CJ 7s Back to Glory

GraniteCrystal

Depends on intended usage i guess. I pulled the 3 speed out of mine and am using a th400/dana 20 from a j truck. Ive built mine for 95% trail use and prefer the auto on the trail. If i were running say. 50/50 street and trail id try to find a t176 or t177 4 speed because of the decent first gear and i prefer the manual out on the road. For mainly road use id probably swap in an ax15 to take advantage of the overdrive. A t5 was offered as a factory transmission, and has overdrive but can be on the weak side

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Intended usage is entirely street. Just a little Jeep to bum around town in. Suggestions?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Intended usage is entirely street. Just a little Jeep to bum around town in. Suggestions?

The T5 is great for around town, and you can cruise comfortably on the highway on flat terrain at 70-75 without running the rpms up too high. It's fine if you run on the trail, but I run in 4 low a lot to turn the 33s in bigger hills. The old 258 doesn't have what she used too!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Something with a t5 or a t176 would probably be your best bet then

I agree with this. I went from a t176 to an np435 in my cj5. Its way better on the trail but not so cool on the street.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

The T5 is great for around town, and you can cruise comfortably on the highway on flat terrain at 70-75 without running the rpms up too high. It's fine if you run on the trail, but I run in 4 low a lot to turn the 33s in bigger hills. The old 258 doesn't have what she used too!

Thanks guys! Super helpful in narrowing down the search

Ranger4011

Thanks for all the interesting info and the interest in general guys don't let the CJs be forgotten to time kick up a stink stir up some interest in these iron classics they deserve every view every like. They bridged the gap by the way without the CJs TJ YJ JK ALL WOULD NOT BE POSIBLE , let's breath new life to these beauty's

holliewood61

Thanks for all the interesting info and the interest in general guys don't let the CJs be forgotten to time kick up a stink stir up some interest in these iron classics they deserve every view every like. They bridged the gap by the way without the CJs TJ YJ JK ALL WOULD NOT BE POSIBLE , let's breath new life to these beauty's

And go out there and win one for the gipper

Top Bottom