2011 JK MPG Creeping Down

My 2011 JKU just turned over 80,000 miles and she is starting to use more fuel than normal. It has been slowing getting worse over the last 5,000 or 10,000 miles. Previously, I would normally average around 16.2 or so driving on reasonably flat ground. It has been ratcheting down and now on the last trip she was indicating 14.2. I'm wondering if I need to get the injectors cleaned, try new plugs earlier than recommended or ???. I'd appreciate your thoughts and recommendations. She has a RockKrawler 2.5 lift running 35's. The setup hasn't changed but the MPG is going down. I'm getting ready for a trip from Tucson up to Leadville to play in CO so any efficiency gains would really help.

Cheers,
Steve

WJCO

Meme King
You could change the fuel filter and clean injectors but at the end of the day it's still a Jeep. If you're loaded up with gear and heading up the mountains to Leadville, you'll likely see around 11-12 mpg. Just the way it is. I will say a clean air filter and a slightly higher tire pressure may help, but not a ton.

TRLJNKY

Imo plugs at 80k wouldnt be a bad idea. What shape is your airfilter in? My 07 has 160k and is well maintained but still I run 12-13 city and 15-16 hwy with 35's. Not much help with your concern but wanted you to know its right around where I run.

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

Thanks Guys, I understand "It's still a Jeep" I wouldn't have it any other way ;-) I usually change the air filter every time I change the oil, The trails around here are normally dry and dusty. Come to think of it, I may have been adding more weight than I think; the new rear deck, the new rear tailgate hinge, tool box etc. Easy for the "stuff" to start adding up. I'm running 36 psi on the BFG Mud Terrains on the highway, that seem reasonable? I'll for sure check the air filter.

Cheers,
Steve

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks Guys, I understand "It's still a Jeep" I wouldn't have it any other way ;-) I usually change the air filter every time I change the oil, The trails around here are normally dry and dusty. Come to think of it, I may have been adding more weight than I think; the new rear deck, the new rear tailgate hinge, tool box etc. Easy for the "stuff" to start adding up. I'm running 36 psi on the BFG Mud Terrains on the highway, that seem reasonable? I'll for sure check the air filter.

Cheers,
Steve

36 is actually pretty good to maintain good mpg. Temps there may be hotter, so keep an eye on the pressure. Weight kills. Our WJ has a v8 and 33s but geared accordingly, but when we're in the mountains with a full family of 5 and tools and gear, mpg sucks ass, just the way it is.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I also have a 2011 and I average 13.9-14.2. I added new plugs but never cleaned the injectors aside from using B12. I didn't notice any change in MPG. I'm sitting at 90k miles. I used to get around 16 also but I've also added a lot of weight. Just sharing my experience, hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I also have a 2011 and I average 13.9-14.2. I added new plugs but never cleaned the injectors aside from using B12. I didn't notice any change in MPG. I'm sitting at 90k miles. I used to get around 16 also but I've also added a lot of weight. Just sharing my experience, hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, it helps to know I'm not completely out of bed.

madstiles

Check for cracked manifolds. My mileage went down to 12 no codes or check engine light. Repaired manifolds now runs better more power and mileage is 14-16.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom