DANA Ultimate UD60 TORTURE TESTED & PROVEN on the JL / JT Experience

Exodus 4x4

I was on the JL/JT Experience when you had your break so I only recently got a chance to catch up on things. Sucks that you had a break and wish I could have seen how it happened. For all the hammering we did back east, spinning tires and having them suddenly stop as they found traction, I totally expected to see some carnage. But, none happened. As far as the 93 days go, that sounds nuts and really, I don't know what to say about that. Being that I got my axles through Mel, I asked him how long it would take for me to get a replacement shaft if needed and he just asked, would Ground would be okay or would I need it faster? :idontknow:

Yeah it’s disappointing and considering we called every vendor in the country with no luck, I find it hard to believe Mel could get any. Last I heard the axle shafts are in Hungary and won’t be here anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

They won’t crack open a crate and pull a shaft out of an unsold unit for ya? Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it’s disappointing and considering we called every vendor in the country with no luck, I find it hard to believe Mel could get any. Last I heard the axle shafts are in Hungary and won’t be here anytime soon.

Like I said, I don't know what to say about that. All I was told was that I would need to contact the vendor I got my axles from. Mel's always got a stack of crates at his shop so maybe he's got some kind of inside help or maybe he'd just take a shaft out from one of them. Of course, I don't know for sure being that I haven't asked but maybe I will now. Whatever the case is, he didn't give me any indication that it would be a problem for me or any customer. Have you thought about having custom RCV's made? Although I'm not a fan of them, I do know they can and do make just about anything you need.

Exodus 4x4

They won’t crack open a crate and pull a shaft out of an unsold unit for ya? Interesting.

No, it doesn’t work like that for anyone. Doesn’t matter to me at this point since when I talked to Spicer about it, they could’ve cared less. The funnier part of the conversation with them was when they told me undoubtedly, based on the pictures, that the u-joint failed from a wheel spinning and suddenly gaining traction.

People can point the finger at anyone but Spicer but let’s be real about it, they’re shit broke and they won’t stand behind it even if I’m willing to pay for it. I can only stand behind a product as much as they’ll stand behind me.

No, it doesn’t work like that for anyone. Doesn’t matter to me at this point since when I talked to Spicer about it, they could’ve cared less. The funnier part of the conversation with them was when they told me undoubtedly, based on the pictures, that the u-joint failed from a wheel spinning and suddenly gaining traction.

People can point the finger at anyone but Spicer but let’s be real about it, they’re shit broke and they won’t stand behind it even if I’m willing to pay for it. I can only stand behind a product as much as they’ll stand behind me.

Interesting turn of events. You would think with everyone that people know in this industry someone would be able to make a phone call to ‘the guy’ and have it taken care of instead of just the dude answering phones in a cubicle. Downside of middle man vendors and large factories I suppose. I also don’t believe for a damn second they don’t have shafts sitting in their shelves where they’re assembled, they just don’t want to give them up because they’re already marked for production. 3 months is some serious bullshit, sounds like they just lost a good size customer and pissed on their new found good will over something as small as a shaft warranty.

Brute

Hooked
The Hellcat was awesome! It was too bad that Lonnie was running shitty china tires that wouldn't hook up if his life depended on it.

Just not the fenders...

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Oh yeah, those things were fugly :icon_crazy:

It didn’t take long for someone to drop another Hellcat into a Gladiator...I’m waiting for the first Hellaphant to get into one...I’m giving it some thought...hehe....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Don't get me wrong but, axle shafts and u-joints break. I mean, it's the whole reason why there are manufacturers who make aftermarket shafts and u-joints. For me personally, I've never been thrilled about the shafts that come on the UD60 especially being that the u-joints come with c-clips and it's a big part of why I've been looking for aftermarket shafts. Again, I'm no fan of RCV but even before hearing about your break, I started looking into them as a possible upgrade. Hell, even the standard shafts that come on Dynatrac axles aren't anything to write home about and members here on this forum have broken theirs. It's because of this that I always made sure to upgrade to competition shafts with CTM u-joints. My point being, it's just a u-joint, NOT the housing or anything else and if anything, I'd be using the opportunity to upgrade to something better. :yup:

It didn’t take long for someone to drop another Hellcat into a Gladiator...I’m waiting for the first Hellaphant to get into one...I’m giving it some thought...hehe....
Dooo eet!

Also, when you start talking about that much horsepower can the frame even handle that? I would imagine it would need extra bracing and some engineering to not just twist the thing. Not that it would be doing much drag racing, but...... skinny pedal 🤷🏻*♂️

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting turn of events. You would think with everyone that people know in this industry someone would be able to make a phone call to ‘the guy’ and have it taken care of instead of just the dude answering phones in a cubicle. Downside of middle man vendors and large factories I suppose. I also don’t believe for a damn second they don’t have shafts sitting in their shelves where they’re assembled, they just don’t want to give them up because they’re already marked for production. 3 months is some serious bullshit, sounds like they just lost a good size customer and pissed on their new found good will over something as small as a shaft warranty.

LOL - I have no skin in this other than to share what I have personally experienced with my UD60's and what I have seen on other rigs running them on the JL/JT Experience. I can't even begin to know what caused Bubba's break or why he can't get a part for 93 days but from what I've been told, it wouldn't be a problem for me. Because I seemed to have missed it, where did Bubba get his axle from? Was it directly from Dana or did he get it through another vendor?

Exodus 4x4

Don't get me wrong but, axle shafts and u-joints break. I mean, it's the whole reason why there are manufacturers who make aftermarket shafts and u-joints. For me personally, I've never been thrilled about the shafts that come on the UD60 especially being that the u-joints come with c-clips and it's a big part of why I've been looking for aftermarket shafts. Again, I'm no fan of RCV but even before hearing about your break, I started looking into them as a possible upgrade. Hell, even the standard shafts that come on Dynatrac axles aren't anything to write home about and members here on this forum have broken theirs. It's because of this that I always made sure to upgrade to competition shafts with CTM u-joints. My point being, it's just a u-joint, NOT the housing or anything else and if anything, I'd be using the opportunity to upgrade to something better. :yup:

Honestly I wasn’t pissed when it broke because that is pretty normal. It was only the lack of customer service that has been disappointing.

I did have a talk with RCV today because yeah, if we’re gonna change them we might as well make them stronger. I might end up going that route.

Brute

Hooked
Dooo eet!

Also, when you start talking about that much horsepower can the frame even handle that? I would imagine it would need extra bracing and some engineering to not just twist the thing. Not that it would be doing much drag racing, but...... skinny pedal 🤷🏻*♂️

Frame and crossmember...been there...

Exodus 4x4

Because I seemed to have missed it, where did Bubba get his axle from? Was it directly from Dana or did he get it through another vendor?
Premier which ultimately means NR. They tried to get traction with Spicer and no luck. I called Trans, ECGS, Quadratec, and just about anyone else that sells them with no luck.

Top Bottom