LoD Offroad Bike Rack

dougnuts

I have nothing to do with any of these companies. Nice stretch.
I am learning a lot about this group though. You all seem to fit the stereotype of this forum nicely.
Someone said they'd pay to see a brand of rack off roading. A 3 second YouTube search provided the answer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Lol. A road with dirt and some speed bump sized rocks is hardly off roading. The trailhead is typically where Jeepers start driving, not set up camp.

dougnuts

I agree it's not hard offroading. You don't go wheeling and bring a bike very often and if you do, plan accordingly.

This is applicable to this forum as far as the OP put it here.

Do you want a rack that can safely carry a bike or not? If you don't care, why are you on this thread? If you do care, I've offered reasons as to why the OPs rack is a very bad idea.

dougnuts

You mean love for Jeeps? Well done, Sherlock. Sorry we don't fit your hipster blogger Subaru lifestyle.
I own a nice rock crawling Jeep, thanks. I'm also probably older than you are and a retired vet so the whole hipster thing is funny.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is what came up in a Google search. I came here to see and left a post. I've forgotten more about bike racks than the OP will ever know. Trying to save someone the coin of buying this shit.

That’s cool. Wait until you have sex for the first time. It’s a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I own a nice rock crawling Jeep, thanks. I'm also probably older than you are and a retired vet so the whole hipster thing is funny.

Great, sounds like you have plenty of time to Learn how to troll. You suck at it.

I am learning a lot about this group though. You all seem to fit the stereotype of this forum nicely.

It’s like I’m sitting here playing cards with my brothers kids.

Happened across this forum via google yet knows the stereotype of this forum. Right...

Last edited:

74CJ5

I have a Thule hitch mount rack that has a strap around the rear wheel and an arm that clamps down on the front tire by the fork. Nothing touches the frame and as you can see my top tube isn’t really a way to transport my bike. The rack itself holds the bike in place and the bike never moves. The rack, however, will move with the toughness of the trail. Really only downside is how far it sticks out. It’s up plenty high, but I have a hitch extension for it to clear the spare so it definitely hangs out there which limits the degree of difficulty that this would be good for. That being said I usually take this to the trail head and do all the sketchy stuff on my bike anyhow. IMG_1152.jpg IMG_1141.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I have a Thule hitch mount rack that has a strap around the rear wheel and an arm that clamps down on the front tire by the fork. Nothing touches the frame and as you can see my top tube isn’t really a way to transport my bike. The rack itself holds the bike in place and the bike never moves. The rack, however, will move with the toughness of the trail. Really only downside is how far it sticks out. It’s up plenty high, but I have a hitch extension for it to clear the spare so it definitely hangs out there which limits the degree of difficulty that this would be good for. That being said I usually take this to the trail head and do all the sketchy stuff on my bike anyhow. View attachment 315023 View attachment 315024

Holy crap, that is hanging way out there, but like you mentioned, still good to get you to 95% of the trailheads out there.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Congratulations on being a retired veterinarian! I’m not sure why that would be worth mentioning or used in a way to excuse your obvious disrespect for the forum and supporting vendor?

I have had a cheap top tube bike rack for a decade and have yet to experience any damage on my mountain or road bikes. A simple bungee cord negates any swing that might occur.

If your bikes are that fragile then maybe it’s time for an upgrade?

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’d rather take a bike rack that is attached to my tailgate and some bikes that can get beat up than a bike rack that comes out of the hitch that limits me getting into the back and fragile bikes [emoji23]

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Congratulations on being a retired veterinarian! I’m not sure why that would be worth mentioning or used in a way to excuse your obvious disrespect for the forum and supporting vendor?

I have had a cheap top tube bike rack for a decade and have yet to experience any damage on my mountain or road bikes. A simple bungee cord negates any swing that might occur.

If your bikes are that fragile then maybe it’s time for an upgrade?

Bravo
https://media.giphy.com/media/cTw8V1RMKo3Bu/source.gif

trplxj

As a mountain biker and a Jeeper I can see both sides of this post.

It’s great that the rack attaches to the bumper swingout. I couldn’t put my Santa Cruz on that rack due to the old shape of the upper tube. And I wouldn’t want it swinging all over the place while on the trail. And I don’t think a bungee cord is going to hold it for very long. I think that it’s great the way it attaches to the Jeep, but it needs some refinement on how it secures the bikes.

A rack like a Kuatt is a much better option to safely secure the bike without causing any damage to the bike. But would be a horrible idea to use it off road. The first big ledge you drop off of it will get destroyed. I don’t want to destroy a $600.00 bike rack and a 3K bike. My bike is middle of the road good mountain bike and it was still just shy of 3K.

What I’m getting at is that rack I would never use as it is, second I wouldn’t use a hitch mount rack on the trail either. When I’m Jeeping I’m Jeeping when I’m mountain biking I’m mountain biking. I don’t combine the two. Any biking trail head that I want to get to where I live I can get there in my car. That may not be the case for the next guy. But it is for me. Image1543159259.252483.jpg

Top Bottom