Trail essentials- What tools to Carry Offroad

CJW

Zip ties. Most of the guys I wheel with are mechanics and trailer their rigs with enough tools to rebuild a jeep in the parking area if need be. But they always forget zip ties. Which makes me somewhat useful. Being that my slowly growing set of tools is laughable compared to theirs.

I have to second this! I've used zip ties more than anything else when wheeling.....and not on my jeep.

CJW

The Run Supply List - What To Bring When You're Out On The Trail

I like to bring a small hatchet or axe and a small shovel too. Incase of a downed tree; although a winch will pull it out of the way usually.

Too much?-How much trail gear do you bring?

I hate being "that guy" that has way too much stuff on the trail. What do you bring on those long treks on the trails? I know space and weight is a premium, but I want to have what I need incase. PLEASE chime in as I am always learning.

I know the first thing is recovery gear. Eddie has a great post on that and I think I have that covered. IMG_3120.jpg
Snatch block, gloves, tree strap, D-rings, small piece of chain, winch controller, cover for the winch cable, tow strap. This is all in a bag under the back seat, easy to get to.

I made a tubing support and bolted it to the floor and sides with a simple wood top on it. I cut the wood to fit and put my mat on top with a few eye bolts for tie down support for what was on top incase of a rollover or flop. Got to keep the cargo from killing us inside:cheesy:.
IMG_3096.jpg

I had a few bestop bags and put them to use. But first I took my old axle shafts and wrapped them in bubble wrap so they wouldn't rattle and put those in. I kept the flanges and bearings on just incase. I put in a new belt and some extra hoses from my PSC install. Axe, shovel, bow saw were next. I made room for some welding rods too.
IMG_3117.jpg
IMG_3119.jpg

I have a few bolts and nuts from all my installs.
IMG_3116.jpg

I have a charger for my batteries and (missing in the photo) a sawz-all and blades.
IMG_3114.jpg

Grinder with cut off wheels, grinder wheels, a few batteries (missing in the photo) and a 1/2" impact wrench.
IMG_3111.jpg

Jumper cables, rope, tarp snatch blocks, drinking purifier, fire starter and some rags.
IMG_3107.jpg

Extra wire, wire connectors, test light, hose clamps, duct tape, zip ties, safety glasses, wire brushes, dark glasses, cotter pins, straps.
IMG_3103.jpg

Those go in from the back in their bags first then the next line of bags.
IMG_3105.jpg

12 ton bottle jack, puller, RCV tool, a few boards for the jack.
IMG_3113.jpg

Last edited:
Hand tools sorted in their own bags (couldn't get them in the hand tools bag).
IMG_3109.jpg

The rest of the hand tools. Any specialty tool that I have used on the jeep is in there too.
IMG_3098.jpg

A separate bag for sockets and socket wrenches. I've even got a 33mm (sector shaft nut), 35mm and 36mm (nuts on front axle shaft-depends on models). I also have a pretty good magnet that reaches into the axle housing that could retrieve the broken part of a shaft.
IMG_3099.jpg

Then my airing up bag.
IMG_3101.jpg

In the cubby where the old jack was I have a couple tire irons, tire patch kit with plugs, new valve stems and a tool to replace them with. A pipe wrench, a cheater bar, a 33mm wrench(sector shaft again) and some pry bars and pry picks (goes in holes to realign for bolts). Ive got moving blanket, TP, 1/2" torque wrench, extra couple bags of food and a couple other goodies in the storage compartment.

Last edited:
Then up on top I have a bag full of liquids. Oil, filter, diff oil, break fluid, small pump for Transfer case oil, coolant, PS fluid, Tranny fluid, bucket, tarp, spill kit, collection jug to haul old liquid out, a bunch of sealants, red and blue lock-tight and a few other things. Those are all in a H2O bag and strapped down to the tie down points with a cover to hold it all in incase of the flop or roll over. IMG_3122.jpg
IMG_3123.jpg
IMG_3125.jpg

I have a spot for the cooler and food too. I can fit camping gear in and around all of it too. Of course I have two spots for fire extinguishers as well. I have a hi-lift bolted to the roll bar in the back but I am thinking of taking that out. Water always goes with us an is accessible due to the black lab that goes too. I don't have them in yet but U-joints for 1310 front and 1350 rear (X2 each along with extra u bolts) as well. I have thought about an extra sector shaft and SOMEDAY IF I get called to go on a JKX maybe drive shafts?

All of that is a lot of SHizzzzzz. Do any of you cary that much?

Peak

I don't think there is a such thing as to much gear. It's better to be safe than sorry! So far I've only got a small tool box with some basic tools, d rings, chain, winch controller, hi lift Jack, fire extinguisher, fuel, and a first aid kit.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428291574.810396.jpg
You have a good list here. I like the idea of carrying all of those liquids. I'm going to base the gear I carry off of this list, thanks!

Rccrwlr

I hate being "that guy" that has way too much stuff on the trail. What do you bring on those long treks on the trails? I know space and weight is a premium, but I want to have what I need incase. PLEASE chime in as I am always learning.

I know the first thing is recovery gear. Eddie has a great post on that and I think I have that covered. View attachment 135490
Snatch block, gloves, tree strap, D-rings, small piece of chain, winch controller, cover for the winch cable, tow strap. This is all in a bag under the back seat, easy to get to.

I made a tubing support and bolted it to the floor and sides with a simple wood top on it. I cut the wood to fit and put my mat on top with a few eye bolts for tie down support for what was on top incase of a rollover or flop. Got to keep the cargo from killing us inside:cheesy:.
View attachment 135492

I had a few bestop bags and put them to use. But first I took my old axle shafts and wrapped them in bubble wrap so they wouldn't rattle and put those in. I kept the flanges and bearings on just incase. I put in a new belt and some extra hoses from my PSC install. Axe, shovel, bow saw were next. I made room for some welding rods too.
View attachment 135494
View attachment 135495

I have a few bolts and nuts from all my installs.
View attachment 135496

First thing I pack is your phone number and then I'm good from the looks of it!

BDP849

Then up on top I have a bag full of liquids. Oil, filter, diff oil, break fluid, small pump for Transfer case oil, coolant, PS fluid, Tranny fluid, bucket, tarp, spill kit, collection jug to haul old liquid out, a bunch of sealants, red and blue lock-tight and a few other things. Those are all in a H2O bag and strapped down to the tie down points with a cover to hold it all in incase of the flop or roll over. View attachment 135513
View attachment 135514
View attachment 135515

I have a spot for the cooler and food too. I can fit camping gear in and around all of it too. Of course I have two spots for fire extinguishers as well. I have a hi-lift bolted to the roll bar in the back but I am thinking of taking that out. Water always goes with us an is accessible due to the black lab that goes too. I don't have them in yet but U-joints for 1310 front and 1350 rear (X2 each along with extra u bolts) as well. I have thought about an extra sector shaft and SOMEDAY IF I get called to go on a JKX maybe drive shafts?

All of that is a lot of SHizzzzzz. Do any of you cary that much?

Damn dude, you have more gear in your jeep then I do in my garage😄.

Let's go wheeling I will bring the food.

No matter how much you pack you will need the one thing you don't have :crazyeyes:

Every time we are out I have think of another thing to pack.....

hbkid22

No joke...I need to make sure I go wheeling where ever you go (AspenKid)....I have nothing compared to you. :doh:

Time to reevaluate...

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Wow that's amazing like I've said before if it's worth doing its worth overdoing
thanks for sharing definitely a guide to trail gear needed 😀

Top Bottom