Best Jeep Tires for Winter and Snow

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The newer Cooper STT Pro's are apparently really great in snow, also incredible off road. I have them but haven't been in ice/snow with them yet, but Eddie swears by them.

I should clarify that my reviews of the Cooper STT Pros in the snow is based on a comparison of all the "mud terrain" tires I've run in the past. This is NOT to say that they perform better than a good "all terrain" tire.

For snow and ice, it's really hard to beat a set of Duratracs.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I run Duratrac's on my Tacoma. Great tire. Handle great in mild mud/rocky terrain, and amazing in the winter. You would be really happy with them, and you could run them year round.

The BAD Influence

Our Hankook Dynapro ATM were incredible the past two winters. Not that great in mud, but good everywhere else. 25,000 miles, rotating all five and fully believe we'll get well over 60,000 miles out of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

sinawalli

My wife and I purchased our first Jeep this spring, and couldnt be happier! Our 2014 JKU Rubicon came with a few aftermarket accessories and modifications, such as; a 3" lift, kc head lights, and 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MT Tires.

While these tires have fantastic traction on mud and dirt, I fear that they may not meet our needs for a Minnesota winter.

Some folks will get an extra set of wheels and tires strictly for winter use, wich i have no issues with. Yet ther are tires on the market that may be good enough year round for tarmac, gravel, sand, mud, AND snow.

I NEED OPINIONS!
Thank You! View attachment 263551

Mr Beedle

I am from Alberta, Canada. We are no stranger to winter! I have been running mud tires year round for over 20 years! Yeah, they suck on ice, deal with it, drive slower! Some are better than others! I have mudders on a 06 Cummins that I drove for 7 years before I got my Jeep. Hardly used 4x4. Nothing sucks worse in snow than a diesel in 2x4. Rarely had issues! Just drive to the conditions, not like a 16 year old who just got his licence. You'll be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Labricon

Caught the Bug
I am in Manitoba and run Duratracs all year. They are great in winter and so well in mud, sand and gravel. My son runs Toyo MT's on a GMC pickup with no complaints but being 21 he probably enjoys a little drift every now and again without trying[emoji16]

sm31

After a lot of deliberation & research, I just pulled the trigger on a set of studded Dura-tracs. My MT tires performed adequately in the Casper WY winters where snow was very dry. But here in AK, I'm anticipating winters more like the MN variety where snow can be wet & icy.

Since tires aren't too much trouble to swap, store, etc., I opted for having the "best" (in my opinion) tires for my purposes... all year long.

Jheapr

I just got a set of Yokohama Geolandar G015's and they are supposed to be pretty spectacular in the snow, can't wait to try them out.

0B80E130-2CAD-433B-8209-1EA58BCA54D8.jpg

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I used to have 35" Baja's and I thought they did great in the snow. Maybe try them before buying extra wheels and tires.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

This^^ I have the Baja MT on my jk , live in Pennsylvania and have had no problems with them in the snow, my wife has Duratracs on her jk and they work great in the snow also. Give the MT baja's a try before you spend the money.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

The go-to answer for me on this will always be KO2s. I live in Colorado. Daily drove them in the winter. Wheeled them in the summer. They handled it all.

I have BFGs KO and they are excellent. I read all reviews saying the KO2s are even better, so highly recommended.

I use mine on streets and trails with the same ease, mud, snow, asphalt, etc...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JWCA

I run Duratrac's and they served me well this past winter in The Sirrea's (Hwy 50 between Placerville CA and Carson City NV). My coworkers who snowmobile run Toyo MT's on their big trucks (1 ton) and swear by them.

sm31

Just a quick update on my experience with studded Duratracs so far this winter. In a word... EXCELLENT. I am truly impressed with this combo on packed snow & ice.

My jeep has been in 4H for the last 2 weeks due to driving conditions around here. Somehow I managed to survive 5 Wyoming winters on M/T (MTR-K's, not the worst MT tire on snow...) tires but the Duratracs have transformed my jeep's winter driving performance, and the studs provide that little extra for the ice around here.

Also had a chance to test the Duratracs in some trail conditions just before the snow came in. We hit about 15 miles of a trail that the JKX group did when they came to Alaska. There were times I was definitely missing the M/T's (it had been raining and the trail followed a river with multiple crossings) but I was reasonably satisfied with their off-road performance as well.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Curious how the STT pros do in rainy conditions at highway speeds (and braking) as well as compacted road snow/ice. MT tires always do well in offroad snow, since the lugs act like claws, but they have problems with compacted snow. Cooper seems to market the STT pro as an AT tire and it's even M+S rated.

BobNH

Just happened on a tire article today and among the good "all weather" rated tires were the Duratracs. Apparently this goes beyond just the M+S rating, and way beyond "all season". Something about a marking you can find on them, an image of a three peak mountain and a snow flake, and they are described as 3PMSF tires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There is NO replacement for a dedicated winter tire. They are amazing and once you have tried them you will never want to go back. All seasons and a/t m/t are “good in most great in none” and will never be as good as a blizzak or general arctic etc. In my little fed car in snows I could plow through and around things 4x4s we’re struggling with. That said they are an expensive addition, and if you don’t live somewhere that really needs them you can do without them quite easily.

IMG_1254.jpg

Top Bottom