FlatTop Build

Flat Top

Weekend work.

Intermittent P0394 + Traction control light = new Cam position sensor. For $50 I ordered 2 but the drivers side looks like a complete PITA (pulling intake). The passenger side was the source of the CEL so we will start with it. Fairly easy install although the old sensor needs a little coaxing to remove.

CamSensor.jpg

I could pretty much generate the CEL at will last summer. I needed 85+ degree day plus ~ 15 minutes at 80 mph. We will see pretty soon if this was a fix.

After replacing my unit bearings a couple of weeks ago with the short ABS wire unit I've been trying to figure out a solution for the shortness. Even after outing inside the frame the lines still looked short so I decide to try to make some plug in extensions. It might be overkill but for $14 in new parts I figured it was worth a try. I still had my old ABS cable from the original bearings so I had half the extensions, all I needed to do was figure out the female connector. Interwebs search lead me to a potential plug - Standard Motor Products S824 Pigtail. Amazon has them for $7 prime so it was worth a shot. Ordered a couple and sure enough they work perfect with the male end. The new plugs don't have the secondary red lock but the connection is still solid. Old male plus new female = new extension. Only odd thing was figuring out the color coding, 50% chance and I was initially wrong.

Original male black ---> new female red
Original male white ---> new female black

ABS_wiring.jpg

They ended up being ~13 inches long but only need to be about half that length. I wanted to err on the long side for now. Been running then for a few days w/out issue.

TLDNR

Standard Motor Products S824 Pigtail Female + Old ABS male end = ABS extension for front.

ABS_Connector.jpg

ABS_wiring_2.jpg

ABS_wiring_4.jpg

Last edited:

tdougherty81

Weekend work.

Intermittent P0394 + Traction control light = new Cam position sensor. For $50 I ordered 2 but the drivers side looks like a complete PITA (pulling intake). The passenger side was the source of the CEL so we will start with it. Fairly easy install although the old sensor needs a little coaxing to remove.

View attachment 298267

I could pretty much generate the CEL at will last summer. I needed 85+ degree day plus ~ 15 minutes at 80 mph. We will see pretty soon if this was a fix.

After replacing my unit bearings a couple of weeks ago with the short ABS wire unit I've been trying to figure out a solution for the shortness. Even after outing inside the frame the lines still looked short so I decide to try to make some plug in extensions. It might be overkill but for $14 in new parts I figured it was worth a try. I still had my old ABS cable from the original bearings so I had half the extensions, all I needed to do was figure out the female connector. Interwebs search lead me to a potential plug - Standard Motor Products S824 Pigtail. Amazon has them for $7 prime so it was worth a shot. Ordered a couple and sure enough they work perfect with the male end. The new plugs don't have the secondary red lock but the connection is still solid. Old male plus new female = new extension. Only odd thing was figuring out the color coding, 50% chance and I was initially wrong.

Original male black ---> new female red
Original male white ---> new female black

View attachment 298272

They ended up being ~13 inches long but only need to be about half that length. I wanted to err on the long side for now. Been running then for a few days w/out issue.

TLDNR

Standard Motor Products S824 Pigtail Female + Old ABS male end = ABS extension for front.

View attachment 298269

View attachment 298270

View attachment 298271

Nice job!

This reminds me I need to fix the rear locker plug before this weekend. Not sure when I broke or how but noticed when I was doing the rear coilovers.

Flat Top

Another fantastic trip to Wolf Caves (4-6 to 4-8) resulted in carnage and annoying / lingering issues.

A Rock and an Off Camber place =

Poser pic with no idea of the fun ahead.
20180408_122508.jpg

Rock on the right, of camber to the left...
20180408_130909.jpg

20180409_192401.jpg

20180409_192354.jpg

Actually less damage than I expected, the B-Pillar needs a little work before I cover with EVO skins but I'm not sure what to do yet with the rear panel. The EVO aluminum skids did their job mostly, except for the top tab being torn off. I guess that's expected since these were the aluminum skins.

