Motech LS Swap Gremlins

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I can’t speak to your issue but I am considering the LS route for my JKU in the future. I hope you get the overheating issue resolved quickly. You mentioned the 8L90. How much more is the Gen V with 8 speed over the Gen IV/6 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
I can’t speak to your issue but I am considering the LS route for my JKU in the future. I hope you get the overheating issue resolved quickly. You mentioned the 8L90. How much more is the Gen V with 8 speed over the Gen IV/6 speed?

I agree with SLO. While the LS is a big step up from the 3.8, you can tell driving around that the setup is from 10 years ago. I would spend the extra cash to get the LT and 8 speed. As far as I know the cost of the engine/trans is the only real difference.

Sent from my SM-P550 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

I agree with SLO. While the LS is a big step up from the 3.8, you can tell driving around that the setup is from 10 years ago. I would spend the extra cash to get the LT and 8 speed. As far as I know the cost of the engine/trans is the only real difference.

Yeah, it’s really not that much more relative to the total cost. Maybe $25K all in vs $22K all in (rough numbers). I regret not paying the extra. The hesitation for me was more because the LS was so much more tested at the time where the LT swaps were still new.

Exodus 4x4

The LT/L86 and 8 speed swaps are still a long ways from what I would consider a smooth, integrated swap. You’re better off not swapping it at all.

Exodus 4x4

Thanks Bubba! You just helped my buyers remorse. Maybe I just need more power. LS9 cams!!

Someday they’ll get there, but anyone that says those swaps are without their issues is full is shit. Even the Gen4 swaps still have some quirks, so why the hell would anyone expect the LT swaps to be any better? It’s not the engine platform, it’s the software in between communicating to the Jeep itself and most of the time, it’s the Jeep side that’s giving everything shit.

Oh and yes, cams and exhaust can make a LOT of difference when installed and programmed effectively.

Cheeseburger

What is this comment based on?

I just completed one and it had its hiccups, but i have mine pretty well sorted out at this point.

It’s a lot of work, and pretty involved but I think in the end it’s well worth it.

I haven’t driven a JK with the 6 speed to compare with, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the 6 or 8 speeds.

I’m guessing anyone that regrets the swap went with a 5.3.

Edit:
The chime is a 10 minute fix. Pull the cluster and remove the dinger.

The LT/L86 and 8 speed swaps are still a long ways from what I would consider a smooth, integrated swap. You’re better off not swapping it at all.

Exodus 4x4

What is this comment based on?

I just completed one and it had its hiccups, but i have mine pretty well sorted out at this point.

It’s a lot of work, and pretty involved but I think in the end it’s well worth it.

I haven’t driven a JK with the 6 speed to compare with, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the 6 or 8 speeds.

I’m guessing anyone that regrets the swap went with a 5.3.

Edit:
The chime is a 10 minute fix. Pull the cluster and remove the dinger.

The comment is based on a depth of experience in installing GM engines in JK’s, and knowing what a good swap looks like compared to a shit swap. For example, you just said the fix is to pull the cluster and remove the “dinger”. While I have had to do this before, I think it’s bullshit and hardly what I call a clean swap.

How long has your swap been completed? How many miles have you put on it? Have you driven it across the country without any issues?

Cheeseburger

As I said, I just completed mine. There’s maybe 1,000 miles on it. I will agree that it’s not refined and there are some quirks but I would classify them as minor. Anyone that thinks they can swap any engine into a car that it didn’t originally come in will be refined and completely trouble free has another thing coming. But I completely disagree with your statement of you’re better off not doing it.

I had difficulties with the install and preliminary tuning, running. But I now have a Jeep that’s a blast to drive, has tons of power and gives me the driving experience I’m looking for. If you can’t handle a swap because you have to remove the chime, then swaps aren’t for you and likely any modified vehicles are not for you.

Pulling the dinger is not an elegant solution, but should not be the deciding factor on weather or not you would do an ls/lt swap. If you can’t handle the thought of that, then absolutely stick with the 3.6.

I hope I don’t have any major issues, but so far it is working well.

The comment is based on a depth of experience in installing GM engines in JK’s, and knowing what a good swap looks like compared to a shit swap. For example, you just said the fix is to pull the cluster and remove the “dinger”. While I have had to do this before, I think it’s bullshit and hardly what I call a clean swap.

How long has your swap been completed? How many miles have you put on it? Have you driven it across the country without any issues?

uberc4

How long has the Gen V swap been out? The first video I saw on youtube was dated in 2016. You would think all the kinks have been worked out by now? Also, I saw RPM Extreme was starting to do Gen V swaps as well.

From my understand I can only go with Motech due to having the DTD. Is that correct?

USMC Wrangler

As I said, I just completed mine. There’s maybe 1,000 miles on it. I will agree that it’s not refined and there are some quirks but I would classify them as minor. Anyone that thinks they can swap any engine into a car that it didn’t originally come in will be refined and completely trouble free has another thing coming. But I completely disagree with your statement of you’re better off not doing it.

I had difficulties with the install and preliminary tuning, running. But I now have a Jeep that’s a blast to drive, has tons of power and gives me the driving experience I’m looking for. If you can’t handle a swap because you have to remove the chime, then swaps aren’t for you and likely any modified vehicles are not for you.

Pulling the dinger is not an elegant solution, but should not be the deciding factor on weather or not you would do an ls/lt swap. If you can’t handle the thought of that, then absolutely stick with the 3.6.

Can you tell me more about your swap? You definitely sound smarter than Exodus Jeeps. I doubt Exodus Jeeps has even done a single engine swap like you have. Thanks!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Sorry cheeseburger not in paradise, but I disagree with you.

Pulling chimes, cutting pedals to install secondary pedals, using blocks to hold pedal levers in position to avoid more errors...all of that shit is a no go for me if I’m spending $20k +/- for a swap.

If all I wanted was power I’d just yank out all of the Jeep guts and install something completely standalone.

For the kind of money involved, I expect some level of refinement or I’d just build a buggy.

RCVRY

Keep your dinger in your pants. You’re embarrassing yourself new guy.

How about a greeting so we know who you are? Whether your opinions are warranted?

Otherwise suck a bag of dingers. I’d imagine you could use Bubbas help to refine your swap.

Exodus 4x4

Pulling chimes, cutting pedals to install secondary pedals, using blocks to hold pedal levers in position to avoid more errors...all of that shit is a no go for me if I’m spending $20k +/- for a swap.

If all I wanted was power I’d just yank out all of the Jeep guts and install something completely standalone.

For the kind of money involved, I expect some level of refinement or I’d just build a buggy.

Correct, lol.

Agreed.

No fucken way my ocd would allow it.

Exodus 4x4

1,000 miles? I’d drive it a bit more before you start claiming it’s that great of a swap. I’m sure it’ll work out great for you though.

Top Bottom