How much is too much?

xxJWPxx

I'm talking about the distance between your tire and fender at level stance. I've been wanting to chop my fenders for a while but haven't because I'm concerned the gap between the top of my tire and the flat fender will dwarf my 35's.
My current lift is a Trail Master 3.5" lift, which yielded me about 4.25" on my two door. Wheels are 17" Rubicon take offs and 35x12.50 BFG KM2's.

What do you consider too much "open space"?

Anyone running a similar lift height/tire set up with flat fenders?

Here are are few pics of my set up.

Attachments

• IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 271
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 274
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 273

Sharkey

Word Ninja
This is a personal opinion...but I think if you cut the fenders it will make your jeep look like a roller skate. That is a lot of lift just for 35's...cutting the fenders will make it worse.

Tylerself17

I'd say you have the perfect amount of space, my jk has a 4 inch lift and 37's but my rockers and front & rear bumpers weight it down a little. I ended up cutting mine because it was rubbing in the rear and cutting into the tire, I'd say it opened mine up about 6-8 inches

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is a personal opinion...but I think if you cut the fenders it will make your jeep look like a roller skate. That is a lot of lift just for 35's...cutting the fenders will make it worse.

What he said ^^^. Well, that is unless you like the 1980's sky high look.

4" of lift or more is just way too much lift for just a set of 35's. Hell, I run a set of 40's with just 3.5" of lift.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I say no cutting here also. If you did cut them, I think it would be too much space between the fender and tire and look goofy. Unless you cut them on purpose to make yourself buy 37s. [emoji106]

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I say only do it if you are rubbing and if your not I wouldn't touch them. Your pretty high the way it is. I cut mine because I was rubbing.

t8er

I ran 35's on 3.5" of lift and I Putin cut fenders before I upgraded to 37's. It looked crazy tall with cut fenders and 35's. With the 37's it looks perfect now. I'd say don't cut unless you're gonna drop to a 2 or 2.5" lift

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would not cut them unless you lower the jeep down on a different lift or upgrade to 37s. I personally think un cut look the best running 35s since to me, it makes them look even bigger. just my :twocents:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have to agree with Hinrichs here. That's a lot of lift for 35s and in my opinion already look small. Here's my rig with 35s and 3" of actual lift.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444746530.812200.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444746564.209960.jpg

In the pictures the tires on my rig appear to be bigger because of the difference in tire/fender gap, even though they are the same tire. In my opinion, your tires would look ridiculously small if you cut the fenders. I'd say in order for it to look right you would need to go up in tire size or down in lift size. Again, just my opinion. Nice rig by the way!

Ddays

Hooked
I'd say keep it the way it is as well. Looks good.

Also, I have to commend you on getting the flag decal correct on the passenger fender. One of my pet peeves to see those done incorrectly.

xxJWPxx

Thanks all for the replies. I had come to the do not cut conclusion before starting this thread but the part of me that always wants to tinker/modify the jeep kept creeping back to should I cut. I'm leaving them as is for now... until I inevitably go up to 37's :D

Top Bottom