Doing a check of the Jeep before leaving Wolf Caves I noticed my knuckle side drag link TRE was SHOT. The cotter pin was gone and the nut was half way backed off but seemed to be locked into place. I had quite a bit of play in the steering but was able to drive the 30 minutes to Llano to an auto parts that had a replacement. Swapped in a new one and safely on the way home.

During the check also noticed my stock evap skid had taken a pretty good hit and was bent out of shape (preview of coming fun).

Last week's commute to work resulted in lots of bump steer that started to lead to death wobble around 45-50. Determined the drag link flip insert was pretty worn so I've order a new one to be delivered this week. The pitman side TRE on the drag link also looks like it made contact with the trackbar (torn boot and grease on the trackbar) and now has slight pop/movement so I'll replace it as well.

Thursday I was greeted with a MIL light when I got to work. P1504, P0304, P0441, P0445 and P0456 all Pending Faults.

The P0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire will need to wait but all the others pointed to an EVAP canister leak.

Weekend work:

Inspected drag link, ordered new TRE for the pitman side. Rotated knuckle insert to try to get a better fit.

After getting the correct steering stabilizer bracket I remounted the SS. It helps with the bump steer/ DW and the over crappy Houston roads but I still need to address the root cause.

Rotate tires, they have gotten a off balance with the trips this year. Definitely help smooth things out and delay a trip to DT for balancing.

Pulled the evap canister to straighten the bracket (I hesitate to label it a "skid"). Found a crack in the canister around one of the hose connections. I tried to superglue / RTV the crack but not looking good. After re attaching and a couple ignition cycles I still have the code.

$120 for a new EVAP Canister? :eek:

Oh well, another $200+ bucks for a new EVAP canister and a new skid to protect it. I also broke the retention clips on the vent hoses. :crazyeyes: Just Empty Every Pocket... :gaah:

Once I get rid of the EVAP code I'll address the Cylinder 4 misfire.. New Head in my future?:naw:

Last edited:

tdougherty81

Another fantastic trip to Wolf Caves (4-6 to 4-8) resulted in carnage and annoying / lingering issues.

A Rock and an Off Camber place =

Poser pic with no idea of the fun ahead.
View attachment 299401

Rock on the right, of camber to the left...
View attachment 299404

View attachment 299402

View attachment 299403

Actually less damage than I expected, the B-Pillar needs a little work before I cover with EVO skins but I'm not sure what to do yet with the rear panel. The EVO aluminum skids did their job mostly, except for the top tab being torn off. I guess that's expected since these were the aluminum skins.

Doing a check of the Jeep before leaving Wolf Caves I noticed my knuckle side drag link TRE was SHOT. The cotter pin was gone and the nut was half way backed off but seemed to be locked into place. I had quite a bit of play in the steering but was able to drive the 30 minutes to Llano to an auto parts that had a replacement. Swapped in a new one and safely on the way home.

During the check also noticed my stock evap skid had taken a pretty good hit and was bent out of shape (preview of coming fun).

Last week's commute to work resulted in lots of bump steer that started to lead to death wobble around 45-50. Determined the drag link flip insert was pretty worn so I've order a new one to be delivered this week. The pitman side TRE on the drag link also looks like it made contact with the trackbar (torn boot and grease on the trackbar) and not has slight pop/movement so I'll replace it as well.

Thursday I was greeted with a MIL light when I got to work. P1504, P0304, P0441, P0445 and P0456 all Pending Faults.

The P0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire will need to wait but all the others pointed to an EVAP canister leak.

Weekend work:

Inspected drag link, ordered new TRE for the pitman side. Rotated knuckle insert to try to get a better fit.

After getting the correct steering stabilizer bracket I remounted the SS. It helps with the bump steer/ DW and the over crappy Houston roads.

Rotate tires, they have gotten a off balance with the trips this year. Definitely help smooth things out and delay a trip to DT for balancing.

Pulled the evap canister to straighten the bracket (I hesitate to label it a "skid"). Found a crack in the canister around one of the hose connections. I tried to superglue / RTV the crack but not looking good. After re attaching and a couple ignition cycles I still have the code.

Oh well, another $200+ bucks for a new EVAP canister and a new skid to protect it. I also broke the retention clips on the vent hoses. :crazyeyes: Just Empty Every Pocket... :gaah:

Once I get rid of the EVAP code I'll address the Cylinder 4 misfire.. New Head in my future?:naw:

Dang Tom! I actually came out pretty unscathed this time.

Goddam Tom! We all need a break from Wolf Caves it seems lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Last week's commute to work resulted in lots of bump steer that started to lead to death wobble around 45-50. Determined the drag link flip insert was pretty worn so I've order a new one to be delivered this week. The pitman side TRE on the drag link also looks like it made contact with the trackbar (torn boot and grease on the trackbar) and now has slight pop/movement so I'll replace it as well.

Weekend work:

After getting the correct steering stabilizer bracket I remounted the SS. It helps with the bump steer/ DW and the over crappy Houston roads but I still need to address the root cause.

That's quite the list! But nothing some beers and a few days in the garage cant fix up. :thumb:

Flat Top

Goddam Tom! We all need a break from Wolf Caves it seems lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's become my favorite park but just DAMN!

Dang Tom! I actually came out pretty unscathed this time.

I agree.

I'd be happy with that next time.

That's quite the list! But nothing some beers and a few days in the garage cant fix up. :thumb:

Right! The wife is out of town this weekend so no Honey-Do's to get in the way.

Flat Top

A little bit of work this past weekend:

Transmission

With 99300 miles I have neglected the auto transmission so after some hard shifting issues I decided to change the transmission fluid. After pulling the EVO Protek skids I tried to drop the trans pan with the exhaust crossover in place, BIG MISTAKE! After washing the fluid off my face (the tranny is slanted towards the back of the Jeep) I decided to loosen the exhaust bolts. With a little WD40 they came off surprisingly easy and the entire crossover easily pivoted out of the way and allowed for an clear filter / fluid change. There was a pretty thick layer of fine sludge on the magnet but nothing of major concern. Swapped the filter and buttoned it back up then added 3 quarts worth of ATF+4 back to the transmission. I'm leaving the ProTek skids off for now to make sure all is OK.

So far with a couple of short trip and one round trip work commute the hard shift problem has stopped. The other problem I think might be related is the P0349 Camshaft sensor code I get (93+ degree days running 75-80 mph for 15 mins). I've replace the sensor already but now that the temps are up limp mode is back occasionally.

Bling

20180527_194456.jpg
20180527_194554.jpg
20180528_163454.jpg
There are already enough threads on these but the only install tip I have is if you have a black battery,PULL IT! I was slowly grinding away at the battery case before I realized exactly what it was. Hopefully I stopped before I weakened the case bottom. :crazyeyes:

20180527_202210.jpg
20180527_200624.jpg

Still adjusting and waiting for the shocks to settle in. The initial timing ring setting in the front now need to be moved down another 2 inches (almost to the bottom of the threads). The only clearance issue so far in my FANTASTIC MidArm RK rear lowers have the upper track bar bolt contacting the passenger rear bump stop. Looks like I can shave the bolt and possibly mive the bump stop forward a bit.

20180530_122523.jpg
20180530_122536.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
The only clearance issue so far in my FANTASTIC MidArm RK rear lowers have the upper track bar bolt contacting the passenger rear bump stop. Looks like I can shave the bolt and possibly move the bump stop forward a bit.

Flip the bolt around. :thumb:

Shuffle

Great looking jeep and insight on your projects! What made you switch to the EVO coil overs and how are you liking them? I am very tempted to pull the trigger and order the kit for my JK. Thanks for any input.

Top Bottom