Rock Hard Skids - Poor Design!

bhaner

:cheesy: Seriously? Sure they can make a set of skids that won't show a dent. But the damn things would weigh hundreds of pounds. Hardly an apt comparison.

I am good with that. It already weighs 6600#... If it was 7k and they wouldn't dent I would be happy as shit!

Heck I would have paid double! Guess there could be a market for it!

Last edited:

A.J.

Unfortunately I think your going to be disappointed with pretty much every skid plate option there is. I bent mine just goofing around last weekend flex testing. It didn't feel like a hard hit at all but I bent the oil pan trans skid enough to split the seem on the passenger side where it angles in. I just got a big ass pry bar a hammer and bent it back enough to weld up the split. I think the bending soaked up the hit so I too was surprised how much it was bent. It's just part of the game. Wait until it touches the exhaust and rattles. It will drive you nuts!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

bhaner

Unfortunately I think your going to be disappointed with pretty much every skid plate option there is. I bent mine just goofing around last weekend flex testing. It didn't feel like a hard hit at all but I bent the oil pan trans skid enough to split the seem on the passenger side where it angles in. I just got a big ass pry bar a hammer and bent it back enough to weld up the split. I think the bending soaked up the hit so I too was surprised how much it was bent. It's just part of the game. Wait until it touches the exhaust and rattles. It will drive you nuts!

Yup. Kinda where I am at. It is what it is.

Stay tuned for pics of an AR-500 skid plate that looks kinda like a hard rock. :clap2:

bhaner

I just noticed that this was posted directly in the Rock Hard 4x4 subforum.

Seems like a case of “I didn’t get what i want so now I’m going to brand bash”

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I feel I need to touch on this a little... Not once did I ask for a refund or free replacement product.

Only thing I asked for was for them to "do better".

Design change... Metal change... Product update... New HD Extreme version that costs double. Whatever. I am even willing to help if I can.

I think that would benefit us all in the end. One less thing to worry about at the end of the trail.

Last edited:

A.J.

Yup. Kinda where I am at. It is what it is.

Stay tuned for pics of an AR-500 skid plate that looks kinda like a hard rock. :clap2:

Just curious how much did you have to modify yours to clear the bigger pinion area on the d60 front? I had to move the driver side bracket as far back as I could then drill a new hole, re drill the crossmember holes to shift the entire skid to the passenger side almost an inch and cut the driver corner off to clear the webbing on the d60.

bhaner

Just curious how much did you have to modify yours to clear the bigger pinion area on the d60 front? I had to move the driver side bracket as far back as I could then drill a new hole, re drill the crossmember holes to shift the entire skid to the passenger side almost an inch and cut the driver corner off to clear the webbing on the d60.

I had to do close to the same. I ended up cutting off about 1.5" on the drivers side and welding the vertical bend back on to clear the driveline.

bhaner

Here is what it looked like when reinstalled.

Attachments

• 59195.jpg
    59195.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 161

WJCO

Meme King
I didn't realize that skid plates weren't meant to hit rocks. Learn something new every day.

Top Bottom