MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

JoseRubicon

Thank you all! Re did it again last night. Took my time, filled it with oil after letting it sit for about 10 minutes after assembly. Put a piece of cardboard and check it in the morning. No drips or leaks.

I haven't gotten a chance to drive it yet, will do to work tomorrow, but if it's not leaking now, I think I'm safe.

If that worked, I'll install the front differential cover later this week.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
what brand?

So im doing a front end gear oil change on my d30 today at somepoint because the seal seems to have gone bad at the bottom. so im pulling the stock covers adn reinstalling with a fresh bead of RTV. i know eddie went from synthetic back to dino but was curious at to what brand i should get? are they all the same? thanks in advance!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So im doing a front end gear oil change on my d30 today at somepoint because the seal seems to have gone bad at the bottom. so im pulling the stock covers adn reinstalling with a fresh bead of RTV. i know eddie went from synthetic back to dino but was curious at to what brand i should get? are they all the same? thanks in advance!

They're all pretty much the same and I personally don't worry too much about it. And, to be clear, I just went back to dino because I change my fluid often and synthetic can get really expensive.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
They're all pretty much the same and I personally don't worry too much about it. And, to be clear, I just went back to dino because I change my fluid often and synthetic can get really expensive.

ok cool thanks eddie. and yea i remember you saying that. i can see myself doing it often as well since we tend to have a decent amount of deep water holes to drive thru.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Eddie I have a follow up question. When I was at my local pep boys it appeared to me that all of the gear oils had limited slip labeled on them. I was able to find one that didn't mention it but was curious as to if the limited slip one would be bad for my diff since I am 99% sure I don't have a limited slip and since I have the ARB in the rear.

Sorry if this has been asked already

edit: ignore me. i read thru this thread and the other diff thread and found my answer. it has been asked. the answer is yes i would be ok adding gear oil like mobile 1 that says limited slip on the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie I have a follow up question. When I was at my local pep boys it appeared to me that all of the gear oils had limited slip labeled on them. I was able to find one that didn't mention it but was curious as to if the limited slip one would be bad for my diff since I am 99% sure I don't have a limited slip and since I have the ARB in the rear.

Sorry if this has been asked already

edit: ignore me. i read thru this thread and the other diff thread and found my answer. it has been asked. the answer is yes i would be ok adding gear oil like mobile 1 that says limited slip on the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone

LOL!! Glad to hear you found your answer.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
LOL!! Glad to hear you found your answer.

lol thanks eddie. the only question i still have that i couldnt find is if the ones labled limited slip will affect my ARB locker at all? i assume not but just want to double check.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
lol thanks eddie. the only question i still have that i couldnt find is if the ones labled limited slip will affect my ARB locker at all? i assume not but just want to double check.

I had been running nothing but synth in my axles with ARB's for a long time and to the best of my knowledge, I haven't had any problems with it. I have had o-ring leaks and minor issues like that but, I can't say for sure if the friction modifier played any part in that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I had been running nothing but synth in my axles with ARB's for a long time and to the best of my knowledge, I haven't had any problems with it. I have had o-ring leaks and minor issues like that but, I can't say for sure if the friction modifier played any part in that.

ok cool thanks eddie i figured i would be good but just wanted to double check. :yup::thumb:

as for your ARB's having issues, i think its all the curbs at the mall that you had to use your lockers on that made them leak :cheesy::cheesy:

Jersey_Devil

Quick question.... I've been running Valvoline 80w-90 for a while now with no problems, is that OK? Should I be going with the 75w-90? I'm about to do my front and rear and just wanted to know before I did it if there will be a problem with this weight.....

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399994890106.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399994890106.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 750

MurderedJK

When I got my ARB I asked ARB about this. They told me that any "friction modifier" is basically an abrasive that WILL over time break down the ARB O-rings and seals. I'm sure this happens over a long period of time but nonetheless, the guy at ARB suggested nothing but dino for me. He said too expensive for synth fluid just to risk the damages to the locker seals and O-rings.

Cheers!:beer:

LeJerk

If you are unsure how much you'll need in your axle, a good rule of thumb to follow is that you only need as much gear oil as is needed to get it to reach the bottom of your axle tubes.

I have an aftermarket diff cover, just to be clear, you fill it up LEVEL with the red line in the picture? 06_RearDiff.JPG

BenoA

Did the job today. Thanks for the post. Very good write-up. One question about the front, how do you pour the oil as the container gets blocked by the bar? I managed to fill it up but did quite a mess when I started.
13ca64886527eac5541ccff01a039599.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Did the job today. Thanks for the post. Very good write-up. One question about the front, how do you pour the oil as the container gets blocked by the bar? I managed to fill it up but did quite a mess when I started.
13ca64886527eac5541ccff01a039599.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

You should be using a bottle pump. I am fairly certain Eddie actually uses one in this write-up. Makes the transfer a lot easier and less messy.

Edit: Not in the diff oil write ups but on the transmission write up here:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-nsg-370-manual-transmission-service

The bottle pump will help out next time. :yup:

Last edited:

Yuriy

Changing my rear differential fluid. I f someone told me a year ago that i would be doing something like that myself, i would laugh!!! But now, i try to do as much myself as i possibly can!! Was surprised to see my diff fluid being so muddy looking. The hardest part is squeezing the gasket sealant!!! now waiting for it to harden so i can torque the bolts!!!! thanks for the wright up!!!!!:clap2::thumb:

Last edited:
Top Bottom