Oscar's No Build Thread

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Finally finished my winch project today! I started with making some fairlead stiffeners from some 1/4" x 1 1/4" flat stock, cut them to 4" long on the cold saw:

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

Drilled some holes and painted:

IMG_4041.jpg

The fairlead mounting went from this:

IMG_4019.jpg

To this:

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

I don't think the bolts will pull through anymore! Then I painted the winch plate:

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4038.jpg

After that I cut the fairlead hole in my bumper facia with an ultra sonic saw (no pics ☹️), mounted the winch, bumper, vacuum pump, control box and ran all the wires:

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

Turns out it was just shitty enough outside to stretch the cable [emoji51]:

IMG_4048.jpg

Hard to believe that I started to pull the dumpster [emoji33]:

IMG_4047.jpg

Then a stop a Home Depot for license plate mounting hardware:

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

Done:

IMG_4057.jpg

Time for some beers! [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Well done! Looks great! [emoji106] [emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Thanks! It took a long time, but I'm really happy with how it all turned out! Nothing like being able to say "I did that". [emoji41]

Damn buddy that is terrific! Awesome job! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you!

Nice! :thumb:

Thanks! It was a lot of work! Now I have to start thinking about the next project [emoji6].

Nicely done!

Thanks! You wouldn't believe how many times I considered just buying a plate for the top of the bumper [emoji33]. 30 hour mod and install means that I had my share of issues to deal with!

That is fantastic!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you!

DannyD

That's great work it looks amazing! I'm curious how you mounted the license plate cause I can't get an efficient way to keep mine on my winch and we need fronts here in NY

sipafz

Caught the Bug
That's great work it looks amazing! I'm curious how you mounted the license plate cause I can't get an efficient way to keep mine on my winch and we need fronts here in NY

Thanks, I used 1 1/2" conduit straps and attached them right to the fairlead rollers with wing nuts for easy removal:

IMG_4033.jpg

Looking down:

IMG_4056.jpg

I tweaked them in a vice to make them "snap" onto the rollers so they stay put.

Looking good, keep up the good work!

Thank you!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I had some free time today so I started to build a rear seat recline kit. I had a bar of 7/8" x 1 1/2" x 18" Ductile Iron that had been Blanchard Ground on 4 sides just laying around the shop:

IMG_4063.jpg

I cut 4 blocks to 2 5/8 long:

IMG_4064.jpg

And set them under the seat legs to transfer the hole location, did some layout and punched the centers:

IMG_4065.jpg

Afterward, I drilled a 1/2" Diameter hole through each one.

Then I cut the three rear spacers from 1/2" x 1 1/2" Steel Bar to 1 5/8" long and drilled a 1/2" Diameter hole through the center of each one.

IMG_4066.jpg

Ready for painting. I replaced the 4 leg hex head screws with longer M12x65 SHCS and flat washers. I will post a before and after picture once the installation is complete.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Man! I'd love to have access to that equipment and "scrap" metal! Nice [emoji1303]

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

I'm a little spoiled having a 90,000 square foot facility and equipment available for my hobbies! Especially during the winter months. It's always nice to have a warm place to work on Oscar.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Finished the recline spacers and installed them this afternoon. Started with some paint for the spacers and oxidized the washers.

IMG_4069.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

Then the tedious task of removing 8 seat bolts plus 2 nuts, adding the spacers and reinstalling.

Before (notice the headrest to window relationship):

IMG_4068.jpg

After:

IMG_4077.jpg

I think I cheated the photo a bit. It seems that the spacers offset the seat a good 3" and definitely made a difference! In all this project cost me zero dollars, but I wouldn't recommend it since that wouldn't be the case for most people. Kits are available from Amazon for $25. That's hard to beat if you had to pay for the materials and hardware.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Made a stop at Home Depot for a furnace filter and a bunch of other stuff made its way into my cart:

IMG_4081.jpg

Found some painted, aluminum, expanded metal designed for rain gutter screens that were 5" wide by 36" long for less than $3 each. A bag of zip ties, anchors, and epoxy rounded out the purchase.

Cut the screens to 3 3/4" wide by 12" long. I need to peel away the 2 way tape from the 32 anchors and epoxy them into place:

IMG_4082.jpg

Then zip tie the screen to the anchors. This is what the end result will look like when I finish tomorrow:

IMG_4084.jpg

I think I like it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom