IT'S HERE : Jeep JK BIG Bore XD Steerng Gear Box - NOW SHIPPING

Jkjon

Where did u find the 3/8" 300psi hoses? U didn't buy the $85 psc one did u? Assuming I could go to a tractor supply and find some. Anything else besides the box and the 46mm socket to make this install easy?

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ordered it by the foot from somewhere online but can’t recall where - I went with contitech insta-grip 300 (similar if not the same as what psc supplies)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkjon

What!? Mine didn't come with that little elbow on the downward pressure line... Sure as hell would have made my install a lot easier. :idontknow:

Hey I’m getting ready to install a ram does the port with the elbow go to the passenger side of the ram (assuming it is mounted like the photo)

Did you use two straight fittings coming from the box? What did you go with on the ram side?

Thanks!

IMG_6714.jpg

You don't need to replace anything else than this part. Hardest part is getting pitman arm off- and you will need a second person to line up the holes when mounting the box to the frame. I could not hold it in place and line up the bolts... but an extra set of hands did it fine. I used no special tools.... no power tools... so I would say it is a pretty easy part swap.
Alright well I finally got around to it and got the BIG Bore XDII-R all mounted up. Took my time today took half a day or so. Most of the time for me was trying to figure out how to get the top right bolt out behind the spring. I Didnt have a long enough of extender so had to run out and grab those since I'm at my parents for the holidays. But over all the hardest thing was the dam pitman arm yet again. I did the two hammer method for quite a while then just ripped the whole thing out still attached to the drag link, and still mounted to the passenger side, so that's possible too haha. You just have to disconnect the track bar which u should be doing either way. I did it this way so that I could actually hit the pitman in the right direction of the way I wanted it to come off the taper. 20171227_115048.jpg 20171227_115756.jpg 20171227_115053.jpg
Here's how I got it up there and just kinda used the ratchet, more so tied it to the front bumper. If I did it again I'd position the black hook on the non bolting side of the box so it can get free easier when u start setting bolts. I just used a screwdriver to find the bottom right hole on the box as it was the more accessiable and goes all the way through to help me set my first bolt. Two people would defently be easier.

Only one problem from the install and I read it somewhere but I guess I let it slip my mind or just was careless. The clock spring has been damage somehow and it's usually from too much movement in the steering wheel when u unattach from stock box. I actually was pretty careful about not moving the shaft but obviousally not enough. I noticed it right when I finished the install and drove it in a circle i kept hearing a scratching noise when I would turn in my steering wheel. Not a click or a snap, but like plastic rubbing. So I threw it back on the lift to turn the wheels and look around. Found this after a while: 20171227_152919.jpg For now I got it all tucked back in there kinda neat so it dosent rip but just be careful I guess I don't really know what else to say to help others prevent theirs from breaking, but my other buddy had it happen to him on a Cherokee the other day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jmo

Question for the guys on 40’s and one tons..

I’m about to order the psc steering box, ram, and pump. Should I go with the Xd big bore box or save the money and go with the standard box??

I want to keep the steering to feel normal as possible as I everyday drive this jeep right now.

boardsurfer

I have to chime in here today. It has been about a week and a half with the big bore installed in my Jeep. Slimebones graciously invited me over to his garage to help with the install, and believe me I am grateful. This is not something I could have done on my own.

Install shenanigans aside (we made a mess of epic proportions) the whole thing installed about as expected. And it drives.. oh god.. it drives soo good. I am serious, I'm in love with my Jeep all over again

The constant corrections to steering wheel, the wandering around following every little nook and cranny in the road - GONE. The Jeep drives arrow-straight and it just stays there. It is amazing.

This is one of those cases where you dont know what you dont know. Before this install I would have told you my Jeep drives just fine. I understood the trade-offs with having 37/13.50s on a daily driver. Working to keep it in my lane required a lot of attention. It wasnt squirrelly or dangerous, just required a lot of correction.

It has only seen one trail so far which didnt really require lockers although I did use them for the hell of it. Steering felt.. well it didnt really change at all with the lockers on. Granted, this was just a typical trail, not rock crawling. On the road, the effort to move the wheel is about the same as stock maybe slightly heavier.

Overall, super impressed with the Big Bore steering. For the record, I bought the XD2, non-ported version, no pump, no ram assist, just the box. Speaking of no pump, I dont notice any difference in low-speed feel with the stock pump. I park in a tight parking garage every day and navigating through there is no more difficult than any other road.

