks like someone dropped them after production.

deantac

Here is a couple pics to show the difference between the 220 and 210 ring gear.

Bevel is obvious in the pic, was watching a car show this morning and they talk about the new Advantek gears have more tooth contact than the older Dana 44.
IMG_1834.jpg
Size difference
IMG_1833.jpg
Pinion length
IMG_1832.jpg
Pinion head is machined back / cut more for the front, must be for housing design.
IMG_1831.jpg
Disked the mounting surface and ran a stone over it too.
IMG_1827.jpg

deantac

I wouldn't install those. Way too much labor and they'll likely make noise. Looks like someone dropped them after production.

If it wasn't on the inner most tooth I would send them back...this spot on the gear has very little contact and I feathered it back so it would not touch, so I'm going to give it a go. :fingerscrossed:

Top Bottom