Back Up Camera (PAC BCI-CH21 w/ Raxiom)

WJCO

Meme King
I am using the 12v outlet on the center panel next to the hazard lights. I should mention that when I turn the key off, and before I open to the door and the radio shuts off, this is the only time the camera shuts off and gives me control again of the radio. But once the key is in the ignition the camera comes right on and stays on.
On that 12v outlet I spliced the red (power) to the blue and purple and the black (negative) to the black and white wire. That is the only wiring I did myself, everything else "should be" plug and play with the wire harnesses.
I have a 2017 Unlimited Rubicon with a manual trans, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

It sounds like when your key is on, that circuit is energized as it should be. I would think the way to fix it would be to leave the ground wire as is, and then run the red power wire to the same power wire that illuminates your reverse lights. This should cause the camera to come on ONLY when you're in reverse. I'm not familiar with this exact camera, but I've installed others and that's how they usually work in my experience.

scottcj06

It sounds like when your key is on, that circuit is energized as it should be. I would think the way to fix it would be to leave the ground wire as is, and then run the red power wire to the same power wire that illuminates your reverse lights. This should cause the camera to come on ONLY when you're in reverse. I'm not familiar with this exact camera, but I've installed others and that's how they usually work in my experience.

I appreciate all your help with this.
My last question because I am not that great with electrical work. Do I need to make sure I get the same size gauge wire? The only way to get that power wire to the rear of the jeep is to get more wire and extend it back there, I just want to make sure I get the right wire.
Also, should I splice it into the power wire to the reverse lights on the right or left taillights? Does that matter?

WJCO

Meme King
I appreciate all your help with this.
My last question because I am not that great with electrical work. Do I need to make sure I get the same size gauge wire? The only way to get that power wire to the rear of the jeep is to get more wire and extend it back there, I just want to make sure I get the right wire.
Also, should I splice it into the power wire to the reverse lights on the right or left taillights? Does that matter?

I would try to find what is there inside the console that powers the reverse circuit. There should be something closer in that area, rather than going to the back of the Jeep. If you do have to use the power at rear of Jeep, you should definitely get the correct gauge wire (even 2 gauge thicker than what's there is a good idea for that length) and it doesn't matter which side you tap into.

scottcj06

I would try to find what is there inside the console that powers the reverse circuit. There should be something closer in that area, rather than going to the back of the Jeep. If you do have to use the power at rear of Jeep, you should definitely get the correct gauge wire (even 2 gauge thicker than what's there is a good idea for that length) and it doesn't matter which side you tap into.

When you say "find what is there inside the console that powers the reverse circuit" do you mean in the wire harness the backup camera came with or my center console itself?

scottcj06

I would think he means inside your console.

If I wire it into the reverse circuit, then wouldn't it only allow me to have backup camera on only when in reverse? It's not a big deal but I did like the option of being able to turn this on at anytime while driving.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
If I wire it into the reverse circuit, then wouldn't it only allow me to have backup camera on only when in reverse? It's not a big deal but I did like the option of being able to turn this on at anytime while driving.
Yes that's exactly what it means.

scottcj06

You may be able to keep it where it is and just run an inline switch. But I'm not sure 100%. Maybe someone with more electrical fancy could confirm.

I did read in another forum that a guy wired it into his heated seats switch. I would prefer that it just switch on when I put it into reverse rather than having to hit that every time I want it on.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not 100% sure how the circuit works, but somewhere around your shifter should be a switch that sends power to reverse light when shifter is in reverse. It could even be a neutral safety switch on the side of transmission.

So I found this diagram online, but I don't know if it's accurate. It says the reverse signal wire will come out of a switch on left side of transmission, same on AT or MT. It's a white wire with a green stripe. If this is accurate, you may be able to run the wire right below your center console and be done with it. Obviously with a test light and putting vehicle in reverse, you can find out if this is the correct wire.

IMG_20171114_162008_768.jpg

EDIT: Looks like the above diagram is for a TJ. I did find a couple other installs that said the wire is purple with a gray stripe :idontknow:

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I did read in another forum that a guy wired it into his heated seats switch. I would prefer that it just switch on when I put it into reverse rather than having to hit that every time I want it on.

Pull the passenger tail light out and splice in the power to a ‘white/grey’ wire for power when you put your Jeep in reverse.
While this doesn’t apply to and so you know I am not making this up. Here is a wiring diagram form my maestro module for wrangler 07-16 but probably same color wire for 17.
IMG_6026.jpg
In my case this lets the radio know to switch the screen to the camera view when I shift into reverse. In your case it should power up your camera. I have camera wired into the power/lighter outlet in the cargo area. I believe that one is constantly on, it didn’t cause me any problems in last 3 years so I am just leaving it be. I can use my camera anytime while driving, it’s actually pretty useful when wheeling in the woods.
If you need to extend your wiring, bring your stuff to Rdioshack or such and just get some speaker wire that is the same gauge as your wiring.

What kind of camera and head unit do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

scottcj06

I'm not 100% sure how the circuit works, but somewhere around your shifter should be a switch that sends power to reverse light when shifter is in reverse. It could even be a neutral safety switch on the side of transmission.

So I found this diagram online, but I don't know if it's accurate. It says the reverse signal wire will come out of a switch on left side of transmission, same on AT or MT. It's a white wire with a green stripe. If this is accurate, you may be able to run the wire right below your center console and be done with it. Obviously with a test light and putting vehicle in reverse, you can find out if this is the correct wire.

View attachment 283154

EDIT: Looks like the above diagram is for a TJ. I did find a couple other installs that said the wire is purple with a gray stripe :idontknow:

Thank you for this, very helpful!!
Very much appreciated.

scottcj06

Pull the passenger tail light out and splice in the power to a ‘white/grey’ wire for power when you put your Jeep in reverse.
While this doesn’t apply to and so you know I am not making this up. Here is a wiring diagram form my maestro module for wrangler 07-16 but probably same color wire for 17.
View attachment 283158
In my case this lets the radio know to switch the screen to the camera view when I shift into reverse. In your case it should power up your camera. I have camera wired into the power/lighter outlet in the cargo area. I believe that one is constantly on, it didn’t cause me any problems in last 3 years so I am just leaving it be. I can use my camera anytime while driving, it’s actually pretty useful when wheeling in the woods.
If you need to extend your wiring, bring your stuff to Rdioshack or such and just get some speaker wire that is the same gauge as your wiring.

What kind of camera and head unit do you have?

2017-11-14 19_14_30-Raxiom Wrangler Factory GPS Rear Back-up Camera Kit J103947 (07-17 Wrangler .png
Raxiom Factory GPS Rear Back-up Camera Kit (07-18 Wrangler JK)
This is the kit that I bought.
Thank you for this. It gives me more options now.

Frydaddy

Can confirm, White/grey wire, from connector C200, Pin 3. That is the reverse signal wire. Cameras are usually a low load, so I would assume about 18-22 gauge wire would be sufficient. I do not know what size this White/Grey wire is.
Reverse.jpg
Reverse Outlet.png

JAGS

Hooked

The ONLY way to do that is to run a power line to the reverse light line. Run a wire to the reverse wire that is rated for whatever the power consumption is for the cam. My guess is 14-16 gage would be plenty. I don't think cams pull that much juice.

But you mentioned being able to run the cam when not in reverse. That would require a "hot" wire that you'd be able to switch on.

You might be able to run a "home equivalent" of a two way power that the reverse power feeds automatically as well as your current wiring that would be on a switch. Hope that makes sense. That's the best I can do for you.

The ONLY way to do that is to run a power line to the reverse light line. Run a wire to the reverse wire that is rated for whatever the power consumption is for the cam. My guess is 14-16 gage would be plenty. I don't think cams pull that much juice.

But you mentioned being able to run the cam when not in reverse. That would require a "hot" wire that you'd be able to switch on.

You might be able to run a "home equivalent" of a two way power that the reverse power feeds automatically as well as your current wiring that would be on a switch. Hope that makes sense. That's the best I can do for you.

You won’t need 14 GA and don’t forget to add a resistor!

scottcj06

IMG_1562.jpg

So here’s a question. If I wire the power and ground into this switch, because this get activated when I hit it. Will that do the job or do you think I’ll still have the same issue where the camera won’t turn off?

Top Bottom