S#!T's About to Get REAL for JET - EVO JL Wrangler Long Arms & Coilovers

Benito

Caught the Bug
Ha ha. Guess that sort of answers the question. I went through this same dilemma with my JK between COs and Bypass.

He is referring to shocks with a bypass tube for the fluid to travel back and forth to better keep it cool. Reducing shock fade. Basically those shocks you see that have an extra cylinder on them or attached to them

I may be wrong but are both of you talking about a remote reservoir shock?

Ben, you’re describing a remote res shock. Although having more fluid does keep it cooler and in return reduces shock fade because of more fluid the primary reason for having a res is to have two separate chambers for air and oil. When the shock is compressed and the shaft enters the cylinder the oil that is in the cylinder needs to be displaced since the oil does not compress, the oil from the shock moves to the res and the air in the res compresses. vs an emulsion shock that has air and oil mixed together in the cylinder.

A bypass shock does have a reservoir for the same reason but it also has bypass tubes that allow oil to flow through the bypass tube, bypassing the piston (and shims) in the shock allowing you to tune the compression and rebound rate throughout the stroke of the shock depending on how many tubes and the orientation of the tube.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Ben, you’re describing a remote res shock. Although having more fluid does keep it cooler and in return reduces shock fade because of more fluid the primary reason for having a res is to have two separate chambers for air and oil. When the shock is compressed and the shaft enters the cylinder the oil that is in the cylinder needs to be displaced since the oil does not compress, the oil from the shock moves to the res and the air in the res compresses. vs an emulsion shock that has air and oil mixed together in the cylinder.

A bypass shock does have a reservoir for the same reason but it also has bypass tubes that allow oil to flow through the bypass tube, bypassing the piston (and shims) in the shock allowing you to tune the compression and rebound rate throughout the stroke of the shock depending on how many tubes and the orientation of the tube.

Just started catching up on things and this ^^^^^ is correct.

Abntroop

Thank you for taking the time to share that. Didn’t realize the tuneable ones were different. Hadn’t gotten to a point where I’d given it much thought or research as I’ve always run monotubes. Always learning! [emoji1303]

Typed on my iPhone with my Jimmy Dean sausage fingers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for taking the time to share that. Didn’t realize the tuneable ones were different. Hadn’t gotten to a point where I’d given it much thought or research as I’ve always run monotubes. Always learning! [emoji1303]

What you see in the lower half of this photo is a bypass shock.

20170211200105-a216f161.jpg

Abntroop

S#!T's About to Get REAL for JET - EVO JL Wrangler Long Arms & Coilovers

What’s the deal with these six pack shocks metal cloak has? Remember seeing some guy on YouTube running them but haven’t seen or heard a reference about them since. They look like a pair of shocks going in either direction with an integrated remote reservoir for each pair?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s the first time I have ever seen one of those. Are they common? The upper is a remote reservoir then correct?

What you see in the upper half of the pic is a coilover and without the coil on it but yes, that would essentially be what a basic reservoir shock would look like. Bypass shocks are common on desert race trucks but not so much on Jeeps.

What’s the deal with these six pack shocks metal cloak has? Remember seeing some guy on YouTube running them but haven’t seen or heard a reference about them since. They look like a pair of shocks going in either direction with an integrated remote reservoir for each pair?

Sixpak shocks are just what you're seeing - 2 shocks end on end and in a pretty package. The idea is that they'll give you more travel but ultimately, they're just gimmicky, have all kinds of problems with leaking and for the money, you'd be better off getting a set of coilovers.

Abntroop

What you see in the upper half of the pic is a coilover and without the coil on it but yes, that would essentially be what a basic reservoir shock would look like. Bypass shocks are common on desert race trucks but not so much on Jeeps.

Sixpak shocks are just what you're seeing - 2 shocks end on end and in a pretty package. The idea is that they'll give you more travel but ultimately, they're just gimmicky, have all kinds of problems with leaking and for the money, you'd be better off getting a set of coilovers.

Right on, good to know, thank you! [emoji1303]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You gonna have room to go back the 13.5 coopers with 3.5 BS? I’ve got wheels with 4.5 BS and wondering if I’m gonna have to consider new wheels or adding wheel spacers. Mine aren’t beadlocks.

Did King improve the clicky pops with their new coilovers? I’m still also keeping the bypass 2.5s an option. Might need to go talk it through with Mel.

Sorry I missed this the first time around. Right off the bat, our coilovers were pretty noisy but they always are. After bombing across the desert on our way home, they're pretty quite now.

Regarding tires, with 3.5" of back spacing, 13.50's would probably work. We just got a set of wheel spacers to help things along.

Driving sans top and doors it sounds as if there's a bunch of angry crabs following me. 🦀🦀🦀 Lol.

:cheesy:

benatc1

Hooked

Ah yes yes, I was referring to remote reservoirs, not bypass. I assume that's what jags meant and got the 2 confused. Thanks for the correction!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom