Tow rigs

tippedover

Probably nothing wrong with it, I just thought if the other one was better I would get it! I loved how the Allison I had had a spin on filter and operated but gm has such a retarded def tank location and fill location I won’t buy one. The whole gooseneck thing is once again if it pulls better I’d rather have it even if it is overkill. I’m just weird

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

The def tank is in a stupid location that’s for sure but you will never hit it or anything if that’s the worry, the fill location is also stupid cause if u mess up u get deff on the engine lol. But that said like a lot of the chevy features better than ram. The seats in ram and the way it rides was a killer for me just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

97TJ

Half ton for life. I use a wore out 97 f-150 with 184k on the clock and a 18ft 3.5 ton big tex. I use weight distribution bars and keep the trailer brakes adjusted up. No problems tuggin it around the mountains of wv.

3/4 and one ton trucks are overkill anymore a new f-150 with the ecoboost 6 cyl can tow around 12k which is plenty to tote a jeep around. Doesn't need def, doesn't need fuel filters every other oil change, hell the oil change wont run you 100 bucks like a diesel. Gas is cheaper than diesel fuel, and a half ton is more comfortable to drive on a daily basis than a 3/4 or one ton.

Im not sayin to buy a janky ol half ton like i have, i run what i can afford. Im just saying dont overlook a half ton if youre in the market for a tow pig.

I may have agreed with your 1/2 ton sentiments until recently. Then my axle housing broke in half last week. I've pulled five heavy loads and deal with washboard roads around here. Swapping out truck axles is a definite chore, even on a 1/2 ton truck.

Heavy duty trucks have heavy duty suspensions, drivetrains, and upgraded braking capabilities. Which we may not need until we need it.

Having said all that, some 1/2 ton trucks come with a trailer package that can boost their trailer rating to 12,000 pounds. Mine did but that didn't help the axle. Perhaps the previous owner was hard on it.

Jeeps run about 5000 pounds with upgrades, a trailer can be over 1500 pounds. The load is significant. Especially when one is doing "safari type" jeeping.

If I planned on regularly hauling a trailer queen Jeep around, I'd take a close look at heavy duty trucks. Especially when considering that the rig may get towed over mountain passes. These passes kill a lot of engines and transmissions that were not equipped for such employment.

Last edited:

jdofmemi

Well spoken☝️☝️

The half ton may do it, but it takes a lot out of it, and there is little to no reserve capacity for when a problem arises.

97TJ

Towing tends to bring up the subject of safety. Looking at driving statistics, it is quite clear that the driver is far more important than the rig.

Expensive sports cars have the best handling and brakes yet are considered a poor risk by the insurance industry. 18 wheelers pulling two containers and those hauling flammable fuels hardly ever get in substantive accidents.

One can do many things to increase towing safety. Driving in the right lane at a reduced speed with no alcohol in the system. Always use safety chains. Allowing for sufficient stopping distance may trump everything.

State of California requires that trailers use the right lane and have a 55mph speed limit for them. I find that overkill but it does reduce the odds of a trailer load becoming disastrous.

Now back to four wheeling. What is more important, the driver or the rig? I watch a lot of four wheeling videos on youtube. Perhaps I am biased but this is what I see. Experienced drivers with older rigs pick "better lines" and use better technique than the less experienced with the $50,000 suspension and drivetrain. Then again, some intentionally choose the harder line for the challenge and excitement. What is more exciting than rolling over?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The funny thing is, the tow ratings have increased on half ton pickups. Some of them have 9,000 to 11,000 pound trailering capacity. My Dad’s 2003 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0L, is only rated for 8,600. Go figure. I’d still buy the 2500 over the 1500, if I were going to trailer much. Even an old one, like his. I can tell you, that 6.0 will move a lot of weight.

97TJ

The funny thing is, the tow ratings have increased on half ton pickups. Some of them have 9,000 to 11,000 pound trailering capacity. My Dad’s 2003 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0L, is only rated for 8,600. Go figure. I’d still buy the 2500 over the 1500, if I were going to trailer much. Even an old one, like his. I can tell you, that 6.0 will move a lot of weight.

Was looking this morning and finding that Ford gets credit for 1/2 ton tow ratings up to ~12,000. The rest hover around ~10,000-11,500. How do these ratings get tested? By Ford? By Dodge? Seems challenging to standardize and objectify.

I'd feel more comfortable pulling a trailer queen with a 1/2 ton than some of these trains I see on the road. Like a pick-up pulling a three axle trailer pulling a Jeep. A good driver can make it safe enough but is driving that really a vacation?

Should off-road Jeepers be closet Safety Sams? I mean, driving on the shelf roads of #8 rated trails is pretty far removed from safe and logical. Guess I'd have to say that we do need to exercise prudent precautionary measures when other drivers are involved.

JKbrick

And suck tons of fuel doing it

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Oh, for towing a lot, go diesel, but you can pick up a reliable 2500 with a 6.0 for cheap. If you don’t tow for a living you can buy a lot of gas, with what you’d save on the vehicle.

I think they would be a lot nicer if they offered 373 gears or something with them, the only option for gas with the heavy duty GM truck is a 6 L with 411 gears

Top Bottom