Engine Fire 2008 JKUR

jesse3638

Hooked
Damn that really sucks. Especially since you just put all that work into it. Glad you're OK as material things can be replaced but health and lives can't.

I’m leaning towards having the insurance fix it, but I’m afraid they may total it? It’s a 2008 with 102k miles. I read that other post about the tree harpooning the Jeep and it was totaled. Makes me nervous...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Unfortunately you may be right about it being totalled. Fires are never good for vehicles and even a small one can lead to it being totalled. Not to mention all the possible electrical gremlins that may pop up after its repaired. My ex father in law owns a body shop and always said if a vehicle catches fire to let it burn and he'd fight the fire dept off until is gone..haha. That's easier said than done when it's a vehicle like this which had countless hours of work, sweat equity, and memories in it. If it was my sentra or Durango I'd let it go, but my jeep I'd do the same. I usually carry 2 extinguishers on the trail but pull my big one for DD. Looks like I'll be putting it back.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lojo

If they do total it can you buy it back??? It probably would be salvaged title but might be a thought.
I also have stock bumpers and tires/wheels and springs/shocks if you need them to swap out. Just let me know.

pop2tu

Glad you weren’t hurt. I know somebody mentioned coolant is not flammable, I used to think so too. A few years ago we had a military wrecker catch fire and burn to the ground, I was not there at the time, but on lookers said the coolant was burning. I thought that was BS. The fire investigator listed the fire as a coolant leak that was ignited from spraying on to exhaust.

IMG_1698.jpg

Spazbyt

Hooked
Glad you weren’t hurt. I know somebody mentioned coolant is not flammable, I used to think so too. A few years ago we had a military wrecker catch fire and burn to the ground, I was not there at the time, but on lookers said the coolant was burning. I thought that was BS. The fire investigator listed the fire as a coolant leak that was ignited from spraying on to exhaust.

View attachment 324218

"Pure" Antifreeze or coolant though? Maybe concentrated coolant is flammable under pressure?

TrailHunter

Hooked

View attachment 324218

That’s interesting...

Ruvicon

Ok, so need some feedback from you guys on my “theory” on how my engine fire started.

Keep in mind that I had just left my house in about 55 degree temps, was about two miles away getting onto the freeway when I noticed a bunch of white smoke coming from behind me. If you look at the picture below, the heater hose has a two inch wide rupture (no visible fire damage) where the Sharpie is. The plastic fuel line was where the RED line is drawn, but it was sagging post-fire as indicated by the BLUE line. I suspect the heater hose blew, melting the plastic fuel line causing it to sag until a small fuel leak started a fire under the hood blowing it back onto the firewall and hood insulation. All the damage is centered in this area. In addition, those Gates heater hoses only have 15k miles on them and the thermostat is a factory unit with 4K miles on it.

Is that a plausible scenario? Or what are your thoughts, ruptured fuel line first?

IMG_8391.jpg

Last edited:

Lojo

There are other hot components in that area as well. 220 is probably enough to weaken it enough for fuel pressure to compromise it. With the fuel line being compromised and under pressure could be possible. Fuel as well as fuel vapors can ignite and is very volatile. Looks like it may have been a domino effect.

pop2tu

I think between the heat of the coolant, the pressure of fuel inside of the hose, and the fact the hose is 11 years old(if it is factory), it very possible.

Spazbyt

Hooked
I think my 2014 had some insulting foam blocks in that area. Figured it was for intake heat soak but maybe for the fuel lines?:idontknow:

Bustedback

I would pay the deductible and have it fixed by a professional. You’re not gonna save any money by fixing it yourself in this situation. Stuff adds up pretty quickly when you start digging deeper into the damaged area, 500 bucks will be cheap.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Ruvicon

Finally got the Jeep back on the road today. Replaced all the melted stuff (plastic fuel line, both vapor lines, heater hoses) and all plastic wiring loom under the hood. Changed spark plugs & wires since wires were charred a bit and both were due at 100k miles. Runs great! IMG_8548.JPG

Top Bottom