3.6L V6 Thermostat Housing Replacement

j3fflan3

Thanks for the simple writeup!

I just replaced my Thermostat today following these instructions after getting the engine warning light with the P0128 code (My Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2013 is at 50k miles). The light initially stayed on in the first test drive. But by the second, it no longer displayed. The temperature is perfect. Thanks so much!

P.S. - I use this site for Torque specs: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-torque-settings#nv241or

Last edited:

RioGrandeJK

I'll be doing this tomorrow, just noticed a small leak/crack in my housing. The price has gone up some since this was posted, my dealership wants $51

Randy Tadevich

Perfecto! I have a leak and was trying to figure out where its comming from. Just went and checked after reading your write-up, and sure enough, there it is. Much appreciated scull20.

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eggdashure

Thanks again for this write up. :thumb:

I just finished replacing my housing tonight after finding coolant puddles on the ground. Easy job, but I struggled with the hose clamp...my pliers weren't up to the task. :doh:

rowemommy

Very Helpful

I believe it was either from a video at the time I had watched or a different non-jeep forum that had explained some of the process for replacing the housing for the 3.6 but on a different FCA vehicle (charger or GC?).

At any rate, mines been at 105 in-lbs since I installed it and hasn't leaked a bit.

Glad the write up helped you out.

Thank you, it is very informative and the diagrams were a tremendous help. Do you have one on changing the spark plugs for 2013. ;);)

Thunder

Will be doing this soon. Noticed some pink on the garage floor this morning and checked the reservoir; almost empty. Source of leak appears to be the same. Ordered parts tonight.
Great write-up! Thank you!

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Very, very helpful write up. I’ve smelled coolant on my 14 since new. Took it to the dealer once and they couldn’t find anything. So I left it alone. My coolant would leak so slow that it was never an issue. The past half a year. It had been leaking way quicker than it ever had. Today when I made a hard stop and turned my vehicle where I made said stop. I smelled a ton of coolant and even saw a bit of smoke (coolant on hot parts). I finally saw a puddle of coolant and saw it come from by the thermostat. Wouldn’t you know it, it had about 6 hairlines that met up in the middle and I guess caused the decent little pool of coolant. Hopefully this has been the leak I’ve been smelling since new. But I also got a check engine light after the t-stat install. So, I might run it a bit tomorrow, and if all seems fine and doesn’t go away on its own. I might just try what the other user did and try to cycle the engine/disconnect the battery to see if it takes the light off.

(Update): After driving it around a couple of times, and letting it warm up and cool down. The engine light came off on its own. I think this finally resolved my leaking issue. I haven’t smelled coolant like I usually do. Im going to keep my eye on the reservoir to see if it indeed stays full.

Once again, great write up!

Last edited:

n3tfury

3 years after I said I was going to do this, I did it. The original one was a very slight crack, but recently it got a bit worse. Great directions!

Good write up. Easiest swap of all time. CEL came on Thursday with no symptoms. Threw the ol P0128.

Had a thermostat in my basement from a preventative maintenance purchasing round earlier this year. Also had 2 gallons of coolant in the garage. Nice when that happens.

No more code.

I bet you’re out there crusin the streets of north Jersey right now, Scull20…

IMG_8486.gif

Top Bottom