Tow rigs

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I am a little embarrassed to even share mine given how awesome many of your rigs are! LOL
I inherited a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 24v Cummins last July. When I went to Washington, where my dad - the previous owner - lived and died, it had: no brakes and no brake fluid (rotors were gone up front and nearly so in the rear); no radiator fluid as the heater core was pouring fluid; gas tank held in place by ratchet straps; a foot of play in the steering due partially to completely worn out draglink and tierod and power steering fluid dripping from the sector shaft; no headlights; no cruise control; no AC and bad vaccuum lines caused only the defrost vents to work; and tiny (235) MT tires that hummed all the way back from Walla Walla to Omaha. In the month after I got it home I fixed all of these issues and made additional upgrades. I added a topper that we sleep in while on the road and we took our maiden voyage to Hot Springs Arkansas - roughly a 10.5 hour drive from Omaha - which is when I took the attached pic when we stopped at my mom's in Kansas on our way. I rented a trailer for $50/day and am now trying to figure out what kind of trailer I want to buy to tow the Jeep in or on. The truck performed amazingly! It was so nice to not have to worry the entire time about driving the Jeep home 10.5 hours after wheeling all weekend! Looking forward to additional upgrades to the tow rig (AKA: The White Elephant) and for more trips!

Tow Rig.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I am a little embarrassed to even share mine given how awesome many of your rigs are! LOL
I inherited a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 24v Cummins last July. When I went to Washington, where my dad - the previous owner - lived and died, it had: no brakes and no brake fluid (rotors were gone up front and nearly so in the rear); no radiator fluid as the heater core was pouring fluid; gas tank held in place by ratchet straps; a foot of play in the steering due partially to completely worn out draglink and tierod and power steering fluid dripping from the sector shaft; no headlights; no cruise control; no AC and bad vaccuum lines caused only the defrost vents to work; and tiny (235) MT tires that hummed all the way back from Walla Walla to Omaha. In the month after I got it home I fixed all of these issues and made additional upgrades. I added a topper that we sleep in while on the road and we took our maiden voyage to Hot Springs Arkansas - roughly a 10.5 hour drive from Omaha - which is when I took the attached pic when we stopped at my mom's in Kansas on our way. I rented a trailer for $50/day and am now trying to figure out what kind of trailer I want to buy to tow the Jeep in or on. The truck performed amazingly! It was so nice to not have to worry the entire time about driving the Jeep home 10.5 hours after wheeling all weekend! Looking forward to additional upgrades to the tow rig (AKA: The White Elephant) and for more trips!

View attachment 370913

Nothing to be embarrassed about - nice rig and it has history to boot. Double win!

JT@623

Hooked

View attachment 370913
Nothing wrong with a 5.9 Cummins those years are easier to work on and will run forever 👍

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Nothing wrong with a 5.9 Cummins those years are easier to work on and will run forever 👍
Thanks! The engine has 165,000 on it and just before he passed my dad had to replace the VP44 injector pump which are notorious for going bad on these trucks due to low fuel pressure. Thus, my next upgrade will be an aftermarket lifter pump - thinking of going with the Air Dog 100gph unit. Next up will be a new turbo to get me to a true 4" exhaust from the turbo back to lower my EGT and give a small boost in power though I am only going with a stock size turbo when I upgrade. It has been fun to learn more about diesel engines!

JimLee

Hooked

View attachment 370913
Don't be embarrassed, waay nicer than mine! (no thats not my house, just some random empty driveway pic from the interwebs, you get the point)
6155772464_643ea61b16_z.1511191820180.jpg

Ram 3500 with Cummins & 20k. It’s rolled across the scales at 28,600 with the backhoe on the trailer…it laughs at Jeep’s weight.

Attachments

• D2C1037D-9DA6-4211-BFFF-5058E6B8DD07.jpeg
    D2C1037D-9DA6-4211-BFFF-5058E6B8DD07.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 76073DB0-9F6C-4C1A-8917-DB43BBBD1361.jpeg
    76073DB0-9F6C-4C1A-8917-DB43BBBD1361.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 8

Wrpnst1

Only a Jeep should tow a Jeep!! LOL. This is my 2020 jeep Gladiator I have set up to tow my JK. 4.88 gears, airbags and Redarc break controller work perfect. Also having a retaliative light trailer and only hauling a two door does help. Cruise down the road at 70+ MPH no problem at all and average around 12 MPH.
image0 (4).jpeg
IMG_0137.jpg

Attachments

• image0 (4).jpeg
    image0 (4).jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom