PR44 and rear Trail 60 for 37" tires?

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I keep going back and forth on this. Can’t make up my mind on axles. Do one tons and 40s or buy a rear 60 or lock my rear. Made it up every obstacle I attempted except one in moab with out a rear locker.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I keep going back and forth on this. Can’t make up my mind on axles. Do one tons and 40s or buy a rear 60 or lock my rear. Made it up every obstacle I attempted except one in moab with out a rear locker.

If you're thinking of 40s, I'd stuff the money away for a FF 60. Maybe get a rear locker for while you're waiting. I'd imagine the resale value of a locked 44 would be more than one that's not locked.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
If you're thinking of 40s, I'd stuff the money away for a FF 60. Maybe get a rear locker for while you're waiting. I'd imagine the resale value of a locked 44 would be more than one that's not locked.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I agree. Thought of a 60 for a year then do full floats. Kind of like the challenge of 37s I got up a lot of things easier than a buddy with 40s. kind of like the idea of the clearance though. But diff clearance was the same as well. Just his belly sat higher. Considering a buddy’s rubi rear at the moment and throwing my gears in.

BaddestCross

I agree. Thought of a 60 for a year then do full floats. Kind of like the challenge of 37s I got up a lot of things easier than a buddy with 40s. kind of like the idea of the clearance though. But diff clearance was the same as well. Just his belly sat higher. Considering a buddy’s rubi rear at the moment and throwing my gears in.

I'm not positive, but I believe the Rubi gears are different than a sport/Sahara D44. Maybe it's just the front though.

Why would you go semi-float 60 and then buy a FF60? Why not just go to a full-float 60 right away? Or are you thinking 80?

--

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I'm not positive, but I believe the Rubi gears are different than a sport/Sahara D44. Maybe it's just the front though.

Why would you go semi-float 60 and then buy a FF60? Why not just go to a full-float 60 right away? Or are you thinking 80?

--

Trying to get a house pretty soon. So what I was planning on using for axles is going to be a down payment. And the ff would be too wide and would have to change wheels and run spacers in the front. If I bought a 60 I’d be able to make some money back when I sold. It.

Ddays

Hooked
Made it up every obstacle I attempted except one in moab with out a rear locker.

Kind of like the challenge of 37s I got up a lot of things easier than a buddy with 40s. kind of like the idea of the clearance though.

Why even consider a SF 60 if this is the case? I bought a PR60 SF and PR44 set 3 years ago (before Dynatrac had those crazy combo deals :mad:) and if I was to do it now I'd go right to the 60/60 FF set. Sounds like you aren't having any issues getting around on your current setup - I'd save up for the FF. You're still gonna lose $$ selling the SF rear and you're still stuck with the flange issue in the meantime and they do bend :grayno:

Brute

Hooked
I may have a PR44 with 35 spline rcv's and a PR60 sf rear with 35 spline cm for sale later this summer...both with arb lockers, 4.88 gears. They will be coming off my Brute...low mileage...

And five 37" Toyo MT's mounted on Trail Ready beadlocks...plenty of tread left...package price

Last edited:

mauijim

I may have a PR44 with 35 spline rcv's and a PR60 sf rear with 35 spline cm for sale later this summer...both with arb lockers, 4.88 gears. They will be coming off my Brute...low mileage...

And five 37" Toyo MT's mounted on Trail Ready beadlocks...plenty of tread left...package price

Let me know when you have them out cause I’m interested and your neighbor in Edmonds

kawimoto

Ok. So there are many threads that cover this subject here and there, but I hope that information gathered here on this thread can help people like myself whom are on a tighter than others budget.

I know I do not have the funds to ball on 40" tires, full d60's front and rear, double throwdown front and rear, etc; however I do dream of being able to run 37" tires as efficiently as a tight budget would allow. I also feel that while there are many threads on how great the PR 60 rear is, I haven't seen many threads on here about the trail 60 rear by dynatrac. That being said:

1- how reliable is a front pro rock 44 with ARB lockers for running 37" tires. And can the front PR44 only be had in the stock 5x5 bolt pattern?

2- being that I am interested in the PR44 for the front, how would a Dynatrac trail 60 rear fare on 37" tires Being that it is not full float, not high pinion, and re-uses stock brakes and calipers. This is important because the trail 60 matches the 5x5 bolt pattern of the PR44 whereas the rear PR60 does not come in 5x5 bolt pattern (but correct me if I'm wrong here). This saves me money as far as wheels are concerned.

3- aside from high pinion, bigger brakes, what else is different in a trail 60 and PR60. Is the housing thicker?

I'm hoping that people can shine some light on the trail 60 because I haven't read much about it on here and I really don't wanna go with another manufacturer. I'm convinced dynatrac makes quality axles, I just hope this combo would work for 37" tires as reliable as PR60 front and rear would for 40" tires. Thanks guys.

Waste of money to go to a trail 60 rear. still semi float. flanges will still bend even on 37s. better served to run your stock 44 with 35 spline shafts and an arb. only 60 to run is full float. otherwise wasting cash. that trail 60 is pretty, but not invincible. pr the front though. that's a great idea for 37's. Ive been on my Pr44 unl with 35 spline rcv's and arb and 35 spline rear setup for over a year and been on many trips without issue. seen guys bend flanges on the same setup though. mostly line choice, avoid pinching that rear end in tight spots if possible and youll be just fine. carry a trail spare, not to mention you can still get home on a bent flange anyhow, spares smart, not necessary

kawimoto

Waste of money to go to a trail 60 rear. still semi float. flanges will still bend even on 37s. better served to run your stock 44 with 35 spline shafts and an arb. only 60 to run is full float. otherwise wasting cash. that trail 60 is pretty, but not invincible. pr the front though. that's a great idea for 37's. Ive been on my Pr44 unl with 35 spline rcv's and arb and 35 spline rear setup for over a year and been on many trips without issue. seen guys bend flanges on the same setup though. mostly line choice, avoid pinching that rear end in tight spots if possible and youll be just fine. carry a trail spare, not to mention you can still get home on a bent flange anyhow, spares smart, not necessary

just realized this thread is old af.... not sure how it got so far up in my list. apologies gents

Top Bottom