JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

desertrunner

Used both Gaia and onX, I like them both and typically use both. I think the OnX features are really nice and easy to use but I find the trail numbers and labels are better on Gaia. Gaia is definitely a great free option but can be annoying to find and download the maps where OnX is much easier (but not free)

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

donmontalvo

I love the collaborative responses!

I ended up getting the Overlander and I’m very happy with it. It’s a true GPS so it doesn’t rely on cell towers like Assisted GPS (A-GPS or AGPS).

I no longer need a crutch (Bad Elf) to give my iPhone/iPad almost true GPS capabilities. Though the capabilities are useless without cell towers, therein lies the dilemma.

I mounted it to a C size (1.5” ball) RAM Mount short bar on a Tough Track bar, and it’s been as solid as a rock (the B size 1” ball was a little wiggly). The device is quite capable on and off road.

I still have to learn some time intricacies of its Android system, it’s become quite the functional gadget. Lots of hooks to services, more useful in road than off road.

I have to say most the reviews don’t mention the concerns I personally had. Assisted GPS vs GPS is real concern that overlanders can appreciate. Having a Swiss Army knife of handy tools has proven to pay off.

IMG_3948.jpg IMG_3947.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I love the collaborative responses!

I ended up getting the Overlander and I’m very happy with it. It’s a true GPS so it doesn’t rely on cell towers like Assisted GPS (A-GPS or AGPS).

I no longer need a crutch (Bad Elf) to give my iPhone/iPad almost true GPS capabilities. Though the capabilities are useless without cell towers, therein lies the dilemma.

I mounted it to a C size (1.5” ball) RAM Mount short bar on a Tough Track bar, and it’s been as solid as a rock (the B size 1” ball was a little wiggly). The device is quite capable on and off road.

I still have to learn some time intricacies of its Android system, it’s become quite the functional gadget. Lots of hooks to services, more useful in road than off road.

I have to say most the reviews don’t mention the concerns I personally had. Assisted GPS vs GPS is real concern that overlanders can appreciate. Having a Swiss Army knife of handy tools has proven to pay off.

View attachment 354193 View attachment 354194

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’ve been very happy with mine. We used it a ton on the recent Moab trip. It even maintained. Strong signal down in the canyons. It takes a bit getting used too when you are installing GPX files for your trail maps, but once you get it down, it’s great.

One thing that I love about it is that you can do all of your planning on your phone in the app or on the computer and then everything syncs to the overlander snd my watch. Great system.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

donmontalvo

I’ve been very happy with mine. We used it a ton on the recent Moab trip. It even maintained. Strong signal down in the canyons. It takes a bit getting used too when you are installing GPX files for your trail maps, but once you get it down, it’s great.

One thing that I love about it is that you can do all of your planning on your phone in the app or on the computer and then everything syncs to the overlander snd my watch. Great system.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yep, love how true GPS devices lock into a dozen or so sattelites and keep looking for and connecting as you go.

GPS sucks in big cities, so the iPhone/iPad have its use as navigation devices.

But nothing beats super responsive/accurate true GPS for overlanding.

Top Bottom