3.5” back spacing for 35x12.5 too little?

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I’m currently running Cooper STTs with 4” bs (5.2 + 1.25” spacers)

Will 3.5” bs on 35s be too little ? Stick out too far ? Any concerns about stress on components?

Please post up photos if you have them . Want examples of 35s and 37s (12.5 width) . I’m eventually going to 37s and want to buy wheels once but want them to work for my 35s without looking goofy

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

When I went to beadlocks I at first was running the 35" Coopers. I got Trail Ready beadlocks , 3 1/2" backspace and everything worked fine. I'm now running Nitto 37's on the same TR beadlocks.. I'm very happy with the way they are performing.

JJ151

I’m currently running AEV Pintler wheels with 37’s. These wheels have 5.2” backspace and I have very little rubbing on the frame at full turn with stock JKUR axles. I would think that any wheel or wheel/spacer combination of 5” backspace or less will not rub at all and believe that the less stress on steering components the better.

jesse3638

Hooked
I’m currently running AEV Pintler wheels with 37’s. These wheels have 5.2” backspace and I have very little rubbing on the frame at full turn with stock JKUR axles. I would think that any wheel or wheel/spacer combination of 5” backspace or less will not rub at all and believe that the less stress on steering components the better.

Is this while flexed out or just daily driving?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug

Sounds contrary to most advice I’ve heard and read .

wjtstudios

Hooked
Sounds contrary to most advice I’ve heard and read .

Yeah, I completely disagree with about everything he said. I ran 35x12.5 BFG KM2s for years on pintlers and they do rub the frame at full flex and full lock. And adding any kind of spacer or minimal BS wheel will increase stress and wear to your unit bearings and ball joints.

The ideal is a plus or minus 5” BS wheels and 68.5” or 72” axles. Not only does it relatively center the turning force over the knuckle, but it also protects the break caliper instead of letting it hang out exposed.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

I’m not going to call BS on this but all I can say is I run 3.5 on my 37’s and still rub a little. 🤷🏻*♂️

jkbarnett

Here’s a thought. I have Methods with 4.75” BS running 35’s. I already have some 1.5” spacers. I guess if I wanted to jump to 37’s I could put the spacers on when needed. Extra work but just an idea.

BaddestCross

JJ151

I notice you still have full fenders, so the rubbing must have been solved with more bump stop and adjusted steering stops.

That is certainly possible. It’s a bolt on 4.5” AEV lift and since I didn’t do the install I’m not certain what specific bump stop length is being used or what adjustments to the steering stops would have been made either.

jesse3638

Hooked
That is certainly possible. It’s a bolt on 4.5” AEV lift and since I didn’t do the install I’m not certain what specific bump stop length is being used or what adjustments to the steering stops would have been made either.

Also doesn't look to be disco'd. I'm running 35x12.5 17 with 4" of back space on a 3" lift with 3" bump stops and would get rubbing on the fenders and front bumper before I cut them. I also get rubbing on my front lca's but I'm also on a long arm lift so that may contribute to that

Old pics
IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom