Building 4 link DIY

A.J.

Old school shit is often sketchy. Especially compared to new stuff. I’m just guessing but I think JJ’s have only been around 20years or so. From what I see these are some really old school builds. All motor sports have come a long way in that time. You wouldn’t believe what went down the drag strip in the late 60’s and 70’s at over 200mph. That’s not to say you should build it that way today but if it ain’t broke and it passes tech? Run that shit!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
IMG_2087.JPG

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Old school shit is often sketchy. Especially compared to new stuff. I’m just guessing but I think JJ’s have only been around 20years or so. From what I see these are some really old school builds. All motor sports have come a long way in that time. You wouldn’t believe what went down the drag strip in the late 60’s and 70’s at over 200mph. That’s not to say you should build it that way today but if it ain’t broke and it passes tech? Run that shit!

View attachment 357807

Lol, there isn't a person on this site that hasn't used some hillbilly engineering on something at one time or another. I still question the need to use a part in 2021 that is made for one specific application for another entirely different purpose altogether. ESPECIALLY when there are quality parts to specifically do the job they are intended for. Ok, 20 years ago JJ's didn't exist. They do now, so why continue to use the TRE's.

Again, no beef with any of these guys, but no one has answered the question as to WHY they continue to use them. What is the perceived benefit??? :idontknow:

run2jeepn

Caught the Bug
20yrs + ago we didn't have these nice JJ and hiem joints we do now. These TRE were used to solve a problem we had back then. That problem doesn't exist much today. Everything is easy to find online. Around here they used to build heavy 1 ton and rockwell rigs on 44s was normal for Crawling around Disney, Flat Nasty, Hot Springs etc... It worked back then. The Orange Jeep was built in 2006 and still used to this day on hard trails. He has never broke a link. Why change or try another joint? Should he change them if better joints are available now? Even though they have never broke?

I only started this thread and asked as anyone seen this? Not agrue about how its better then modern day hiem joints. Never once said that. Only the guys who flilped their keyboard warroir caps on backwards was making these statements.

Ps. I also deleted my post to the other website just a few min. After I posted it.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
20yrs + ago we didn't have these nice JJ and hiem joints we do now. These TRE were used to solve a problem we had back then. That problem doesn't exist much today. Everything is easy to find online. Around here they used to build heavy 1 ton and rockwell rigs on 44s was normal for Crawling around Disney, Flat Nasty, Hot Springs etc... It worked back then. The Orange Jeep was built in 2006 and still used to this day on hard trails. He has never broke a link. Why change or try another joint? Should he change them if better joints are available now? Even though they have never broke?

I only started this thread and asked as anyone seen this? Not agrue about how its better then modern day hiem joints. Never once said that. Only the guys who flilped their keyboard warroir caps on backwards was making these statements.

Ps. I also deleted my post to the other website just a few min. After I posted it.

Viola!

Rst8rox

Ok nobody here has seen it before clearly. I also understand the rigs built prior to “new age joints” had to. It still doesn’t explain why a rig built in 06 would? Hiems where most definitely around in the late 90s and ez to access them then. So once again why not use jj/heims instead of resorting back to TREs? Why continue to use them? When there are clearly better ways NOW/in 06. That’s all we are getting at.

You obviously are very partial to your TREs so.... Once again why do YOU/your buddies choose to keep using them?

Ps. As far as keyboard warriors go, I thought we were all going pretty Ez lol.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Looks to me like everyone has been pretty easy on you. A few questions, and a a few memes, but it’s the Internet. That’s what people do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

A.J.

It would be cool to mount a go pro somewhere you could watch the tre’s and how they move as the axles articulate and twist. Entertaining the theory of using them just for argument sake. The lower control arms at the axle side would be most concerning to me. Are they using them there also? Most likely spot to take a hit and pop the socket out.

I absolutely agree this is not how it should be done anymore. We have much better hardware now. Still interested to see how it may have worked. At the very least it makes an interesting thread for awhile. Thanks for sharing!

jdofmemi

It would be cool to mount a go pro somewhere you could watch the tre’s and how they move as the axles articulate and twist. Entertaining the theory of using them just for argument sake. The lower control arms at the axle side would be most concerning to me. Are they using them there also? Most likely spot to take a hit and pop the socket out.

I absolutely agree this is not how it should be done anymore. We have much better hardware now. Still interested to see how it may have worked. At the very least it makes an interesting thread for awhile. Thanks for sharing!

I agree it would be cool to watch how they work.

As for concern about popping one out of its socket, I would have none. Now that he has shown the size, they are the same thing as on my off road water trucks. I have seen the whole front end propped up off the ground on a rock, without popping one out, that's with a 60,000 Lb truck, and over 20,000 on the axle being held up by the time rod and said ends.

If it will do that year after year without fail, nothing you could do with it in a Jeep is going to be a problem.

Top Bottom