New axle

jdofmemi

That's true with replaceable bearings but in the case of the JK, they are totally sealed and self-contained. There isn't any way to tighten them up.

The GM bearing that caused the story above is a sealed, self contained unit bearing as well, but the design of it is such that the stub shaft tightens down and holds it together. The light press fit of the bearings in the unit assembly is not enough. I don't think it sets preload, more of just keeping the two halves together.

While it may not be an issue on JK's, it is on some vehicles, and you don't know which ones until it's too late

ThatJeepGuy

The GM bearing that caused the story above is a sealed, self contained unit bearing as well, but the design of it is such that the stub shaft tightens down and holds it together. The light press fit of the bearings in the unit assembly is not enough. I don't think it sets preload, more of just keeping the two halves together.

While it may not be an issue on JK's, it is on some vehicles, and you don't know which ones until it's too late

I think the moral of the story here is it’s better to be safe than sorry

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I've got a D30 housing you could have for pretty dang cheap. I'm tired of looking at it. Then you could save for an axle that's worth the money (ProRock).

Top Bottom