Project "Thanos" Build

Ddays

Hooked
So much badass - really great looking rig. :thumb:

Your suspension setup is intriguing: Coilovers in the front only. I've contemplated doing the same thing honestly. When you installed the coilovers in the front, how much of a difference did you notice over the standard coils?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Your suspension setup is intriguing: Coilovers in the front only. I've contemplated doing the same thing honestly. When you installed the coilovers in the front, how much of a difference did you notice over the standard coils?

Can't speak for the OP but in the last 10+ years, I've personally known a host of guys who've tried to do this. NONE kept it that way more than a couple of trips with us at most. You might be able to get away with it if all you ever do is rock crawl but if you use your coilovers like they're intended to be used - to go fast and hard across the desert, you'll get your ass handed to you.

Ddays

Hooked
Can't speak for the OP but in the last 10+ years, I've personally known a host of guys who've tried to do this. NONE kept it that way more than a couple of trips with us at most. You might be able to get away with it if all you ever do is rock crawl but if you use your coilovers like they're intended to be used - to go fast and hard across the desert, you'll get your ass handed to you.

So in other words, when I make it out there someday, I better have them on the front AND back or I'll be THAT guy waaaaay behind everyone else? :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So in other words, when I make it out there someday, I better have them on the front AND back or I'll be THAT guy waaaaay behind everyone else? :crazyeyes:

LOL!! The whole point for running coilovers or at least, for Cindy and I, it's so that we can get from point A to point B faster and so that we can spend more quality time at each point. While we enjoy purposefully bombing across the desert, that isn't our main objective in setting up our suspension. Typically, people will drive as fast as they feel comfortable and when your ride is nice, you won't even know you're cruising along as fast as you're really going. This is a big part of why we always get a good laugh at "overland" builds being that most ride like shit. Drivers of these rigs will say lame ass things like, "it's about the journey and not the destination" but I've driven in a whole host of rigs like this and I can assure you that sucky suspension will force you to drive a LOT slower.

jesse3638

Hooked
While not coil overs running King 2.5's made a world of difference over the old bilstein 5100's. On the NY run the dust was the only think affecting my comfort level..haha. Oh and the damn ESC.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While not coil overs running King 2.5's made a world of difference over the old bilstein 5100's. On the NY run the dust was the only think affecting my comfort level..haha. Oh and the damn ESC.

LOL - that damn dust was brutal. If only our big run was the day after the rain we got. :crazyeyes:

Ddays

Hooked
LOL!! The whole point for running coilovers or at least, for Cindy and I, it's so that we can get from point A to point B faster and so that we can spend more quality time at each point. While we enjoy purposefully bombing across the desert, that isn't our main objective in setting up our suspension. Typically, people will drive as fast as they feel comfortable and when your ride is nice, you won't even know you're cruising along as fast as you're really going. This is a big part of why we always get a good laugh at "overland" builds being that most ride like shit. Drivers of these rigs will say lame ass things like, "it's about the journey and not the destination" but I've driven in a whole host of rigs like this and I can assure you that sucky suspension will force you to drive a LOT slower.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

See, every so often that goddam coilover itch comes back and it's really really persistent. I try to talk myself out of them but part of me still insists I need the damn things. :crazyeyes:

Ddays

Hooked
It's for bombing through the parking lot where the Steelers play, which is now a desert...

Ha! Very true. Ironically I have to go there again today.
You guys looking for another problem receiver to take off of our hands? :brows:

hf.jpg

Give Moab another try.

MOAB March 30-April 6 2019
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=55165]

Believe me, that run was on my radar! Got a weddin to pay for this year tho so that put a damper on my travel plans

TheGrendel

there's just not a lot of offroad go fast here in Texas.

iRonin

that shaved 14 bolt. sick. :clap2:

Thanks buddy :)

In my personal case there are several factors, mostly related to the history of the build and the fact that I didn't have the $ up front to jump to end state right away. The suspension began life with 4" plush ride springs and 11" bilsteins on all 4 corners when I did the Double-D long arm.

