WJ on one tons and 37's

trplxj

Are the d ring tabs welded on the back side as well? It’s hard to tell on my phone but did you get adequate penetration on these front welds?

View attachment 333004

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

The D ring tabs are welded and bolted (in 5 places) to the center section of the bumper. And they are welded inside and out. That “outer” piece you can see in the picture is actually part of the section of the bumper that goes under the head light and fender. I welded it to the D ring mount. There’s good penetration in the welds. Anymore and I would have blown through. That one looks like shit though in the picture. It actually looks better in person.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The D ring tabs are welded and bolted (in 5 places) to the center section of the bumper. And they are welded inside and out. That “outer” piece you can see in the picture is actually part of the section of the bumper that goes under the head light and fender. I welded it to the D ring mount. There’s good penetration in the welds. Anymore and I would have blown through. That one looks like shit though in the picture. It actually looks better in person.

As long as it’s on there, all that matters. I did a diy rear bumper for my tj, much less complex then that and it does save a ton of money, not sure I’d do it again though haha.

trplxj

As long as it’s on there, all that matters. I did a diy rear bumper for my tj, much less complex then that and it does save a ton of money, not sure I’d do it again though haha.

Yeah, I don’t think they are going anywhere.

I was looking at the bumper yesterday and wondering if the savings in money to go the DIY route was worth it. Lol.

trplxj

I made some more progress on the Jeep last night. And I actually took two new pics. :clap2: I started cutting the rear rocker panels out for the new replacements that I have that tie into the rear bumper. I got about half of the rear bumper welded up and ground down nice and smooth. I need to cut away the rocker on the drivers side tonight and get the new panels welded in on both sides. I gotta get that done tonight. Then I can fit the bumper to the Jeep and tack weld the last coulple pieces in place. Time is running short. This thing has to be on the trailer headed to Jackpot Nevada Friday morning. Good thing I have Thursday off.

The two pics are of the drivers side uncut, and the passenger side all cut up. I still need to get a little bit of clean up on the passenger side before I weld in the new panels.

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Looking good! I've been in some of the Trail Forge products. They have some heavy duty control arms I love that front bumper. The rear bumper with tire carrier is pretty sweet as well. If I could ever sell my rig I'm really thinking about getting even an HK off-road tire carrier.

trplxj

Looking good! I've been in some of the Trail Forge products. They have some heavy duty control arms I love that front bumper. The rear bumper with tire carrier is pretty sweet as well. If I could ever sell my rig I'm really thinking about getting even an HK off-road tire carrier.

I’ve been extremely happy with the products and customer service from Trail Forged. I have nothing bad to say. I looked long and hard at the HK front bumper. I almost pulled the trigger on one. But with 37’s and pushing my axle forward as far as I did I felt like I would end up cutting up the bumper too much. Bash makes some really nice WJ parts. And he’s a hell of a guy too. I like the spare tire rack that he makes, but I don’t think it’s going to hold a 37 very well.

trplxj

I should really change my user name to slacker. Cause that's what I've been doing lately. I should be in Moab right now wheeling with a bunch of friends. But I had some issues with my tow rig, and I ran out of time to get the Jeep buttoned up enough to take it to Moab. I did get the rear bumper on a few weeks ago. But I was in a rush and didn't get all the weld berries cleaned off as well as I'd like. And I didn't have time to paint the quarter panel replacement pieces. I was under a time crunch to get it "done" to take it to a car show in Jackpot Nevada. I know, I know, it's a Jeep, not a show car. But hey, I won the 4x4 class. Pissed off a couple people that had some nice trailer queen 4x4's. ha ha. The car show was a good break, and I hadn't been to one in several years. I use to go all the time with family and friends.

The tow rig is in my shop right now getting some additional transmission cooling. Hopefully it will stop overheating and puking fluid all over. that should be done this weekend. Then back to the Jeep. I need to fix a couple things with the rear bumper, like removing all the weld berries like I mentioned. Then bump stops and limit straps, T case skid and install the rocker skids. Then I think It will be ready to trail test. I have a coworker who is pushing me to get it done so we can hit a local trail this fall before the snow flies.

IMG_2479.jpg
IMG_2486.jpg
IMG_2488.jpg
IMG_2491.jpg
IMG_2489.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 53

trplxj

Looking good. I like that rear bumper more and more.

The amount of clearance you gain with this bumper is insane. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it tonight from the rear. You can see the entire tire from behind the Jeep. It looks cook as hell. Sadly I need to fab up some mudflap mounts. No mudflaps on this thing will get me pulled over almost instantly here in Utah.

trplxj

Here’s another picture from directly behind the Jeep. You can see how much more clearance you get with this bumper. You can actually see the fuel tank again. And it’s tucked up as high as it can get without going through the floor and into the passenger compartment.

IMG_2529.jpg

Top Bottom