REVERE THE STEER - Rubicat Going Wide with 72.5" Dynatrac XD60 / PRO 1550 Front Axle

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I'll have to see if I have a comparison shot to post up. The 1550/SPL70 u-joint is crazy big :crazyeyes:

Ya they are nuts!

So I do have a question. It is very apparent that the steering arms are much tighter as they actually fit inside the 17" wheel. Assuming u have the same pitman arm and it looks like the same ram length, you have got to be getting quite a bit of additional steering angle with that setup too?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Now that I look the steering arm doesn't fit inside the wheel, only the tie rod arms do, but it is still clearly shorter than the normal PRO 60 so still should be getting some extra steering angle I'd think.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Very thorough review and great pictures.

Thanks! We're working on a video about all this too :yup:

Now that I look the steering arm doesn't fit inside the wheel, only the tie rod arms do, but it is still clearly shorter than the normal PRO 60 so still should be getting some extra steering angle I'd think.

As you've seen, the steering arm sits outside of the wheel. This setup has 50° of steering travel but on a JK, it's limited a bit by the steering box.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I'm very impressed with the new axle. I really like the added strength of the overall design and how it allows everything to be tucked inside the wheel with the proper backspacing. It is now on the short end of my wish list.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

jkruiser

Awesome setup on Rubicat!! Thought I saw Rubicat at TDS...can't remember which display, Nitto or Dynatrac. That rig looks sick in person!

benatc1

Hooked
So if someone was going to buy this axle or maybe build towards it and do their rear first, would you need to custom order the rear to the match the width? Is it possible to have it built that way? I would think that would be a tough match width wise for someone if they chose to buy this first and then upgrade their rear as you'd need a lot of spacer even if you were already running a full width axle

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

Beautiful axles! I was fortunate to check out ribicat in person in the dynatrac booth at tds. Amazing how much can be stuffed inside a 17" wheel.
Eddie what's your thoughts on the 8.5" wheel for 13.5 wide tires. I'm a few weeks out from ordering new wheels for my p60 setup and I really like everything about the trail ready's except for the width their available in. I'm running 37-13.5 now on 8.5 and it seems to pinch them in a bit. I know pulling the wheel in is great for the rocks but I'm also wondering if a bit wider wheel would handle better on the street.

mastrcruse

I'm interested in your opinion about what I should do with mh fron setupt. My plan has been to run the UD60 rear with an XD60 front. I was looking at going 68.5-69" with 3.5 BS trail readys. I have the UD60 rear already and plan on getting the XD60 front in the next few months. Would you suggest I stick with the same axle width and BS wheels in the front or could I go to a wider axle/different BSing in the front? My plan is to run the DTD setup whichll come later this year.

jagrubb99

I'm interested in your opinion about what I should do with mh fron setupt. My plan has been to run the UD60 rear with an XD60 front. I was looking at going 68.5-69" with 3.5 BS trail readys. I have the UD60 rear already and plan on getting the XD60 front in the next few months. Would you suggest I stick with the same axle width and BS wheels in the front or could I go to a wider axle/different BSing in the front? My plan is to run the DTD setup whichll come later this year.
I would just get the same width front tomatch the rear axle. Running different backspaced wheels would be very inconvenient to me. Which BS would you use as a spare? Save the confusion and just go same axle width front and rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for all the details. What is one to spend for the new front setup ?

Because the axle we have was the original prototype, I really couldn't tell you what it will ultimately retail for. I would recommend that you contact Dynatrac.

Isn't supposed to be 40 spline also?

Our shafts were 35 spline but 40 spline should be available soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome setup on Rubicat!! Thought I saw Rubicat at TDS...can't remember which display, Nitto or Dynatrac. That rig looks sick in person!

LOL!! You saw her at Dynatrac's display. Don't think Nitto would have been into showing a Jeep with Coopers on :crazyeyes: :D

Beautiful axles! I was fortunate to check out ribicat in person in the dynatrac booth at tds. Amazing how much can be stuffed inside a 17" wheel.
Eddie what's your thoughts on the 8.5" wheel for 13.5 wide tires. I'm a few weeks out from ordering new wheels for my p60 setup and I really like everything about the trail ready's except for the width their available in. I'm running 37-13.5 now on 8.5 and it seems to pinch them in a bit. I know pulling the wheel in is great for the rocks but I'm also wondering if a bit wider wheel would handle better on the street.

Honestly, we're talking about 1/2" difference. A 1/4" difference on either side of your wheel if you want to look at it that way. We're running 37x13.50's on our 8.5" wheel and they handle just fine. Dynatrac is running 39x13.50 on their 8.5" wheels and it too handles great.

So if someone was going to buy this axle or maybe build towards it and do their rear first, would you need to custom order the rear to the match the width? Is it possible to have it built that way? I would think that would be a tough match width wise for someone if they chose to buy this first and then upgrade their rear as you'd need a lot of spacer even if you were already running a full width axle

Personally, I would not go this route unless you were ready to do both front and rear axles at the same time. And really, there's no need to run 72.5" unless you're running an EVO DTD and with wheels that have 5.5" of back spacing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Being that you already have a UD60 and will be running wheels with 3.5" of back spacing, I would just order up your XD60 in the same width. You shouldn't have any problems.

benatc1

Hooked
LOL!! You saw her at Dynatrac's display. Don't think Nitto would have been into showing a Jeep with Coopers on :crazyeyes: :D

Honestly, we're talking about 1/2" difference. A 1/4" difference on either side of your wheel if you want to look at it that way. We're running 37x13.50's on our 8.5" wheel and they handle just fine. Dynatrac is running 39x13.50 on their 8.5" wheels and it too handles great.

Personally, I would not go this route unless you were ready to do both front and rear axles at the same time. And really, there's no need to run 72.5" unless you're running an EVO DTD and with wheels that have 5.5" of back spacing.

Not that I'm anywhere close to any of this at the moment but was just thinking long term build plans or of a handful of people out there who are looking to fine tune some stuff. sounds like it's best to save the money up and hit it all in one shot if this is where you want your build to be. I'm sure we'll see it in action but seems like a great set up!

jeeeep

Hooked
I spent today trying to isolate a rolling squeak, turns out it's not a rear bent flange but I think the G2 axle shaft bearings are shot and immediately thought woohoo! trail 60...then reality set in and I told myself I would upgrade only when the axle fails.

Feeling good about my decision I get online and this!!! Eddie!! you have a way of just making the "oh hell I need to upgrade" demons raise their ugly heads :cheesy:

It looks awesome and the fact that you can run the wheel almost centered has got to be a bonus on getting more life out of a set of tires :thumb:

Top Bottom