2 thumbs up. :thumb::thumb:

Jsouder53

Hooked
I have to chime in here today. It has been about a week and a half with the big bore installed in my Jeep. Slimebones graciously invited me over to his garage to help with the install, and believe me I am grateful. This is not something I could have done on my own.

Install shenanigans aside (we made a mess of epic proportions) the whole thing installed about as expected. And it drives.. oh god.. it drives soo good. I am serious, I'm in love with my Jeep all over again

The constant corrections to steering wheel, the wandering around following every little nook and cranny in the road - GONE. The Jeep drives arrow-straight and it just stays there. It is amazing.

This is one of those cases where you dont know what you dont know. Before this install I would have told you my Jeep drives just fine. I understood the trade-offs with having 37/13.50s on a daily driver. Working to keep it in my lane required a lot of attention. It wasnt squirrelly or dangerous, just required a lot of correction.

It has only seen one trail so far which didnt really require lockers although I did use them for the hell of it. Steering felt.. well it didnt really change at all with the lockers on. Granted, this was just a typical trail, not rock crawling. On the road, the effort to move the wheel is about the same as stock maybe slightly heavier.

Overall, super impressed with the Big Bore steering. For the record, I bought the XD2, non-ported version, no pump, no ram assist, just the box. Speaking of no pump, I dont notice any difference in low-speed feel with the stock pump. I park in a tight parking garage every day and navigating through there is no more difficult than any other road.

2 thumbs up. :thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the write up! You convinced me to add that to my list [emoji106]

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Those of you running 37s and either of the Big Bores, did you break and/or upgrade your drag link with it or are you still running the stock one?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Those of you running 37s and either of the Big Bores, did you break and/or upgrade your drag link with it or are you still running the stock one?

I upgraded mine couple weeks before I installed the steering box.
If you have a ram, you might be ok with factory

wjtstudios

Hooked

I bent the shit out of my OEM with the OEM box. The Big Bore would bend it in a heart beat. You need to upgrade it. I run a fusion 4x4 and am very happy with it.

Jkjon

Hey guys just a quick update. I've had my box installed for a few hundred miles now; it turns like butter and is solid as a rock on the highway. However, I was curious if any of you guys have developed an audible tick when steering? It doesn't happen at any specific spot in the steering stroke and appears to be dependent how much load is on the box. It's difficult to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, and you can't feel the tick when touching the box :hmm: .

I'll get in touch with PSC, but figured I would ask here first. Apologies for the spastic video

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, that’s odd. It sounds like it it may in the linkage. Track bar, drag link and or tie rod ends can get a little play and make a sound like that. Definitely talk with PSC. Their customer service is top notch.

Hey guys just a quick update. I've had my box installed for a few hundred miles now; it turns like butter and is solid as a rock on the highway. However, I was curious if any of you guys have developed an audible tick when steering? It doesn't happen at any specific spot in the steering stroke and appears to be dependent how much load is on the box. It's difficult to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, and you can't feel the tick when touching the box :hmm: .

I'll get in touch with PSC, but figured I would ask here first. Apologies for the spastic video

I have noticed that when I turn in somewhere making a left, a left only I get a quick tick, I can't replicate the tick like you can by shifting left and right with your steering. Mine is usually with a hard left typically a 90 degree from a main road. Can't do it at slower speeds needs to be a sufficient 5 to 10 mph roll/coast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Well, I just finished installing the PSC Big Bore XD Cylinder assist kit. (SK 281)

Psc included pre-made pressure lines, no need to use any of the OEM line for anything. They also included lots of parts for just in case scenarios 9hose fittings etc). The new steering box is a BEAST!! You will need help installing that if nothing else. The install instructions are nonexistent, there are some drawings that show routing for the hoses but not much else. I sent an email to PSC and asked if there are install instructions and they sent me a Youtube video put out by Havoc Offroad which was helpful but not complete. I got most of the install done but still had some questions so I called PSC and they were very helpful...

I'm running 37's on my JK and the difference is night and day!!! I can sit there and spin the wheel lock to lock with one finger. I've only done a short test drive and I'm very happy so far. I did detect a small leak at the steering box (probably just need to tighten a fitting).

So far my overall impression is Amazing. I can't wait to get out on the rocks and really test it out!

Top Bottom