Jk6 hellcat

Brute

Hooked
Ohhh...... You are going to want to upgrade the driveline to a 1410 maybe even a 1480. With all that horsepower you might just twist a shaft off the starting gate with the skinny pedal to the the floor. JE Reel will make you custom shafts. Also 4.88's are kinda small for what you are doing, given you are going to run a 60 up front and 80 in the rear you might want 5.38's. Yes you adding horsepower to make up for less gearing, but if you don't tear through a 1350 driveshaft you might just rip the gear apart.

Are you sure the W5A580 Transmission is going to work? Are you upgrading the torque converter? That transmission is only rated for 428 foot pounds stock as is. You might have issues before even getting power to the driveshaft....

I can go on and on with other issues you are going to possibly have but let's start here.

Well, you are right....originally I was going with PR 60's front & rear...and a 6.4 hemi...I've copy & pasted a build sheet that was put together & modified with this original thought. The drive lines will be custom...as well as the four link rear & three link front suspension...coilovers & triple bypass shocks at each corner is a possibility...as far as the NAG1 is concerned, it is being completely rebuilt by Southern Hot Rod in LA for 1000 hp...

Skid_Kid

Well, you are right....originally I was going with PR 60's front & rear...and a 6.4 hemi...I've copy & pasted a build sheet that was put together & modified with this original thought. The drive lines will be custom...as well as the four link rear & three link front suspension...coilovers & triple bypass shocks at each corner is a possibility...as far as the NAG1 is concerned, it is being completely rebuilt by Southern Hot Rod in LA for 1000 hp...

Right on, next question is electronics. You do realize what the Hellcat motor has to have run, the complete wiring kit, with all the computers and accessories, radio and all the other stuff that comes stock in the actual car. If this is not all plugged in, then the computer will go into theft mode. There is only 1 stand alone that has been done this far and lots of issues arose during the build and it is not in a JK. I do realize there has been a few JK builds with the motor, but what you don't see in any pics as of yet how they overcame this, nor do they say in the articles.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Right on, next question is electronics. You do realize what the Hellcat motor has to have run, the complete wiring kit, with all the computers and accessories, radio and all the other stuff that comes stock in the actual car. If this is not all plugged in, then the computer will go into theft mode. There is only 1 stand alone that has been done this far and lots of issues arose during the build and it is not in a JK. I do realize there has been a few JK builds with the motor, but what you don't see in any pics as of yet how they overcame this, nor do they say in the articles.

This is very true. The guys from gas monkey garage are the only ones to pull this off and they had to spend a great deal of money. They literally had to fly two guys from diablosport to help them. Can be done, but difficult. That being said I really think it would be awesome to see a hellcat in a jk.

Wethy

I could be wrong but hAvent lots of people had issues with the yellow tops? For around the same price or a bit more I think a lot of people recommend the odyssey extremes and I mean in my opinion if your already spending that much what's another 100 bucks or so ha ha

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Not only is there no articles on those swaps, I don't think there is even a video of them running.

Skid_Kid

This is very true. The guys from gas monkey garage are the only ones to pull this off and they had to spend a great deal of money. They literally had to fly two guys from diablosport to help them. Can be done, but difficult. That being said I really think it would be awesome to see a hellcat in a jk.

Exactly! This was kinda where I was going with it. Their rivals in that build off had to transplant a whole 2015 Hellcat into their car, engine, electronics, cooling system, power steering, air conditioning, etc..... If you saw the show their 1968 Charger even had to have the 2015 steering wheel installed to make the whole set up work. :crazyeyes:

Not only is there no articles on those swaps, I don't think there is even a video of them running.

There is a video on Youtube of it running and then it cuts to the passenger seat right up against the dash of it driving. I am suspecting that the interior is full of wiring and everything else it took to make it run. Not even at SEMA is there one shot of the interior. :thinking:

Here is my issue, of the two that have been built for the public to see, both are running stockish drivetrain. That is all nice and dandy on the street. Heck I would rock that mall crawling madness, (I would race every Mustang GT I could find...) But put those same rigs on the trail..... Mashing on the skinny pedal when you are trying to get up the rubicon and BAM something WILL break. :yup:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Exactly! This was kinda where I was going with it. Their rivals in that build off had to transplant a whole 2015 Hellcat into their car, engine, electronics, cooling system, power steering, air conditioning, etc..... If you saw the show their 1968 Charger even had to have the 2015 steering wheel installed to make the whole set up work. :crazyeyes:

There is a video on Youtube of it running and then it cuts to the passenger seat right up against the dash of it driving. I am suspecting that the interior is full of wiring and everything else it took to make it run. Not even at SEMA is there one shot of the interior. :thinking:

Here is my issue, of the two that have been built for the public to see, both are running stockish drivetrain. That is all nice and dandy on the street. Heck I would rock that mall crawling madness, (I would race every Mustang GT I could find...) But put those same rigs on the trail..... Mashing on the skinny pedal when you are trying to get up the rubicon and BAM something WILL break. :yup:

Hey, if your wallet's big enough, anything is possible! ;)

Skid_Kid

Hey, if your wallet's big enough, anything is possible! ;)

Very true, but the wallet needs have the same amount as a Trophy Truck to do it right. Equivalent horsepower in both rigs, so the set up should be similar. Not trying to steer the guy off from doing it, just trying to educate all the issues he will have.

Kinda odd that Hauk and Dacota whatever built one and does not show this thing off all the time. I mean if I had a JK Hellcat I would have many many many YouTube videos of this thing. Very strange to me there is not.......

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Very true, but the wallet needs have the same amount as a Trophy Truck to do it right. Equivalent horsepower in both rigs, so the set up should be similar. Not trying to steer the guy off from doing it, just trying to educate all the issues he will have.

Kinda odd that Hauk and Dacota whatever built one and does not show this thing off all the time. I mean if I had a JK Hellcat I would have many many many YouTube videos of this thing. Very strange to me there is not.......

Like you said, getting your rig SEMA worthy is one thing. Actually driving it offroad is something else entirely.

I guess it's hard for me to fathom, because I'll never have the money to do so, but is doing a Hellcat swap more about just doing it to do it or is it necessary? You could probably build a damn stout LS or Hemi that's naturally aspirated, have less issues building it and getting it to play nice with all the electronics and come out around the same HP. The 13 year old me would look at me now and question my manhood over that statement, but it's never easy to be the pioneer of a new engine swap.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I'm sure if you give it a year, diablosport will have a hole plug and play harness with computer to do these hellcat swaps. Along with a heavy price tag.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
There are others that have figured out how to run the engine with standalone systems. You just aren't seeing many of them because about the only way to get a hellcat engine right now is to buy the whole vehicle. Both Hauk and Dakota did this for their builds. You cannot buy a service crate engine yet without the vin and returned core. It will change over time as the engine supply builds and demand for the vehicles drop. Maybe.

Skid_Kid

There are others that have figured out how to run the engine with standalone systems. You just aren't seeing many of them because about the only way to get a hellcat engine right now is to buy the whole vehicle. Both Hauk and Dakota did this for their builds. You cannot buy a service crate engine yet without the vin and returned core. It will change over time as the engine supply builds and demand for the vehicles drop. Maybe.

You are correct. I also have an issue with this. Cause it was either Hauk or Daktoa (I cannot remember) that stated on an open forum they where tearing the cars apart for just the motors and then putting the cars in storage. Where they think they will get 50 cars is beyond me.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You are correct. I also have an issue with this. Cause it was either Hauk or Daktoa (I cannot remember) that stated on an open forum they where tearing the cars apart for just the motors and then putting the cars in storage. Where they think they will get 50 cars is beyond me.

Yup. Was Dakota.

Brute, one piece of advice I'd give you is if the pg2 don't fit in 17s this would be the rare case I'd say get 18s or bigger and find tires to fit. I've driven a 426 hemi powered jk with a rubi case and a 545 trans and it motored through the brakes way too much. Even at idle. With a hellcat, an nag1 with much lower first gear and a 5:1 case you are going to have a crazy time stopping the thing in low range. You will want the biggest brakes you can get! I think dynatrac offers other large brake options that will fit a 17" wheel for the 60 and 80. Like I said get the biggest you can. And get the upgraded mopar master cylinder they released for their new 60s. It isn't just bigger master that uses euro parts like teraflex. It is a whole new booster and master to push much more flow. It's designed for the huge ram 3500 brakes that come on the ud60s. My buddy used it in his with ford hp60 front and newer aam10.5/14b rear (as both have dual cylinder brakes) and it made a world of difference.

I'm guessing since you mention getting groceries you are getting blue label krawlers as opposed to red labels. Check with your vendor, the blue labels have been virtually impossible to get for awhile and bfg has no end in sight. They have been pumping out red labels and can't meet demand so don't see it changing.

Sounds like an awesome build!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Im sure you already talked about this but why shorten your frame and body just six inches? What benefits do you foresee? I mean everybody could use an extra few inches right? :clap2::crazyeyes::cheesy:

Brute

Hooked
I have a JKU at 116" wb, a Brute at 139" wb...wanted something a little shorter than my JKU, but longer than a JK at 96" wb...and it will be a two door truck.

Top Bottom