Overlanding Gear

TrailHunter

Hooked
Bumping this up to see if anyone has heard of Element fire extinguishers. It’s a completely different technology and looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Looks interesting for sure..... but the crappy & lack of videos is strange.... It's pricey & also, seems like you need to be pretty close to the fire.... cool concept though.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Looks interesting for sure..... but the crappy & lack of videos is strange.... It's pricey & also, seems like you need to be pretty close to the fire.... cool concept though.

Leno has a video and explanation of it on YouTube in his Leno’s garage thing. $80 is pricey, but the space savings and fact that it never goes bad is appealing. As is the fact that is blows for 50 seconds compared to the 7-10 you get from a 5lb extinguisher. You could put these things pretty much anywhere in the Jeep.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Leno has a video and explanation of it on YouTube in his Leno’s garage thing. $80 is pricey, but the space savings and fact that it never goes bad is appealing. As is the fact that is blows for 50 seconds compared to the 7-10 you get from a 5lb extinguisher. You could put these things pretty much anywhere in the Jeep.

Yeah, I saw the Leno one... it is a year old though... if they go mainstream, I'd get a couple.

Ddays

Hooked
That's pretty cool and I bet would work in a lot of instances, but if you have a large area I wonder how effective it would be? In my infamous T-Case grenade, I had fluid under the whole bottom of the Jeep on fire. WIth one of these looks like I would have had to wave it all over the place fairly close to the flames to get it all out. WIth my extinguisher I was able to spray a large area very quickly so only a few wires were burnt. This looks like an excellent supplement to a standard extinguisher though.

jdofmemi

That looks effective.

I love how it is easy to store, and it allegedly does not hurt anything, unlike what can sometimes happen with a normal extinguisher.

I may add one to my Jeep.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Been looking at that and also the deepsleep version for our JKURs.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Rescue/traction boards: hype or helpful?

Let me know what you have, what you have used, and whether you think they are effective.

jdofmemi

Let me know what you have, what you have used, and whether you think they are effective.

Helpful, sometimes.

One thing I have seen in nearly all the ads for them is simply shoving the end down under the tire as far as you can and driving out.

I have tried that many times, and it has rarely worked, and never as easy as the ads show.

What does work is to jack the tires up and get them fully under. I have driven right out of the snow that way.

I have also used them to traverse icy side slopes to keep from sliding down into a deep ravine.

In rocks, I usually leave them home, but for mud, sand, snow, and exploring unknown terrain, I like to have at least a pair.

I have the cheap knock off ones. They don't stack as well as Mattracks, and are not as durable either, but for 1/4 the price, they do fine.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I keep a set of MaxTrax in my Ram and occasionally take them in the trail in the Jeep. They are great for recovering cars that slid off snowy roads. A lot easier than using a straps or winch to extract them. They are great, but for use on the trail, I just prefer to winch myself out if I get stuck either on the rocks or in the mud.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I did the milk crate trick you can find on YouTube. My opinion is those treads take too much room for something that’s rarely needed. 2 cut milk crates and some zip ties has worked for me.

MericaMade

I did the milk crate trick you can find on YouTube. My opinion is those treads take too much room for something that’s rarely needed. 2 cut milk crates and some zip ties has worked for me.

Ha, I'm going to give that a look.

CalSgt

Hooked

Huh... I'm looking that up too. I've been thinking about a set of these for snow wheeling

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I slid off a logging trail last week into about 4’ of lake effect snow. Used them and the winch to get out. Not going to lie tho, that type of snow, the winch did the bulk of the work. IMG_8153.jpg

Brute

Hooked

I bring a quad set of Maxtrax’s whenever I go out in the snow...and mostly used them in other peoples rigs (it seems to attract 4Runners mostly)...big time saver over digging with a shovel and trying to use your floor mats (which usually doesn’t work)...and as Jerry said, usually you just can’t jam them in front of the tire, but it helps to use one end of the board as a shovel to dig out a bit in front of the tire to get the board under the tire

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom