What size wheels?

brittanymeaghan

I recently bought my first wrangler. 2012, 2 door, sport... I can't wait any longer to start doing stuff to it (it's been 2.5 weeks, but that's aside the point).

Wheel and tires. I want to start with 33's and build it to be ready for 35's by the time I need to replace my tires. What size wheel is going to be best for that? I like the 15's, as I really like the side profile to be mostly tire when you're looking at it. I also like the looks and the affordability of the steelies. Plus if i scratch it or damage it, I won't be crying over a $300 wheel.

The bigger question is, what size do I need to hold a 33 now and 35 later? I really don't want to be replacing wheels again in a year or so. I've seen some people running 15x8's or 15x9's. Or should I go with a bigger rim like a 16-17"?

I'm new to the Jeep world, but I've been working with cars my whole life. So this is semi-new territory for me. IMG_2958.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

Pretty sure 15s won't work without serious backspace or spacers due too interference. I'm with Benito skip the 33s if your planning 35s you won't be happy and don't go above 17 inch wheels I have 18s and no benefit just price increase on tires. Good luck and happy modding!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
You can find those wheels on Craigslist all day long for about 50 bucks a piece, I would say keep them. You can run 35s on them. If you trimmed your fenders, you could probably fit 35s with some rubbing. It would be best to just do a cheap budget boost kit though if you're planning on staying with 35s. We do have a thread about stock jeeps with 35s:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/11064-35-s-and-no-lift

Benito

Caught the Bug
In plan on running stock suspension for a little while and just building it in bits. Will I have clearance for 35's?

Were you planning on doing any lift for the 33s? From personal experience, you can run 37s with no lift and the right amount of back space, and with enough body cutting and adding some bump stops in the rear, I don't recommend it but it is possible. I also have a friend that ran 35s with no lift and only had to trim the pinch seen which is already trimmed on 2013+ models, and added bump stops. You can easily run 35s with a 2.5" budget boost.

brittanymeaghan

I definitely planned on lifting it and chopping the fenders. I just feel like it wouldn't look quite right with either of those until I had some bigger tires. If I can throw some 35's on there now and not have to worry about rubbing (I'd chop the genders sooner than later in that case)... id be totally open to just skipping the 33's

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
WJCO's suggestion is what I'd do. 2 inch budget boost (cheap) and fender trim (free). $200 for some spidertrax wheel spacers and you can run the stock wheels, but if you really want new wheels, the money would be better put toward those. As stated by most, stick with 17's even when/if you go aftermarket.

Pursesnatcher

The bigger question is, what size do I need to hold a 33 now and 35 later? I really don't want to be replacing wheels again in a year or so. I've seen some people running 15x8's or 15x9's. Or should I go with a bigger rim like a 16-17"?

It's all personal preference, but at the end of the day 17in will be most universal - if you're on a trail and need a spare it will be the easiest swap (and vice versa)

Also, I saw you said you'd want to do 33's for now. If you're doing that for immediate satisfaction... just wait it out. Slowly build it up and you'll get to 35's faster (and spend less)

BdugJK

Well here is what I did. 2.5" lift, with 17" wheels and 33" tires. One day the lift will be a long arm 4" but that is well into the future. I really debated about going down in wheel size and I am glad I did not. Stick with 17's as there are tons of tire options and no fitment issues. Skip the 33's. My wife just said the other day "yeah, you should have got the 35s." Came out to a 2dr JK with 35s parked next to us, ugh. So budget boost to get by, 17" wheels, and 35s have my vote. Good luck!

brittanymeaghan

Okay. So after tons of input from you guys, a lot of thinking & shopping around.... I'm about to order some 315/70R17's!! According to some online calculations, that'll be 34.4" high and 12.4" wide!!!!
I'm planning on chopping my fenders and just keeping it off of major trails until December when I can lift it for Christmas, just to avoid any unnecessary rubbing [emoji51]

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Okay. So after tons of input from you guys, a lot of thinking & shopping around.... I'm about to order some 315/70R17's!! According to some online calculations, that'll be 34.4" high and 12.4" wide!!!!
I'm planning on chopping my fenders and just keeping it off of major trails until December when I can lift it for Christmas, just to avoid any unnecessary rubbing [emoji51]

Wheel spacers and stock wheels, or aftermarket wheels?

Top Bottom