The front was upgraded to C/Os piece-meal because I knew I would eventually be doing double-triangulation to the rear in some form-or-fashion but didn't know which setup I would go with and thus what coilover length to run with ahead of time. The rear is literally the next phase in the build (See Phase 6 in the first post) which is where they will be introduced. The 14" Fox 2.0s and 6" Synergy spring "upgrades" were a cheap "at cost" deal I have with one of the mechanics here that will be buying the setup off me when we do the rear. The 11" travel on the bilsteins was just a painfully obvious limitation coming down off severe off-camber ledges that I wanted to address sooner and the opportunity presented itself while we were doing the 'tons.

For rock crawling, this setup works fine. What Eddie is selling somewhat short (no disrespect) is that for "mild bombing" through your typical Texas wheeling trails and park roads (speeds of about 30-35mph max) from experience this setup does make going over that terrain 100x a lot more comfortable than the typical covered-wagon feel I had before on the same trails with the old setup. I almost wanted to give-a-little and say I don't typically ride with rear passengers so their experience may be different but the truth is, just a couple weekends ago on the Polar Bear run I actually did have a rear passenger who rode with me into camp while we were hauling ass through the roads later in the day. Prior, he had been riding in another buddy's JKU with a long arm/spring/shock suspension commented that the difference was "like riding in a Cadillac" in mine.

Obviously that's hyperbole on his part, and I'm 100% sure at much higher speeds the rear will begin to want to "buck" being unpaired with the front, but it's not a complete throw-away setup for going quicker than you could before. In fact, manufacturers even sell suspension kits with this setup (look up the Rock Krawler 3.5" Stage 2 Off-Road Pro Coil Over Long Arm System).

So if you're like me and can only afford to do the front first, it's not a bad option and you will notice a difference. Unless you live in AZ/CA and need to be doing 80 to keep up through the desert. :cheesy:

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
Thanks buddy :)

In my personal case there are several factors, mostly related to the history of the build and the fact that I didn't have the $ up front jump into end state right away. The suspension began life with 4" plush ride springs and 11" bilsteins on all 4 corners when I did the Double-D long arm.

The front was upgraded to C/Os piece-meal because I knew I would eventually be doing double-triangulation to the rear in some form-or-fashion but didn't know which setup I would go with and thus what coilover length to run with ahead of time. The rear is literally the next phase in the build (See Phase 6 in the first post) which is where they will be introduced. The 14" Fox 2.0s and 6" Synergy spring "upgrades" were a cheap "at cost" deal I have with one of the mechanics here that will be buying the setup off me when we do the rear. The 11" travel on the bilsteins was just a painfully obvious limitation coming down off severe off-camber ledges that I wanted to address sooner and the opportunity presented itself while we were doing the 'tons.

For rock crawling, this setup works fine. What Eddie is selling somewhat short (no disrespect) is that for "mild bombing" through your typical Texas wheeling trails and park roads (speeds of about 30-35mph max) from experience this setup does make going over that terrain 100x a lot more comfortable than the typical covered-wagon feel I had before on the same trails with the old setup. I almost wanted to give-a-little and say I don't typically ride with rear passengers so their experience may be different but the truth is, just a couple weekends ago on the Polar Bear run I actually did have a rear passenger who rode with me into camp while we were hauling ass through the roads later in the day. Prior, he had been riding in another buddy's JKU with a long arm/spring/shock suspension commented that the difference was "like riding in a Cadillac" in mine.

Obviously that's hyperbole on his part, and I'm 100% sure at much higher speeds the rear will begin to want to "buck" being unpaired with the front, but it's not a complete throw-away setup for going quicker than you could before. In fact, manufacturers even sell suspension kits with this setup (look up the Rock Krawler 3.5" Stage 2 Off-Road Pro Coil Over Long Arm System).

So if you're like me and can only afford to do the front first, it's not a bad option and you will notice a difference. Unless you live in AZ/CA and need to be doing 80 to keep up through the desert. :cheesy:

Cindy only drives at 70....

iRonin

Moab / EJS 2019

Back from EJS and the Jeep performed quite well! No major issues or damage considering I was able to wheel some of the gnarly bits of places like Area BFE. Super stoked finally being in Moab with my own vehicle to wheel and it did not disappoint!

DSC_7377.jpg
DSC_7196.jpg
Photo Apr 17, 4 34 33 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 15, 8 36 19 PM (2).jpg
Photo Apr 15, 10 15 24 AM.jpg

Top Bottom