Is the ecodiesel or turbo engine worth waiting for??

jdofmemi

It’s funny I’ve heard the same thing too, but I sold countless EcoDiesels and not once did I ever have a customer coming into our service department for anything other than regular maintenance. In fact I only ever recall one ever being in the shop for anything other then regular maintenance and it was because the dudes wife put gasoline instead of diesel in it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

☝️☝️This

They are great if you drive it yourself.

Don't let wives, girlfriends, brothers, or especially employees drive one. They WILL fuck it up.
Once they have had either gas or DEF in the fuel tank, they are never the same.
Mine (the one I got new) got passed down to an employee. After an $8,000 repair, it now gets 18 to 20 mpg instead of 26 to 28 like it did when I drove it.

I also had a Chevy Cruze Diesel fee years ago. It got 46+ mpg until the wife's daughter drove it one time and put gas in it. After repairs, it never broke 40 mpg after that.

Tonopah

I have a JK 6 spd 2 dr Rubicon and a 2005 auto LJ and like them both, so I am not in hurry to jump on the JL bandwagon but, I am intrigued by the eventual 3.0 diesel option. A 240 hp 400 foot pound diesel might be really sweet -- if it works reliably. Wait and see mode for me.

Gotta think that FCA has been working hard to improve that VM Motori motor, but I have also heard something about FCA coming out with an entirely new diesel (probably internet BS though).

jesse3638

Hooked
[emoji3516][emoji3516]This

They are great if you drive it yourself.

Don't let wives, girlfriends, brothers, or especially employees drive one. They WILL fuck it up.
Once they have had either gas or DEF in the fuel tank, they are never the same.
Mine (the one I got new) got passed down to an employee. After an $8,000 repair, it now gets 18 to 20 mpg instead of 26 to 28 like it did when I drove it.

I also had a Chevy Cruze Diesel fee years ago. It got 46+ mpg until the wife's daughter drove it one time and put gas in it. After repairs, it never broke 40 mpg after that.
You'd think it wasn't that hard. I used to mess with a coworker. All our trucks have been diesel and we had a loaner powerwagon from the office. It was gas but everytime I was with him and he was putting gas in it is yell "what are you doing it takes diesel". That truck got more gas baths when he ripped the nozzle out of the tank..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

I have a JK 6 spd 2 dr Rubicon and a 2005 auto LJ and like them both, so I am not in hurry to jump on the JL bandwagon but, I am intrigued by the eventual 3.0 diesel option. A 240 hp 400 foot pound diesel might be really sweet -- if it works reliably. Wait and see mode for me.

Gotta think that FCA has been working hard to improve that VM Motori motor, but I have also heard something about FCA coming out with an entirely new diesel (probably internet BS though).

i'm in a 2017 JKU. So, i'm a couple of years away from potentially upgrading to a JL or JT. Plenty of time to see the diesel come out.

Tonopah

So the 3.0 eco diesel is now supposed to be 260hp/480fps of torque. A Gen ll eco diesel that will roll out in the Ram and presumably the wrangler/gladiator. Yet more intriguing.

SLO

I’m glad to hear that it’s a second generation. I had a 3.0 Eco Diesel in a Grand Cherokee that I sold a few years back and I’m still getting recall notices including a pretty major one I received in the mail yesterday.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Totally different engine, but similar in size and power, but I have a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI. It’s a 3.0L V-6 VW engine with the same 8 speed trans that’ll be behind the JL/JT. It weighs 5500lbs. It accelerates quick for its size, and I get just shy of 30mpg on the highway (28-29ish at 75mph), and I get 24-25mpg with a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving. It rarely revs above 2500rpm. It typically shifts at 1800-2200rpm. It merges into the highway quickly and quietly without revving very high. It passes other cars on the highway and climbs grades without ever downshifting out of 8th gear, and holds speeds on grades without much throttle input and without downshifting. I fuel it up once a month. It’s had the emissions “fix” done due to the VW dieselgate emissions scandal, and it’s still amazing. Love it. If the diesel the JL/JT will get is anything close to the driving experience I have in my Q7, I’ll be stoked. The power is similar. IIRC my Audi TDI is rated at 240hp and 408ft/lbs of torque.

Last edited:

Big MAK

The wait is unbearable... and maybe not worth it.

I owned a ZR2 with a VM diesel (2.8L) and I had to get rid of it. "Normal" EGT 1100 degrees and regen 3 times per tank. Basically it was perpetually in meltdown mode. During regen the EGT would exceed 1900 - which was almost all the time at 3 times per tank. I was scared to put the engine under load (didn't dare tow with it). In hindsight I should have hooked up a trailer and watched it melt but I didn't want to die in it either. Quite likely the emissions stuff was not functioning properly but unable to get anything fixed that didn't fail catastrophically. So ... wasn't worth the trouble.

Since the EcoDiesel's from VM and its going into the Gladiator (and other Ram trucks) - I absolutely want the diesel but wish it was from a reputable source like Cummins.

So I'm looking for some validation on just ordering a 3.6L gasser ...

Even though the mileage is horrible and the torque is really low it might be worth avoiding the VM problems. Heck if the EcoDiesel was a Cummins it would have been released in the RAM and Wrangler years ago but Chrysler is required to support Fiat/VM/GeneralMotors.

Cribbs13

Time frame

Does anyone have a release date yet? I have a2015 JKU I am selling so I can get ready for the JT diesel.

BoiseRob

I wonder if the EcoDiesel Dana 44 is stronger than the standard Rubicon D44 axle? I heard 'rumors" that the EcoDiesel comes standard with Dana chromoly axles but I haven't found any online verification yet. Maybe the upgraded chromoly axles are what FCA considers "stronger"?
Nice thing is you can upgrade to 37" tires and only need to re-gear with 4.10's and 40" will only need 4.56's.
I want to add an 3.5" Evo lift but I wonder when they'll have kits for the EcoDiesel since the engine is 400lbs heavier?

Top Bottom