Winter driving- Ice and speed don't mix

David1tontj

But I have 4 wheel drive!!!

But seriously- that is scary.. I hope people were okay.. Do you know where that was?

Probably the part that turns my stomach the most is that even though you couldn't see the vehicles you could still HEAR them crashing one after another.

David1tontj

Wish I knew. I thought it was the big one they had in Missouri over the weekend but I just compared pics and it's not the same. [CH]

You know- I don't think I'm invincible in The snow, but I do air down my tires super low when around town, and it really does help me stop better. Still just scary how reckless people can be.

You know- I don't think I'm invincible in The snow, but I do air down my tires super low when around town, and it really does help me stop better. Still just scary how reckless people can be.

And the thing is people think snow and ice is the same from one region to another. It truly isn't.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
But I have 4 wheel drive!!!

But seriously- that is scary.. I hope people were okay.. Do you know where that was?

Funny story...

13 years ago while I was in college, I had a 2WD F250. It had a 6" lift running 35" tires, no locker. That thing took me everywhere I wanted to go, yet, all of my wheeling buddies always gave me a hard time for having only 2WD. One of those hecklers bought himself a brand new Toyota Tacoma TRD. It had every bell and whistle including, wait for it, 4WD. Within the first week of ownership, a group of us decided on taking a trip up the mountains during a snow storm (not one of our smarter ideas!) and I rode with him. Anyways, we finished up our trip and had just got back on pavement. However, the pavement had about a 1/2" of snow on it and was slick as hell. Well, my buddy looks at me and says, "this is why you need four wheel drive!" Simultaneously as he says this, he steps on the gas. Well, the back end slid right out from under him, we turned 90° to the road and crashed into the mountain wall followed by rolling 1-1/2 times.

His truck was less than one week old and had less than 600mi on the odometer.

Like said many times above, just slow down!

Love that truck driver at the very end of the clip who wasn't driving HUA just slowly rolls up and stops.

It pays to look past your hood ornament and slowing down.

That's just heart wrenching - were you near there Lee?

No, my Mrs looked it up and this happened back in January near Battle Creek, MI.
According to the articles we found, the video only showed the last half of the pileup. There was only one loss of life, I'm surprised there wasn't more.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Way too fast. People up north say Southerners can't drive in winter weather. Looks like they can't, either.

KingCopperhead

Had a 40 car pile up on 81 near syracuse a few weeks ago. I don't even take the highways if I can avoid them when the snow is blowing. I'll take the snowy state roads with lower speeds and better visibility.

Pretty Damn scary situation in that video.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
We've had some snow and ice around us the past couple of weekends (calling for more tomorrow and then be 60s the next day :doh:) but I try to find a road less traveled and play on it if you will. Helps to remember what to do when your sliding and stuff. Not saying I cant or dont mess up because Ive messed up before and crashed, luckily nobody was injured and the vehicle didnt suffer too much. Usually when I had crashed I had either got too cocky, built up too much speed, or both. LOL. I really enjoy playing on the stuff, most people think I'm crazy. I have even taken several people out and found a road or a big open parking lot that was iced over. Put the vehicle in an out of control situation and showed them how to bring it back. Then make them do it. Its fun and educational! I think that it has helped me out though in numerous occasions by avoiding wrecks. Anything can happen though! I do realize that.

I also have a tendency to avoid highways unless we get some major snow. I will run back roads and go where ever I need to. It avoids all of the wrecks that way. The only problem is if its too bad then somebody equipped like me or better is gonna have to come and rescue me.

Ever since my mom and stepdad got married we have had cattle, so the snow only means the day just got longer and colder cause the cows still got to eat. We just learned how to drive in the snow and ice at an early age I guess because we had to. I cant hardly stand setting around the house now when we get snow. So I go help my stepdad feed, go check on my grandma, check on the future ex-wifes grandma, then try and go play.

Love my jeep!

Wardell

No, my Mrs looked it up and this happened back in January near Battle Creek, MI.
According to the articles we found, the video only showed the last half of the pileup. There was only one loss of life, I'm surprised there wasn't more.

I was about to mention it was this accident. I remember seeing this video about a week after it happened. They are extremely lucky there was only one person killed. There was also a truck full of fireworks that cooked off.

The icy road and the speed of the cars were only two factors, but another big one was a sudden loss of visibility coming into that stretch of highway that day. Apparently visibility was fine until that area, when it got so bad that you couldn't see the pile up forming until it was already too late to stop. IIRC that particular spot is bad for accidents in the winter, though I doubt there was ever anything as bad as this. One more reason to slow down.

Top Bottom