The building of Bison

wjtstudios

Hooked
I really do like Trail Graps - they're a classic looking tire. If I didn't have such good luck with my Coopers I would have gone that route. Weird how 40's are only C rated :thinking:

I saw that too. It is weird

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m struggling a bit on how much I can chop out of the rear wheel wells.

The silver line is what I think I need cut on the front side of the well.

IMG_2516.jpg

This silver line is the rear cut line.

Adjustments.jpg

Both will eliminate a couple body welds. Can anyone post of a picture of what those cuts look like after. Just a bit spooked to cut into the Jeep this much.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Depending how much lift you have you will need to cut a lot more. I’m sitting at 3.5” and cut at least another 1”

You need to cut into the foam

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m sitting at 4.5”. I really did not want to get into the foam. I’m assuming the foam and body at the front part of the well.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I’m sitting at 4.5”. I really did not want to get into the foam. I’m assuming the foam and body at the front part of the well.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Your sitting higher so it may not be an issue, but I wouldn’t worry about cutting more. I didn’t cut enough when I first did mine and it left some marks in the tires, no big deal, I just cut a bunch more. I haven’t seen any issues, and would not be concerned with cutting more

Edit: I’ll take some photos tomorrow afternoon if I remember and post them

wjtstudios

Hooked
Your sitting higher so it may not be an issue, but I wouldn’t worry about cutting more. I didn’t cut enough when I first did mine and it left some marks in the tires, no big deal, I just cut a bunch more. I haven’t seen any issues, and would not be concerned with cutting more

Edit: I’ll take some photos tomorrow afternoon if I remember and post them

Thank you. I’ll be work focused for the next couple days getting caught up. I’ll probably do the chop over the weekend.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
What do you guys think about these cuts, enough?? I tried to get them as close to what I could see in Eddie’s cut of Rubicat.

Front cut.

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

Rear cut.

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
Yup, I'd say that's a good start. Be hard to get it right the first time, especially since the new axles & tires aren't on yet. Once you can flex it out you'll probably need to tweak it some.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Looks good to me. [emoji106] If there’s any excessive rubbing you can always cut a little more off later.

That’s kinda my thought. You can always cut more, but it’s slot harder putting it back on if I cut too much.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Put the tires on and then cut. Take it out and where it runs cut more. You’ll never get it right just by guessing even before you have the 40’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yup, I'd say that's a good start. Be hard to get it right the first time, especially since the new axles & tires aren't on yet. Once you can flex it out you'll probably need to tweak it some.

I templated out a 39.75” arch and mounted it 5” above center point of axle. I had 1/2” or more to all the cuts. The rock hard rails were within a 1/4” and the AEV water tank was into the tire arch by a 1/2” which I suspected. I feel pretty good about it, but until everything is mounted up, I agree, I won’t know for sure.

So I will foam and then paint and this side is done. Can you paint directly onto the foam once it’s cured or do I need to apply something over it?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom